Kangaroo Shooting in NSW

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Kangaroo Shooting in NSW

#1 Post by erron » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:13 pm

Dear All

The NSW Government has put forward a proposal to open a new commercial
kangaroo zone in SE NSW, enabling kangaroo to be commercially harvested
there for the first time.

For decades considerable numbers of kangaroos have been culled in this
region under damage mitigation permits and the total populations have
also increased dramatically. The proposal will allow this cull to be
turned into a commercial harvest.

However it has predictably come up for considerable opposition from the
vocal micro minority who oppose wildlife utilisation. So much so that I
am told expressions of support for it are needed in political circles.

As these things go the politicians have as yet heard very little from
those who support this positive development but lots against it.

Can I ask you please to send a note of support for the proposal to the
two Ministers who count, no matter that you may not be in NSW, and also
to circulate this appeal as widely within supportive circles as you can.

Please write to

Hon Bob Debus, Minister for Environment NSW
bob.debus@debus.minister.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Dr David Kemp MP, Federal Minister for Environment
D.Kemp.MP@aph.gov.au

Please point out that all kangaroo harvests are tightly and responsibly
controlled and that this proposal seeks simply to add value to
what is currently a wasted resource, and creat jobs in doing so.

regards
John Kelly
Executive Officer
Kangaroo Industries Association of Australia
PO Box 447, Woden, 2606
ph (03) 6326 8639
fax (03) 6326 2790
Email kiaa@bigpond.net.au
website http://www.kangaroo-industry.asn.au

Dennis La Varenne

#2 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:11 am

To all bowhunters,
I was once involved in assisting a bloke in Western Victoria to prepare a submission to have a small scale Kangaroo industry set up in Victoria.

It involved nothing bigger than allowing officially appointed Government cullers to retrieve the carcasses of roos culled under pest destruction permit for commercial use. We got nowhere.

However, as part of our homework, we needed to have a look at how the kangaroo industry was set up and controlled all over Australia.

What was quite impressive was the level of control and accountability required both by the Commonwealth Department of the Environment and the State Governernments. Both NSW and Queensland have particularly stringent controls and accountability standards.

Kangaroos are actually counted each year by transect, vehicle and air, and the quota established is that no more than 15% of the total population can be shot in any year if numbers allow.

In Queensland, particularly, shooters can be stopped from shooting at a few hours notice once a quota has been shot in any one particular shooting district, and the shooters must go elsewhere.

In no year has more than 10% of the population been shot since the Kangaroo industry officially began back in the 1960s I think it was. Population wise, that is an insignificant impact on population viability any way you look at it.

In recent years, there have been two Parliamentary investigations on the sustainable use of native animals and plants by both the Federal and Victorian State Government, both of which I have read.

The principle contention of many of those who submitted to these investigatory committees was that Australians needed to do something to reduce the total grazing pressure from all herbivorous animals on our inland range lands to prevent their desertification in the forseeable future.

To do that, agriculturalists could and would need to reduce their domestic animal load. However, they could not reduce the grazing pressure from wild kangaroos whose numbers were not controllable without there being some commercial incentive for them to include kangaroo meat as an agricultural commodity.

That made a great deal of both commercial and ecological sense to me.

Whatever one feels philosophically about the commercial shooting of kangaroos, the industry has no impact upon population viability at all under the present controls.

The whole argument is one of philosophy and not of ecology as the animal rights people try to misrepresent. These people want to ban it because they don't like it and NOT because they can justify their argument on ecological grounds.

I would urge all of you to support Mr Kelly's rquest for assistance.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Dennis La Varenne

#3 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:20 am

To all -

I have read in a Melbourne newspaper today, 10th December, that the new kangaroo hunting district in Southern NSW has indeed been opened. the article went on to say that it was opened despite kangaroo numbers being very low because of the drought.

From my research into the controls imposed by Governments throughout Australia, I very seriously doubt the truth of this statement. It reads like the mandatory reply to the situation by animal rights advocates so the article demonstrates lack of bias.

Congratulations to the Kangaroo Industry.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

vegie

#4 Post by vegie » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:23 am

Hi Dennis,
There is moves a foot to have roos in NSW surrounding the Act culled. The grennies are claiming that the numbers of roos are down because of the drought and the bushfires. Obviuosly someone forgot to tell the roos there is still plenty of them around and driving at night you have a good chance of hitting one. My logic to that statement is roos are active at night not during the heat of the day when the greenies are doing their surveys.
I live about 1/2 hour out of the ACT but work in Canberra and would see a fresh road killed roo every day and several is not uncommon.

Another campain of misinformation, one paddock near home there is usually between 30 and 50 roos in it every evening ( and I have stopped and counted them on several occasions so my numbers are accurate).

I agree the Kangaroo industry is very well organised and professional in the way it is both managed and conducted.

ozlongbow

#5 Post by ozlongbow » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:15 am

meanwhile you can't buy kangaroo-related products in California. there's a state that needs a wake-up call, but don't hold your breath.
Lindsay
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Tuffcity

#6 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:41 pm

Side note: This evening my wife had some cut up sausage on the table to snack on and my daughter asked if it was bear sausage. Nope. Moose?, she inquired hopefully. Nope. I jokingly told her it was kangaroo. Cool! she exclaims and plowed right in. She was most disappointed when I told her it was just ham... :D

How is 'roo meat anyway?

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

ozlongbow

#7 Post by ozlongbow » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:50 pm

Roo meat is very nice - not as good as a steak IMO but its very lean.
L
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Griffo

#8 Post by Griffo » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:09 pm

Roo meat is actually served up on the menu in Australian Hospitals to CVD (cardio vascular disease), atherosclerosis and heart attack (etc) patients as it is very low in cholesterol.

Griffo

Buford

#9 Post by Buford » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:49 pm

i tried some crocodile steaks when in perth a few years back. kinda like eatin tough fleshed chicken. it had to be marinaded i was told, or it would be to tough.

buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

erron

#10 Post by erron » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:35 pm

roo meat cooked right - on the rare side - is my favourite meat.

:P

Erron

Tuffcity

#11 Post by Tuffcity » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:21 am

Does it put a little extra spring in your step after a good meal?? :D Sorry, really bad pun.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

RICKO

#12 Post by RICKO » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:55 am

Hey there Tuff, very good one for canada :D :D