Price of Feathers ???

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Coach

Price of Feathers ???

#1 Post by Coach » Wed May 14, 2008 8:35 pm

I just priced some feathers online from a shop in Canberra and for 5" Feathers they are $59 a 100 :o A few months ago they were $40 , what the hell has happened ? Are they Gold plated ?
Think I might have to find a Turkey farm or start buying from the States at those prices :roll:
Where does everyone get their feathers from ?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Price of Feathers ???

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed May 14, 2008 8:42 pm

I don't know the up to date prices but I get my stuff from John at AMSO. You would think that the prices would have gone down not up considering the value of our dollar against the US dollar.

Jeff

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Wed May 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:You would think that the prices would have gone down not up considering the value of our dollar against the US dollar.

Jeff
Yeah , you would think so , especially when a large store buys in bulk . I will give John a yell , he has been great so far :D

FORRO

#4 Post by FORRO » Wed May 14, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi Coach
I got some 5'' cut feathers from T.I.A.C @ .80 each and full length @ $ 1.30 each so your price was a good price
Keith

losty

#5 Post by losty » Wed May 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Bit nasty that the same company has inflated the prices near 50% though. Mus be rare turkeys. We all might need to get our last few feathers and make up some hunting shafts and go to king island or something.
There's no adventure in knowing where you are.

Coach

#6 Post by Coach » Thu May 15, 2008 6:18 am

FORRO wrote:Hi Coach
I got some 5'' cut feathers from T.I.A.C @ .80 each and full length @ $ 1.30 each so your price was a good price
Keith
Havent they always been a bit pricey ? I know 3 rivers has then for about $40AUD :wink:

Axe

#7 Post by Axe » Thu May 15, 2008 8:23 am

Plain 5" feathers $32 / 100 from Kustom King, wasn't that long ago the shop Coach talks about was around the same money, very hard to buy local when the price is double, especially when our dollar is as strong as it is now

As an aside...Just bought some stuff from AMSO, as has been said before, John is a gentleman, price was excellent and recieved my goods day after placing order
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"

perry

#8 Post by perry » Fri May 16, 2008 7:15 am

It's a complete disgrace that we can import tackle cheaper than buying locally . :?

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Slackshot

#9 Post by Slackshot » Sat May 17, 2008 3:33 pm

There is a guy down in Victoria who sells feathers from his turkey farm for 50 cents rh and lh .He used to advertise in Archery Action :mrgreen:
Slackshot aka Gary Case

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by greybeard » Sat May 17, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi Perry,

I believe you are being a little harsh on the Australian archery suppliers.

If these suppliers ceased to exist a lot of people would be faced with a drought when it comes to obtaining archery related items.

One must remember to factor in costs such as shop rental and other outgoings, maintaining a stock inventory [big dollar value, which is paid for in advance] taxes and wages just to mention a few. Many small items such as nocks, field points and feathers are bought in bulk and have to be repackaged for retail sale. On top of that they have to make a profit to stay in business.

Although the Aus dollar may be strong against the US dollar there may have been price increases in the US that are starting to filter through.You must also take into account that the banks have a buy and sell rate when dealing in overseas currencies.

On the subject of feathers it is amazing how many broken arrows you see thrown in the bin and the feathers are in near perfect condition.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....