Ozlongbow's Media 'Kit'

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

ozlongbow

Ozlongbow's Media 'Kit'

#1 Post by ozlongbow » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:24 am

Here's the how to guide - hope its of use! I've got it in the body of the msg as well as an attachment - its a .doc file. When I get time (ha!) I might put down some thoughts on hadlng the media - things I've learnt along the way that make it easier and more satisfactory for all concerned!

Writing a press release

Newspaper's editorial departments, like any business, are busy places. Quite often not every story a newspaper would like to cover can be covered, and decisions on what is and what is not covered are made every day, based on the news value of the story. For example, a dramatic sea rescue is going to be in the paper the next day, your club's annual general meeting is less likely to get the time and resources it needs to become a story when competing with other 'harder' news.
But there is a solution to this - and that is the press release.
Basically this is you and your organisation's way of letting the media know about something you would like them to cover. Done well, a press release can almost guarantee you coverage.
This short guide will give you a few tips and hints to producing a press release the media will welcome.

Keep it brief, keep it simple
Most press releases should be kept fairly short. Shorter stories have more chance of being used due to space restrictions in any newspaper. This is particularly true of The Advocate. As well, avoid using words or jargon that may confuse a reader. Punchy, bright stories are more attractive.

Every sentence is a new paragraph.
Newspapers' style is to make each sentence a new paragraph. This makes a story easier to read.

Structure your story.
Put the most important points at the top and work down the story to the lesser important points. Research shows few readers read a story top to bottom so by structuring a story correctly you will get your message across even if they don't read past the third paragraph.

Who, what, when, where, why and how
Your story should answer all these questions. Try to divorce yourself from what you know about the subject of the story and read it as a reader would. After you've read it, do you know everything about the subject you should?

Contacts please
Always include a contact name, phone number and address for people who may want further information. That
includes the journalist you send it to also.

Keep it legal, keep it clean
The libel and defamation laws of this country are a minefield. Obviously the paper will cut out anything that could get them - and you - into legal trouble.

Pictures speak a thousand words
Where possible and relevant, include a photograph. The vast majority of readers look at the pictures first. Make sure all people in pictures are named from left to right and include their titles, such as president, etc. Good, sharp, clear photographs are welcome. Photography is an art in itself of course but there are a few things to bear in mind.
Fill the frame - get as close to the subject as you can - then take a step forward. Too many pictures have the subject off in the distance.
Lighting - always avoid light sources from behind the subject. I always use the fill-in flash setting of my little point-and-shoot camera to reduce shadows on faces, etc.
Don't just line them up and shoot - try to make the picture more interesting without being corny.
Keep an eye on the background - there's nothing worse than a picture of someone who looks like there's a tree growing out of their head!

It doesn't have to be perfect.
When you have finished your story, read it. Now read it again. Get a family member or friend to read it. Does it make sense to them? If so, it should make sense to us. It doesn't have to be in perfect English, we can polish it up and rewrite were necessary. As long as all the facts are there, you are on a winner.

Methods of delivery
The best way to send a press release is via e-mail. This is because e-mailed stories are ready to go straight into the newsroom's system. Faxed and mailed stories are perfectly acceptable too, but require 'setting', that is, someone has to type the story into the system. Handwritten press releases are acceptable, but typewritten or printed from a computer are better because there is less chance of illegibility.

If you need any help, please feel free to ring me on (07) 4957 0323 (BH) or email lsaunders@dailymercury.com.au

Lindsay Saunders
Editor - The Daily Mercury, Mackay Qld[/b]

erron

#2 Post by erron » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:14 am

I brought this up to the top because of its importance, and usefulness.

Thanks Lindsay!

:)

Erron

Penno

#3 Post by Penno » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:33 pm

Good reading Lindsay
Your newsletter will be in the post soon
Been a big month
Lots of results
How about a new story for the newsletter for 2004

Adrian

erron

#4 Post by erron » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:08 am

What newsletter :?:

Buford

#5 Post by Buford » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:14 pm

erron,

thought i would answer for lindsay as he is in adelaide for the weekend.
they are talking about the 3DAAA archery newsletter. Lindsay was (maybe still is?) one of the first 50 members of the 3D archery association, (i think no. 47?) and therefore actually had a few friends by the time he left! (amazing i know) :lol:.

i think he was catching up on a 2 piece story, i told him about, on the IBO worlds in the states earlier this year, written by Paul Mann, amongst other things like keepin in touch with everyone he knows.

don't quote me on this but i think penno is a 3DAAA member too? Ipswich, QLD, club if i'm not mistaken.

cheers
buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

erron

#6 Post by erron » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:34 pm

Oh, okay, good stuff, great to have some of those guys on here!

:)

Erron

ozlongbow

#7 Post by ozlongbow » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:16 am

Thanks Buford!
Penno is in fact the editor/publisher - with wife Claire - of the 3DAAA newsletter.
L
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

danceswithdingoes

#8 Post by danceswithdingoes » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:57 pm

What the heck are you doing up there Lindsay? Lismore not hot enough for you? :lol:
ImageImage

Buford

#9 Post by Buford » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
you have impecable timing!!!

Cletus is actually back in lismore now. for about a week or so now infact. :D
Stupid TV! Be more funny!