FITA Trad.

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

FITA Trad.

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:50 am

Morning All

I was just reading the March edition of the FITA "INFO" e-Newsletter and what do I find - an article on Bamboo Bows in Africa.

It Appears that some African nations are developing their archer using more traditional equipment and they are making their own bows.
Local Selection in Benin – 17 February-15 March 2008
Archery with Bamboo Bows
The clubs have learnt how to use a bow sight until a selection process made in each of the six
geographical departments of Benin. This event took place from 17 February to 15 March 2008.
The shooting distances of this event were 30 and 25 meters for the long distances, and 20 and 15
meters for the short ones. Every archer shot 18 arrows at each distance.
A workshop of fletching making was organized in the Atlantic region. The objective was to
improve equipment efficiency.
National Structure Programme in Niger
This year the Niger Olympic Committee has decided to include in their development programme
the national structure of archery. The opening ceremony took place on 22 March in the presence
of the Minister of Sports and President of National Olympic Committee. The first part of the
programme was completed after 6 days of intensive work with the participation of 9 carpenters
who learned how to make bows, arrows, bamboo accessories, etc.
NOTE Like all FITA things this is not the fastest connection but it eventually does arrive.

http://www.archeryworldcup.org/UserFile ... 2008-e.pdf
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

jape

#2 Post by jape » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:40 am

Maybe we will have to get these definitions threads sorted out quickly Grahame! They use carbon fibre recurves don't they in the Olympics? If a bunch of Africans turn up with bamboo bows and arrows that will give our trad archers a chance of getting a round or two in the future ... is that too much to dream of?

I see they used to have a round of shooting at a 'moving bird' target in the good old days - I can just see Mick Smith at the 2012 Olympics letting loose at swinging body board targets!!! :lol: