Pig Sticking Article in FHM!!!

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Pig Sticking Article in FHM!!!

#1 Post by erron » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:46 pm

Please add your voice to the chorus of disgust on the threads over on BGoA site, at the following URL:

http://bowgroup.proboards6.com/index.cgi?board=fhm

This kind of article smacks of a set up by the antis.

:?

thanks, and Good work Luke and Adam!

Erron

Griffo

#2 Post by Griffo » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:02 pm

Just to let you all know that I have taken the article down...copyright reasons etc.

I strongly urge you all to read it though. If you are interested and want to read the article, please shoot me an email or a pm and I'll get it to you.

This article is an absolute disgrace to say the least! Please email me to read it and then voice your complaint to the magazine...for the sake of hunting in Oz, I encourage you ALL to do this.

Griffo

Griffo

#3 Post by Griffo » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:09 pm

Here is a copy of a generic letter I have drafted. Let's face it, numbers are what speaks loudest here folks so please, if you don't want to draft your own letter, copy and paste this, put in your details and send it to one or all of the following:

Letters:
- fhmletters@emap.com.au
- PO Box 1014, Haymarket, NSW 1240.

Editorial Fax: 02 9581 9560

I think that emails are too easy to delete and that letters take too long to get there. I believe that the most effective method will be to send faxes to the editorial fax number. A fax machine ringing off the hook and using loads of paper is sure to get some attention to help us get our objections to this article noted.
For the sake of us all, I urge each of you to lend your voice to this protest. If you are unable to get access to a fax machine, feel free to shoot me an email and I'll fax it off for you.

Griffo

YOUR NAME HERE,
YOUR ADDRESS HERE.

The Editor,
FHM Magazine,
P.O. Box 1014,
Haymarket,
NSW 2140.

Dear Sir,
I am writing to you to express my disappointment and absolute disgust at the recent publication of the article "Pig Stickin - FHM goes Hunting" in the November 2003 issue of your magazine.
I must say that it sits very poorly with myself and other like minded bowhunters to see an article that depicts acts of inhumanity and disrespect such as the aforementioned article. Not only does your article show complete disregard for any sense of decency but it lends much weight to a disturbing generalisation that this abhorrent behaviour is common place amongst our country's hunters. This, I assure you, is not the case and I say this with much conviction.
The manner in which you have pieced together the appallingly authored article, the photos and the captions leaves a lot to be desired. Captions such as "The wound feels kinda sensual", together with a collection of the most detestable photos I have EVER seen in a "hunting article", renders me furious and enraged. To know that I as a bowhunter am being grouped by the general public (who mostly know no different) into the same category as the "hunters" you have featured in your article is disturbing and leaves me feeling sick. I in no way conduct myself in any matter that resembles your magazine's portrayal of hunters and I will be doing everything within my powers to make this point well known.

Yours sincerely,

YOUR NAME HERE.

TRASH

#4 Post by TRASH » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:41 pm

Griffo could you please email me a copy of the article ,I am taking your letter x 30 out the club weds night to get people to sign up
Have tried to get onto the web bhgof but cant get through just keeps scrolling over and wont let me log in man . i will run off a dozen copies and hand them out.

Does anyone in ABA know if the association is formulating a reply with maybe all the club members in each state signing a petition ???????
I havent heard anything out here in the west
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

RICKO

#5 Post by RICKO » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:28 pm

Very good letter Luke, well worded.Hope it gets the right response from every one.

Basalt

My Letter To FHM

#6 Post by Basalt » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:46 pm

Editor FHM,

I’m writing in regards to the story you published in the November 2003 issue of FHM “FHM goes HUNTING” that article should have been called “FHM goes BRAINDEAD” because what you guys participated in, was NOT hunting! The photographs that accompany that article would make any true hunter’s blood boil, they’re the most disgusting load of crap I’ve ever seen. You guys sure picked the most braindead bunch of morons, not hunters, to go sticking hogs with and you sure fit right in there. I’ve been a bowhunter for over thirty years and for the last ten I’ve operated a bowhunting safari business, written and published a book of bowhunting short stories and produced two videos on bowhunting. We hunt under a code of ethics and rules of fair chase, a razor-sharp arrow through the chest of the biggest boar will kill it cleanly and humanely in seconds and I’ve got plenty of footage to prove it! My son subscribes to FHM and I thought it wasn’t a bad mag but you guys really lost the plot this time. You obviously published these repulsive and gory photos to draw attention and get a reaction from your readers, that I’d say you’ve achieved but don’t, for a minute, think that the ****-poor excuse for a hunting article reflects the true story of pig hunting or any hunting for that matter! You guys want to stick with interviewing good-looking broads and dealing with nonsensical city tripe because when it comes to the bush you don’t know **** from clay!

Couldn't help myself, these bastards needed to be told.

Griffo

#7 Post by Griffo » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:13 pm

Here here! :twisted:

vegie

#8 Post by vegie » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:13 am

I agree with every one so far this magazine has set a new low in gutter journalism. Apart from complaining to the editor and advertisers, I think a letter of complain to the RSPCA is proably also in order as the article is in clear breach of all animal welfare laws in this country. I am not a fan of the RSPCA but they will take things like this on as they should if they are serious about animal welfare. This article is nothing but animal cruelty , nothing more. the killers and the editors (if they paid or commissioned the story) should be charged.

veg

erron

#9 Post by erron » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:13 pm

To be honest, I’m not sure I’d want RSPCA to know about this, although they well might already?

They have a ban on ALL hunting as part of their agenda, I believe, and despite the fact they do some good work, I’m not inclined to trust them when it comes to hunters’ interests. They would be just as likely to use this kind of article to launch an attack on hunting generally, as in “This is what allowing people to hunt leads to!”.

Just my take on it.

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:51 pm

I am with you on this one Erron and think you hit the nail right on the head as they say - the RSPCA is against any form of hunting.

I have not seen the article but from what I have heard it is not good but it is possible that the mag is even trying to show up the acts of the doggers for what they were - disgusting!

Don't get me wrong - I hate dogging and what they do is completely unjustifiable. Any argument for dogging is toataly bankrupt from an animal cruelty stand point. It quite clearly inflicts unnecessary and unreasonable pain and suffering to the animal being dogged.

I am certain that the RSPCA and other anti hunting bodies are quite aware of what is involved in dogging. We simply don't need to tell them again.

I think there will be and are better ways to deal with this type of thing.

A sad as it is to say, I feel that because some so called bow shooters (not bowhunters) have had there unethical behaviour put into print and on video for all the world to see, we as bowhunters could be viewed as being no different to the doggers in the above mentioned article.

It is up to everyone of us to show the anti hunters, the general public and these bow shooters that we are not!

The main thing is that we, as bowhunters, be seen to always do the right thing. Sticking to the code of hunting ethics as posted on the home page of this site will go a long way in achieving this.

Just some of my thoughts.

Jeff

vegie

#11 Post by vegie » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:52 pm

I agree I do not trust the RSPCA but this is a clear example of animal cruelty and should be adressed by organisations like the RSPCA if we are to take them seriuosly.

As for the antihunting stance, the people in the article are not hunters but are just plain sick bastards with a problem.

I still think they FHM have broken the law by soliciting this article.

Glenn Newell

#12 Post by Glenn Newell » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:11 pm

Jeff this thread is about a particular article in FHM, it wasn't started to start a debate about the pros and cons of dogging. Its about the content in the article the photos and some of the language used. You shoud read the article and comment on that. If you have got something to say about doggers start another thread. The article is easy to read just click on the link Erron has put up.
I agree 100% with Vegie, we cant be worried about the ramifications about what the RSPCA is going to do to us in the long run, these people need to have their article looked at by the likes of the RSPCA and if charges are justified then so be it, it might stop yobbo articles going to print in the future.

Dennis La Varenne

#13 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:34 pm

To all -

I am going to offer an opinion about this magazine article in view of my 15 year of frontline work with ABA as convenor of its Victorian Bowhunting Defence Committee as well as secretary and research officer of the Shooting Sports Council of Victoria both of which involved direct dealings with Government on issues of all forms of hunting and defence against animal rights activities.

The magazine article contains a good deal of material which many of us find offensive because of its depiction of commonly accepted and probably legally prosecutable examples of animal cruelty.

By all means lodge complaints with RSPCA, the magazine editors and whomever else you wish. However, DO NOT DO SO AS HUNTERS OF ANY PERSUASION, particularly as bowhunters. Do so as concerned persons only.

I am quite aware of the references to hunting in the article and the inclusive and offensive inferences it has for us. But this matter is about consequences, and these consequences will not do us any kind of favours.

For the forseeable time being, we are particularly vulnerable to counter accusations of the same levels of cruelty because of the not insignificant number of highly questionable videos and magazine articles produced by our own kind.

I seriously suggest to all of you that the pig dogging lobby is very large and quite able to put bowhunting out of business by dragging us down with it if it goes down. Never doubt this!!!

Despite the obvious cruelty involved, Governments will always listen to them ahead of us for two important reasons -

1. That they remove far higher levels of a destructive pest animal than we ever can hope to match, and

2. Dogging of pigs is a significant source of rural income in places where other forms of work are often very rare.

In NSW, the animal cruelty laws allow dogging in the so-called Western Division, but not in the areas east of the Dividing range, even though the act is the same. Why? Becaue of the above two reasons, it is quite prepared to compromise its animal cruelty laws.

Politicians will not ever be inclined to sacrifice a source of rural income and pest destruction in favour of issues of animal cruelty when it offers the above social, economic and ecological benefits.

However, they will always take the easier and less politically damaging option of abolishing a far smaller and relatively insignificant political adversary (bowhunting) in the name of that same standard of animal cruelty.

The non-hunting public will very easily compromise its ethical standards against animal cruelty and ban us who can be shown to be cruel in some of our videos and magazine articles, than do the same to dogging which can be shown to have a clear social, economic and ecological benefit.

If you have a complaint against the magazine article, complain by all means! But keep bowhunting out of it absolutely. Our own backyard if very far from clean.

Dennis La Varenne

Glenn Newell

#14 Post by Glenn Newell » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:54 pm

You're rite Dennis, dogging is a huge lobby, in western Queensland early in the morning you can see utes loaded with dogs and pigs coming through town.
Authorities will turn a blind eye even to illegal activities, as far as I know spotlighting is illegal in Queensland, every roo shooter and pro pig shooter-catcher making a living shooting at night is breaking the law if he uses a spotlight, the authorities have a blitz on them every now and then but largely they look the other way because of the econimics.
The article in FHM is really bad and I fail to see how anybody hunter or nonhunter could read an article like that and not be offended.

Griffo

#15 Post by Griffo » Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:08 pm

You'll all be interested to know that I was telephoned by the journalist who authored the article in FHM. We chatted for quite some time about the article, bowhunting and why so many of us had objections to what had been written.
After enlightening him, he said that he could see our point and that he would be more mindful in future if writing articles on a similar topic.

More interestingly he accepted my invitation to come out bowhunting, (which I offered in my letter to the editor) to see for himself how ethical hunters persue their game. I am glad that he has accepted the offer as it will show him the difference between what we as bowhunters do and what most "doggers" do. Hopefully when published it will create some interest in and encourage others to give a bow a go whilst dismissing the stereo types that surround our role as bowhunters as we make up our part of the "hunting community".
So, some time in the early new year I will be accompanied on a hunt by the FHM reporter....can't wait.

Griffo :D

erron

#16 Post by erron » Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:36 pm

Luke,

well done and congratulations on this! It's great that you've managed to persuade FHM to come on a hunt. I just hope it's not a setup, as the article was so tastesless and ignorant that nothing these idiots would try to do for a story would surprise me! :evil:

Um, one question: do you have to pose topless for the photo shoot?

:P :P :P

Erron

Griffo

#17 Post by Griffo » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:46 am

I'm confident that the intentions of the journo are genuine and that the article to follow will be a true reflection of ethical bowhunting.

I'm saying this in light of the fact that Mike (the journo) was quite concerned/cautious that our/my invitation was a set up to get him out in the scrub to do nasty "payback" things to him. I assured him 110% that it wasn't and that my intentions were purely to expose him to our great past time and to highlight to him the differences between the "hunters" in his Pig dogging article and what we do.

I'm keen for the new year to rock around as I feel this is a huge thing for our "sport" (I hate that word) of bowhunting.

Griffo

(Oh, and BTW, they promised me a cover and a centrefold if I work on my tan :shock: :lol: :P :wink: )

Tuffcity

#18 Post by Tuffcity » Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:14 pm

they promised me a cover and a centrefold if I work on my tan
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! MY EYES!!!!!

Sorry man, pretty mean for never having met you. :D But as that Red Green fellow over here is fond of saying: "If women don't find you handsome they might as well find you handy".

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

ozlongbow

#19 Post by ozlongbow » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:18 pm

I havent been able to read the FHM story so have refrained from comment but as a journo with almost 20 years in the game, I want to assure you all that not everyone in the media is an @$$hole.
FHM appeals to a certain audience and is written to that style. However, from what I have read here, they have gone over the top to 'sex up' the story and put the facts and good taste to one side.
The good news is that the author of the story has agreed to go hunting with you Griffo. It is a good move on his behalf for a number of reasons, not the least being it could be a bloody good story. It will also show him, at least, that we bowhunters are not animals or idiots. Now, that said, I would urge caution on your behalf and be warned that while he might do the right thing, you must seek assurance from him that his editors and designers won't go for the cheap blood thrill angle! I think you know what I mean. Often the final product we see in print is taken out of the reporter's hands. If you want to have a yarn about dealing with the media (and please don't think I am trying to teach you to suck eggs!) give us a yell on a PM and I'll ring you or vice versa.
And Griffo, well done on offering the hunt to him to set the record straight!
Lindsay

Griffo

#20 Post by Griffo » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:03 pm

I might just take you up on that Lindsay....

Griffo

Glenn Newell

#21 Post by Glenn Newell » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:20 am

That's good advice from Lindsay Luke. Some years ago I had a reporter come up from Brisbane to do an interview about my bow making to promote a woodworking show held here in Maleny. The reporter a female was very pleasant and after the interview and photo's we talked for a while off the record and she asked me about the pig tusks and deer antlers on my workshop wall and I explained to her that I had been a bowhunter for many years. We talked at length about bowhunting and she seemed very opened minded.
The article about my bow making never came out and about six weeks after the wood working expo was over an article appeared in the newspaper about me and bowhunting and twisted everything around andtaken totally out of context to suit her antihunting point of view. I also received several threating phone calls from rifle hunters giving me heaps about my views about bowhunting as against rifle hunting. So be carefull what you do Luke because the end result might not be what you think it should be.

ozlongbow

#22 Post by ozlongbow » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:32 am

Glenn
Very sorry to hear of that - if she'd been my reporter, well, she wouldn't have been turning up on Monday.
Sadly this kind of crap is what gives my profession such a bad name - down there with real estate agents and used car salesmen (no offence to any of those who are reading this! :lol: )
I guess its like anything - one @$$ will rauin it for everyone - sadly it often seems the @$$E$ out number the rest in my industry at times.

Geoff - the offer stands - give us a yell when you are ready.

On a similar subject, a few years ago I wrote a How To Write a Press Release hand out - anyone interested in it for clubs, etc? Will whack it up here if there's interest.

Lindsay

RICKO

#23 Post by RICKO » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:24 pm

Would be a great idea there OZLONGBOW, and hope the organized hunt with Griffo and the journalist goes well.

Tuffcity

#24 Post by Tuffcity » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:30 pm

How To Write a Press Release hand out - anyone interested
ozlb: That would be an excellent item to have in ones "bag of tricks".

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

erron

#25 Post by erron » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:02 pm

Lindsay,

yes, please do post your Press Release Kit!

:P

Erron

Dennis La Varenne

#26 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:16 pm

Luke,

I wish you well with your venture with the FHM magazine, but alas, I do not share your confidence.

Like Glenn, through my long association with the shooting sports of all kinds over the past 15 years in an official and representative capacity, I have not had reason to trust journalists to present an 'unedited' view of our passion.

Unlike Lindsay and Col Alison from the Australian Shooter magazine, most (I work for the Melbourne Herald Sun newspaper) seem to come from urban circumstances which almost never involve them in any kind of direct association with animals in any capacity.

Like most of that modern kind, precious few of them seem able to comprehend the atavism of hunters and hunting, and find it repugnant and barbaric.

What you are gambling has serious consequences for all of the rest of us, not just for yourself.

"Please consider . . . " as the man says in the ad.

Dennis La Varenne

ozlongbow

#27 Post by ozlongbow » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:43 pm

Dennis
Nice to see another newspaper man here - what do you do at the Herald Sun?

While I certainly agree with you that the majority with an urban upbringing have no contact with, and therefore no understanding of, hunting and what it truly means, I've been surprised more than once with the interest and open-minded attitude from people I've spoken to about bowhunting and why I love it. Maybe I've just been lucky. One of the angles I often use is simple enough - unless those criticising are strict vegans who won't even go so far as to own leather shoes, then they really don't have a leg to stand on. Instead of not giving a though to where the meat, of any kind, we eat comes from, we are well aware of the reality. I don't want to get all 'far out' on you (mind you my nickname in 3DAAA circles is Hippie so draw you own conclusions!) but as a bowhunter I am very conscious of my responsbility with taking the life of an animal. We confront that and it makes us more in tune with the real world.
I guess I am an optimist by nature but I hold hope that the next FHM article on hunting will be a positive one.

I will post the how to guide up tomorrow - dont get to excited guys, I think 'kit' is a little too grand a title for it!

OK, I am going to light some incense and meditate. OM!

:lol:

Lindsay

Griffo

#28 Post by Griffo » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:16 pm

What you are gambling has serious consequences for all of the rest of us, not just for yourself.
Dennis, what advice would you have to offer so that the proverbial doesn't "hit the fan"?

ozlongbow

#29 Post by ozlongbow » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:10 pm

Here's the guide to writing press release. Might have to work on one about handling the media too - also got that as a career idea for the future because it is amazing how many organisations/businesses, big and small, that could use help in this department!

Writing a press release

Newspaper's editorial departments, like any business, are busy places. Quite often not every story a newspaper would like to cover can be covered, and decisions on what is and what is not covered are made every day, based on the news value of the story. For example, a dramatic sea rescue is going to be in the paper the next day, your club's annual general meeting is less likely to get the time and resources it needs to become a story when competing with other 'harder' news.
But there is a solution to this - and that is the press release.
Basically this is you and your organisation's way of letting the media know about something you would like them to cover. Done well, a press release can almost guarantee you coverage.
This short guide will give you a few tips and hints to producing a press release the media will welcome.

Keep it brief, keep it simple
Most press releases should be kept fairly short. Shorter stories have more chance of being used due to space restrictions in any newspaper. This is particularly true of The Advocate. As well, avoid using words or jargon that may confuse a reader. Punchy, bright stories are more attractive.

Every sentence is a new paragraph.
Newspapers' style is to make each sentence a new paragraph. This makes a story easier to read.

Structure your story.
Put the most important points at the top and work down the story to the lesser important points. Research shows few readers read a story top to bottom so by structuring a story correctly you will get your message across even if they don't read past the third paragraph.

Who, what, when, where, why and how
Your story should answer all these questions. Try to divorce yourself from what you know about the subject of the story and read it as a reader would. After you've read it, do you know everything about the subject you should?

Contacts please
Always include a contact name, phone number and address for people who may want further information. That
includes the journalist you send it to also.

Keep it legal, keep it clean
The libel and defamation laws of this country are a minefield. Obviously the paper will cut out anything that could get them - and you - into legal trouble.

Pictures speak a thousand words
Where possible and relevant, include a photograph. The vast majority of readers look at the pictures first. Make sure all people in pictures are named from left to right and include their titles, such as president, etc. Good, sharp, clear photographs are welcome. Photography is an art in itself of course but there are a few things to bear in mind.
Fill the frame - get as close to the subject as you can - then take a step forward. Too many pictures have the subject off in the distance.
Lighting - always avoid light sources from behind the subject. I always use the fill-in flash setting of my little point-and-shoot camera to reduce shadows on faces, etc.
Don't just line them up and shoot - try to make the picture more interesting without being corny.
Keep an eye on the background - there's nothing worse than a picture of someone who looks like there's a tree growing out of their head!

It doesn't have to be perfect.
When you have finished your story, read it. Now read it again. Get a family member or friend to read it. Does it make sense to them? If so, it should make sense to us. It doesn't have to be in perfect English, we can polish it up and rewrite were necessary. As long as all the facts are there, you are on a winner.

Methods of delivery
The best way to send a press release is via e-mail. This is because e-mailed stories are ready to go straight into the newsroom's system. Faxed and mailed stories are perfectly acceptable too, but require 'setting', that is, someone has to type the story into the system. Handwritten press releases are acceptable, but typewritten or printed from a computer are better because there is less chance of illegibility.

Need help - contact me via lsaunders@dailymercury.com.au

Lindsay Saunders
Editor - The Daily Mercury, beautiful Mackay.
Attachments
PRhelp.txt
(4.16 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

ozlongbow

#30 Post by ozlongbow » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:14 pm

Ok so its been a long day - I already posted the media guide thing on another thread. Doh!
:oops: