POLL: Have You Emailed Chris Shea re: Bow Legislation?

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Do You Agree With The Proposed Bow Control Laws?

No, I disagree with the laws, and will email
78%
No, I disagree with the laws, and will protest in another way
22%
Yes, I agree with the laws, and won't act
No votes
I am unsure or unconvinced either way, but will protest
No votes
I am unsure or unconvinced either way, and will not protest
No votes

Total votes: 9

erron

POLL: Have You Emailed Chris Shea re: Bow Legislation?

#1 Post by erron » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:21 pm

This is the email I've sent to the man in question. I strongly urge all Ozbowers to act similarly on this, unless the concept of having to keep your bows in a gun safe is appealing!!!

:shock:
ATTENTION:
Mr Chris Shea
Policy Officer
Justice Policy
Level 3. 55 St Andrews Place
East Melbourne VIC 3002

Mr Shea,

I am writing to you on the matter of the regulatory impact statement (RIS) put out by the Justice Department of Victoria, which proposes to classify crossbows, swords and imitation explosives as prohibited weapons.

In this matter I whole-heartedly support the VicNats submission which has been brought to my attention by the Shooting Sports Council of Victoria - which I feel completely refutes all of the justifications of the RIS for the proposed regulations. In light of the points made by the VicNats submission I have come to the conclusion that the Government's arguments in favour of its own proposed laws are extremely poor.

I would also like to draw your attention to the fact that Victoria Police have submitted that ordinary bows should be treated as Controlled Weapons. I feel this is an outrageous proposition: there is simply no statistical basis to demonstrate that there is problem with the misuse of these kinds of bow that needs remedying by regulation.

Yours Respectfully,
Do it for your kids, for the future of bowhunting, and do it because you won't be treated like a fool! :x

Remember, you only have until the 10th. of October to protest.

Overseas people: please help by adding your voice. Say this Totalitarian nonsense puts you off the idea of visiting, or whatever...

Go get 'em folks!

Erron
Last edited by erron on Fri May 04, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

erron

#2 Post by erron » Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:56 pm

C'mon guys, 6 replies? Out of 70 members?

We can do better than that. This is your lifestyle on the line here!

How hard is it to cut and paste an email, then click a poll, for god's sake?

:(

Erron

Griffo

#3 Post by Griffo » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:29 pm

I just sent my email...AND clicked the button on the poll :lol:

Griffo

erron

#4 Post by erron » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:59 pm

Good on ya' mate!

:lol:

Erron

Dennis La Varenne

#5 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:22 pm

Thankyou folks for what you are doing for us Vics. All is appreciated. I have just posted the final draft of the submission of the Shooting Sports Council of Victoria in my position as Secretary of that organization.

It seems that there has been a cosiderable groundswell against the proposed regs from all over the country. We await a result.

Principally it deals with the legal use of crossbows and swords. Many kinds of people have been using them for very many years without problem or danger to the community. There have been isolated cases of vandalism and the occasional murder.

These are serious offences and not to be taken lightly. However, there are so many many thousands of users in re-anactment societies, martial arts groups and tai-chi people, the Masonic Lodge and Scottish Highland dancers, and target archers and hunters etc who all use swords and crossbows with no real harm to society when you consider the huge numbers of these people involved.

The proposed laws would require these people to keep their heilooms, crossbows and swords in a gunsafe at a cost of $130 for a 3 year licence per item. That is more than a longarms licence fee down here by almost double.

Without the proper legal paperwork, these people can face jail term of up to 6 months and fines of up to $12,000. We are not talking about actual crime involving injury or harm to person or property here, just no paperwork.

These people already operate under voluntary codes of conduct and in almost complete safety and responsibility to their fellow citizens WITHOUT THE NEED FOR LAWS and have done so for a very long time.

However, we have just found out that under the Victorian Subordinate Legislation Act 1994, there is a provision whereby any interstate regulation could be imported into Victoria on the pretext of it being part of a national uniform legislation scheme where a cost benefit analysis in the form of a Regulatory Impact Statement has been largely complied with in another State.

Clearly, the reverse could also be true, so look up your State's version of the above Victorian Act. You may inherit the Victorian law without any need for consultation with stakeholders.

Dennis La Varenne