Shooting Big English Longbows

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Shooting Big English Longbows

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:13 am

Observe the "Climbing into the Bow" as a technique for shooting heavy bows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPb1rnLiMD4

It is perhaps better seen here (and just check out the bow dimensions at the same time):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duWg6_emdBg
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

archangel

#2 Post by archangel » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:51 pm

G'day Graeme

Thanks for those links. The bow looks HUGE and judging by his wide stance, must have taken some considerable time and effort to be able to get back to full draw. The other links showing rows of longbows being shot are inspirational stuff. The problem with watching youtube, once you start looking it becomes too addictive! We have had to block this at school as some students weren't getting any work done, when they got onto the net. Now I know why!! I was intrigued by this one showing how to forge medieval bodkins. Although the detail is a bit grainy, he makes it look easy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWFbZhE ... ed&search=

mrkbsm

Re: Shooting Big English Longbows

#3 Post by mrkbsm » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:20 pm

It's true that there is no shortage of warbow footage to be found on YouTube. I've always been curious how long it takes those shooters to work up to shooting those weights (and what they do to get to that point).

ichiban

#4 Post by ichiban » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:25 am

you might find it usefull to have a look at a thread i started a while ago called "anatomical adaptation for use of heavyer bows" it was just some ideas in regards to resistance training to rapidly increase strength rather than the approx 5 years of archery training to get to the same point
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

mrkbsm

#5 Post by mrkbsm » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:02 pm

ichiban - found it, thanks! Excellent thread... had to bookmark it to check out later.

Dennis La Varenne

#6 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:29 am

Grahame,

The one thing I have noticed in pretty well all of the YouTube examples of shooting in the Longbow is that they are all shooting for distance.

The technique required to draw a heavy bow is made considerably easier when the draw is done upwards. The back muscles seem to work more efficiently when a bow is drawn this way. I can draw a heavier bow this way, but as soon as I draw it horizontally or, worse still, draw down to a very close range target, those very same muscles must labour indeed.

Not all shooting in the Longbow was done in their heyday at distance targets. Once opposing military forces got to within 100m, the English archers would have been shooting almost horizontally - which you don't see these YouTube blokes doing.

Ascham did write that shooting was practised as both far shooting and near (prick) shooting.

I don't see these modern English longbowmen shooting accurately at the butts at all and I am beginning to wonder if they can shoot accurately at all distances, near and far. They seem reluctant/forgetful to show the result of their shooting.

The videos are great for showing the style required for artillery shooting, but anyone can ping an arrow into the distance and pincushion a paddock. They are signally short on showing where the arrows strike and how accurately they strike.

Have you found any showing accurate shooting - especially near shooting? I haven't. Surely there must be some accurate longbowmen in England these days. Otherwise it is little more than show. Ascham would be disappointed indeed (see below my name).

Here's hoping I am wrong.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:17 am

Morning Dennis

Yes. I have posted videos of Mark Stretton shooting at relatively close ranges, there is the one of him just playing fun games with the longbow, and I seen to remember posting some others. I am bound to come across them again and will post them when I come across them.

Here is some shooting at 80 yards

The Fun and Games Video

Addenda
105lb Short Range
90lb Short Range

And then again there are these troublesome Victorians.

I wonder, "How accurate is accurate", if you are shooting a Warbow? Anyone feel like shooting, say, a FITA Indoor 2? 30 arrows @ 25 metres on a 60cm face or perhaps a Launceston, the issue is once you go beyond even a 30 arrow round it is a lot of wear and tear on the archers.

Postscript there is a fair bit of stuff on modern (Victorian era) longbow shooting - not Warbows. A particularly nicely put together piece. And a bit more BLBS stuff.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

White Hawk

#8 Post by White Hawk » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:58 am

I'd like to chime in here and say it is indeed possible to shoot a warbow accuratly, a 'troublesome Victorian' I know (Len - ozbows very own) split a wand at around 25-30m and when I say split I mean right down the middle. I have also seen him group quite well on a target face, many times.

So yes it is possible, and we are practicing with our warbows to ensure we can give those Poms a run for their money, taking the ashes is one thing but can you imagine beating them at the warbow?? how sweet it would be! :lol:
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

Dennis La Varenne

#9 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:23 pm

Grahame,

That's good. It looks like these blokes are able to shoot their bows pretty well under control.

Accurate means being able to hit the mark. Missing it is not accurate. Which begs the question, how big is the mark of course.

I would be happy with a level which could reliably hit me in the body out to 100m.

The shooting effort is clearly prodigious, but that's what the game is about - hitting the mark with BIG BOWS and training up to it.

Thanks again, Grahame.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Afternoon All
White Hawk wrote:I'd like to chime in here ...
Gavin, please "chime in". It is always good to have some who is actively involved add in. :D

For myself I would struggle at 100yds to consistently hit a man sized target - but then again I would not reccommend anyone stand there - I might just get a good one away. For what it is worth I recently blattered a few arrow - very few - at a target that was around 6" tall by 8" wide at 30m using a medieval style of draw and replica medieval arrows. It took me two arrows to get the range and I then smashed the next 4 arrows into, well on actually, the target.

I still am of the opinion it would be good to shoot a recognised round in a medieval fashion (that means big bows and the darw back to the ear) and get some scores. (Leave me out, I am only good for a dozen arrows.)
Grahame.

White Hawk

#11 Post by White Hawk » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:12 pm

We may just have to do that Grahame, it would be a good bench mark to refer back to as we progress with our form....mind you with shafts as thick as these you could shoot off the target face and still cut the gold line!

I would eventually like to contest the Archery Victoria clout titles with a warbow... it would create quite a stir...
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

GrahameA

#12 Post by GrahameA » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:02 pm

Afternoon All

Someone asked the question concerning the volume of fire of English Longbowmen somewhere along the line and on another thread and questioning the 12 arrows per minute figure.. An answer, I hope.

This from the TV Series Battlefield Britain and concerns Longbows, the Welsh, Owain Glyndir and the Battle of Bryn Glas (or Pilleth as the English would say).

Those interested will watch it from the beginning (recommended) and those who are only interested in the rate of fire start at 23 minutes into the video.

Battle of Bryn Glas
Grahame.