Queensland's duck shooting permanently banned.

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

dawallace45

Re: Queensland's duck shooting permanently banned.

#31 Post by dawallace45 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:46 pm

The SSAA has been warning this was going to happen for many years and asking shooters to take out licenses for years to keep the numbers up , the drought hasn't helped as many of the keen Queensland hunters have been going south of the boarder and taking up licences there

David

jindydiver

#32 Post by jindydiver » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:21 pm

There are no rights guaranteed to the people under our Constitution (which I have read at least three times) other than trial by jury, unlike the US Constitution (which I have read at least four times) which has a Bill of Rights forbidding the US Government to interfere in certain areas of public freedom which the people of the US reserve to themselves over and above their Government and its powers.
There are other "rights" included in our constitution
Section 116 guarantees freedom from and of religion
And paragraph 51 guarantees just compensation for confiscation by the crown (this being the reason the Gov had to pay us for our banned rifles)

Any other "rights" we think we have are based on common law and can be removed from us via legislation.

(yes i had to google to find where these rights are mentioned :) )
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Dennis La Varenne

#33 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:22 am

Mick,

You are quite right about sections 51 re compensation and 116. I forgot about them, and I shouldn't have.

That makes 3, not one. They hardly compare with the US Amendments to their constitution however, or with a preamble which begins with the words -

"We the People . . . "

You are quite correct about the other 'rights'. They are merely civil liberties revocable by law.

And, congratulations on taking the trouble to actually read our Constitution. You are among the very few.

Have a look at the US Constitution and the French Constitutions too some time. The make interesting reading. The world will never again see a Constitution like that of the US again. I believe that it was the very first national constitution ever drawn up and ratified by its people in the world.

People are ruled by their governments today. They do not govern themselves anymore, and cannot remove them when the people believe that they no longer serve the interests of the people.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

TomMcDonald

#34 Post by TomMcDonald » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:09 am

I don't want to sound unrealistic or 'motivational' but I don't really think the negative attitude amongst bowhunters is really going to help our cause. When people say 'it's only a matter of time until bowhunting gets banned' or 'these ignorant bastards are going to be the death of us' I can't help but cringe.
Surely our future will be trying and tested but it's worth fighting for and, in my opinion, a battle that could easily be won with a HUGE body of supportive people and an educational force, sort of like the Gestapo but good :).
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com