Queensland's duck shooting permanently banned.

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Queensland's duck shooting permanently banned.

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:28 pm

It was announced today that there is no future for duck hunters in Queensland. The lame excuse put forward by a appropriate state minister was something along the lines of "out of the 275 enquiries regarding duck shooting received, only 69 were positive" and "surveys of duck numbers indicated that numbers are at the lowest point since the mid 1980s". These quotes aren't word for word, but they are fairly close, based on my recollection. Sorry about my vague and imprecise recollections, but I read the article in the Melbourne Herald Sun newspaper and unfortunately it belonged to a fellow workmate.

The thing that amazed me about the whole debacle was that duck shooting was banned on the strength of less than 300 phone calls. Most of the calls were probably made by just a handful of animal libbers. :x It's indicitive of the actions of a government pursuing a set agenda. :x

As far as the low duck numbers is concerned, we all know our native ducks migrate huge distances to meet the changing environmental conditions of this huge unpredictable continent. You can have ducks on every dam and waterway one month and none at all the next month.

Gee willickers, haven't we just had a series of droughts? Maybe that's the reason for the low duck numbers and currently exist in Queensland. Ducks are renowned at being able to build their numbers during just one or two good seasons and then die off in equally huge numbers when conditions aren't so good. It's just the way it is.

You may think "oh, that's nothing to do with me". You may not be a duck hunter, but you should still be concerned. The future of bowhunting could go the same way if we are not careful. The way I see it, it's just one more nail in our coffin. :evil:

Queensland duck hunting seemed to just slip away into oblivion like an old man on his death bed. Little fuss. Little commotion. It's a very sad state of affairs indeed. :?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

erron

#2 Post by erron » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:44 pm

Has anyone from QLD got more to add on this?

Erron

Pete

#3 Post by Pete » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:27 pm

Too bloody right Mick. Geez it ticks me off when something like this happens. They just take away a little at a time and before you even realize, you've lost all your rights and freedoms. :evil: :evil: I wonder how long it will be till it happens here.

Pete F

Tuffcity

#4 Post by Tuffcity » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:42 pm

Does Queenland have recall legislation? By that I mean if enough signatures where gathered could you recall the political clown who instigated this mess? and make him stand in a by-election? If nothing else a nasty grilling and accountability session might be in order.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

coach

#5 Post by coach » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:59 pm

"out of the 275 enquiries regarding duck shooting received, only 69 were positive"
Just goes to show , you cant sit back and let someone else fight for you . Maybe if more duck hunters had of got off their butts and made a phone call , maybe it wouldnt be banned now :roll:
Thats if I understand the story correctly .

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:21 pm

It seems our politicians can get away with almost anything RC. I don't know of any process whereby they can be brought to account for their poor decisions, except at the ballot box at the next election. :? Unfortunately duck hunting is not all that popular in Queensland apparently, so I can't see much in the way of a backlash to the government.

The death of hunting in this country will be the death of a thousand cuts.

I'm not too sure of the exact numbers mentioned Coach, but my figures are within the "ball park". It was definately less than 300 enquiries in total and the ratio was similar to my figures. You have read the situation correctly I believe. :? I do believe, however, that the Queensland Government has been somehow infiltrated by radicals or has done some "special" deal with the Greens. I think we will see more and more of this type of "slanted" decision making by our governments in the future.

Surely someone has the access to the exact figures and situation. :?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

tracker

#7 Post by tracker » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:13 pm

I was reading about this in the paper today.. and the minister responsible.. <a chick> said something like "Hunting for sport, recreation or TRADITION is barbaric."

Another quote from her "You can BUY a duck for the cost of a few shotgun shells"

Way of the future I reckon. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

adam

#8 Post by adam » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:33 pm

Another quote from her "You can BUY a duck for the cost of a few shotgun shells"
This is why so many people have problem in life; no mental stimulation, it is being taken away yet again.

Duck shooter
So the guy can't go out and duck shoot anymore, he finds himself sitting at home bored, sits around watching the box(tv)getting no exercise or fresh air. Argues with his wife because he's not satisfied (no hunting). Where it goes from there who knows (adultry, devorce).

So you go into a store and buy a rock frozen duck for a few bucks, you don't support the local towns in which duck hunting is near (accommodation, petrol, food ect) you don't get to camp in the woods when you would during the year, And if your religious you have just been denied the fruits of the earth which god has given you.

:evil: I’m holding back from swearing, Bloody basteds
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:08 pm

I wonder what she thinks of bowhunting. :evil:

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to our future, extreme intolerance doled out at government level :x

Hey fellas, what's it feel like to be an officially declared barbarian? :evil:

Queensland, beautiful one day - not worth living in the next :!: :P

Mick

erron

#10 Post by erron » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:28 pm

Mick, QLD isn't alone, I think WA has a ban too.

As people get further removed from their origins they become ignorant of them, and adopt a superior attitude. Personally, I always find it a bit rich when a polly talks with a morally superior air :roll: :x

Erron

tracker

#11 Post by tracker » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:02 pm

Personally, I always find it a bit rich when a polly talks with a morally superior air
HYPOCRITES.

Whenever I see a pollie.. I always think of the old adage.. "Pay peanuts.. get MONKEYS!" :lol:

Mick. <Anarchist> :twisted:
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

coach

#12 Post by coach » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:16 pm

I read your post Adam , and I agree with you ,, wow thats weird :roll: :wink:

Nephew

#13 Post by Nephew » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:42 pm

The Minister supports the form of predatory capitalism that various govts., state and federal, have afflicted us with in the last thirty years, but has the hide to call hunters barbaric! The nerve, mate! I would imagine the rejection of consumerism involved in hunting for food would be one of the things that galls her so much to insult people like that.

Abaci

#14 Post by Abaci » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:44 pm

Even though I don't go hunting (not yet, have some bunny busters on the way) I think that it is a very sad state of affairs. My uncles used to all go duck shooting and they'd only ever hunt enough to eat for the whole family. Then the hunting season was shortened, then the greenies would be there all through the season running around in the bushes almost getting shot and then complaining about it... they'd also grab what you shot when they could so you wouldn't even get the duck!

So now, they don't go. It's not enjoyable to be outside when you could be the one in trouble for shooting someone and you don't even get what you shot.

I'm not up to date on all the current laws, but perhaps we should think about investing in land with all our friends so we can get to do the things we enjoy whilst being able to tell these bloody tofu eating overenthusiastic idealists where to go...

It takes up more land to grow tofu for vegetarians... what happens to the animals that used to live there? (not that I'm against vegetarians by any means... I'm just trying to give a bit of reality back)

Anyway, there's my two cents.
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

coolhippy80

#15 Post by coolhippy80 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:27 pm

You can BUY a duck for the cost of a few shotgun shells
but you can shoot your own for the cost of one! crazy woman....
Keep Tasmania clean. No Pulp Mill!

coolhippy80

#16 Post by coolhippy80 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:27 pm

You can BUY a duck for the cost of a few shotgun shells
but you can shoot your own for the cost of one! crazy woman....
Keep Tasmania clean. No Pulp Mill!

losty

#17 Post by losty » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:50 pm

Consumerism and idealism will die out and the old ways of survival aka barbarism will eventually by its returned necessity be back. History always repeats itself. What idealists dont realise is their food didnt really come from a shop and that consumerism puts more strain on the natural world then the old ways ever did.

In regards to consumerism i like the cree indian prophecy

"Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find, that money cannot be eaten"

that couldnt be any closer to the truth if it tried.

what idealists are trying to do is eliminate the basics by which we all need to live anyway so its not going to last forever.
There's no adventure in knowing where you are.

Steven J

#18 Post by Steven J » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:06 pm

I think half of the reason that these things get banned is because those that don't want hunting (we won't call them greenies - we are all greenies - we all love the bush) are busy looking for these things to campaign about, where as we are all busy shooting, hunting or building bows and arrows. They are actively looking to have these things stopped and have many years head-start by the time we hear something has or is about to be banned.

Sooner or later, I will have to apply for a licence to kill one of my sheep that I have raised on my little farm. It probably won't be banned outright, it will all happen in little stages.

:? :? :? :? :?

losty

#19 Post by losty » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:43 pm

yeah its very annoying. But like i said we have to eat so it cant go too far.
There's no adventure in knowing where you are.

kerrille

#20 Post by kerrille » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:44 pm

I,m not and never will be a greenie i seen what greenies did in the rain forests in north Queensland in the late 80s it was damn disgusting what i and i think most off us are ,are conservationists ,we have to be because if we over shoot fish burn where we go we cant go back we have to look after it ,so we can keep returning year after year. i have seen some shockers over the years ''greenys from the city no idea what their doing and leaving rubbish not putting out fires etc nup never a greenie .Sorry i got on my soap box but the bush is my passion.
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

jape

#21 Post by jape » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:06 am

I wish it were that easy. Idealism is necessary as a goal in the face of rampant greed and consumerism and we are all (speaking generally) part of that destructive force. We have to be, we need cars and computers and so on and the production of one car does more damage to the earth than a bloke could do wandering around with a bow and arrow in a lifetime.

Trees are still being chain bulldozed in that same State.

It is all linked up, that is what greenies see, and empathy for the natural life of an animal is also in many of their hearts and should not be discounted.

Looking after habitat so we have a hunting resource IS barbaric. I am not judging when I say that, I choose to be barbaric in that sense.
None of us would buy a few ducks, release them in the paddock and use them for live practice, I hope. But what is the difference?

These kids that are greenies grow up today in an evil and disgusting world in which no-one can show them honest values and a truly sustainable life-style, hence they revolt, as many of us did, in whatever way they can. They BELIEVE they are doing good and that life is sacred. Few others believe in anything but self and cynicism today.

Most of us that hunt know the thrill of the hunt, and the thrill of the kill. If we are honest, it is a deep and abiding joy. We also know the true smell and feel of blood and guts, of offal and of corruption. We watch a life pass, taken by our hands and actions, in a kick and a twitch and dimming eyes. For many hunters, it is for our pleasure and for a trophy as much as for meat. If we face that and act with consideration, we remain human as we hunt, we have empathy for our prey. And we still know how to survive.

If the world goes bad, I want these greenies to survive alongside of me, not the pollies or the developers.

just my morning rant.

mrkbsm

Re: Queensland's duck shooting permanently banned.

#22 Post by mrkbsm » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:04 pm

Are there any large hunting societies in Australia that help lobby against such laws? (Such as an aussie equivalent to Ducks Unlimitied?)

GrahameA

#23 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:23 pm

Field and Game Australia
http://www.fga.net.au/
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Edwarddgrey

#24 Post by Edwarddgrey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:57 am

Its a little alarming how quietly these things happen.

Id like to breed up a small army of ducks, clip their wings and dump them in that lady's backyard (the minister).

I remember hearing a statement about how sad the day is when people are forced to give up freedoms for so called 'safety'. So at what point do they put us in a cage and wire us up to the Matrix?

GrahameA

#25 Post by GrahameA » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:41 pm

An opinion

If my memory serves me right the Minister at the time was Desley Boyle but, I could be wrong.

If people are unhappy with the decision then they should make appropriate representation and join "Field and Game".
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

piggy

#26 Post by piggy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:36 pm

I would like to know / be interested to know if hunting organizations like the SSAA, ABA, Field and game, ADA etc communicate with each other, inform each other when these things pop up so hunters can be made aware of what is being proposed to various elements of our sport so we can all support each others causes.

Cheers

Paul

Dennis La Varenne

#27 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:58 am

Tuffcity and mrkbsm,

I write from my 15 years as a Secretary and submissions/research officer for the Victorian Shooting Sports Council of Victoria which did a lot of work in support of Duck hunting in Victoria and in also support of New South Wales duck hunters when asked. Victoria and NSW are the two principal duck hunting States in Australia.

The principal duck hunting organization in Australia is the Field & Game Association of Australia which does a lot of work in this area. Its membership in Queensland is and has always been small compared with the 3 States to the south – New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania.

Until very recently, Queensland used to have a system of duck hunting licences up until this episode, but they were not supported by the duck hunting public of that State let alone the general hunting public.

Most people who shot ducks there did so illegally, but in small numbers. The numbers taken were always so small and hardly a threat to the duck population, but it was hardly worth the enforcement effort. The chances of being caught were pretty much zero.

Most Queensland duck shooters did not support their own licensing system, and those that did, did so in very small numbers. That made the system itself unviable from an administrative point of view. It simply cost more to run that it was worth.

If that State had the same strength of tradition which my State of Victoria has, there is a fair bet that it would not have been abolished there. Really, there wasn’t much to abolish, because hardly anyone hunted duck legally. Most if it was done illegally and sporadically. The people did not support the civil right they had and so suffered their own consequences.

The State of New South Wales suffered a similar fate about a decade ago. That state had a similar size population as my State of Victoria. It too had a duck licensing system like Victoria’s, which was supported mainly by Victorians going there during the season. At the time of abolition, NSW had 1500 licensed duck hunters. Victoria had something like 30 000, many of whom also held NSW licenses. The NSW Minister for Conservation (a Minister is equivalent to your Department Secretaries) was quoted in newspapers at the time as saying in response to outcry about his intention to permanently close the NSW Duck Hunting Season that he would not even get out of bed for 1500 duck hunters.

My own State of Victoria always had and has a very large (for Australia) active and dedicated duck hunting population and it has been a very strong tradition in Victoria – less so in recent years for a number of reasons and because of a 10 year drought which has dried up most of the wetlands. Shooting in the first weeks of the season in Victoria was always quite heavy but nevertheless, duck numbers were never threatened by shooting because it was always kept within sustainable numbers.

However, there is the chance that because we have not had a season for the past few years because of the drought that our season may be abolished from lack of use . . . because we haven’t had one for some years, we fear that Government will just decide not to declare it . . . permanently, without actually legislating it off the books. Its declaration is an executive order from year to year, so this option is very much on the cards.

So far as the matter of recall legislation goes, unlike so many of the US States, we do not have anything like that and are not likely to. There were moves some years ago to initiate Citizen Initiated Referenda, but the politicians, realising that the people would then have the power to over-ride decisions of the Parliament, collectively stopped any Bill being presented to introduce the matter, in their own interests of course.

There is a significant difference between the Westminster system of Government and that of the US in that the Executive controls the Legislature in the Westminster system. All of our Ministers of State (Department Secretaries and Governors in the US) are elected to the Parliament as legislators, with the majority party in a Parliament forming the Government and from whose ranks are selected the Ministers who then form the Executive. There is no effective or real separation of powers such as you have in the US.

The highest Executive officer in Australia is the Governor General who represents the English Monarch, but effectively has no executive power other than to dismiss a Government in certain circumstances or refuse to sign Bills of Parliament into law under certain circumstances. Effectively, the member of our Executive who has real and effective power is our Prime Minister who can dismiss the Governor General if he wishes by writing to the English Monarch on behalf of the Government of Australia.

Interestingly, the office of Prime Minister is not mentioned in the Australian Constitution anywhere. Few Australians know that fact.

The Prime Minister is merely the leader of the majority Party in the lower house (House of Representatives). However he has the equivalent powers to your President or State Governors and is effective head of executive government in Australia simply because the majority party forms the executive and introduces and passes any Bills it requires.

In the Westminster system, the Executive introduces Bills to the Parliament and by virtue of ‘Party discipline’ makes sure that its Bills are passed by its majority of members in that Parliament. It would be like your President or Governors being both head of the Executive and at the same time, Speaker of the House, and all his Department Secretaries being members of the House.

Effectively, the Westminster system is a dictatorship of the Parliament where the people have no effective voice other than the tri- or quadrennial elections. Westminster operates on the doctrine of the supremacy of Parliament based on the hypothesis that because it is elected, it therefore reflects the will of the people.

However, no Parliament or Executive is obliged ever to consider the will of the people from time to time between elections, and there is no mechanism for the people to over-ride any law which the people find intolerable unlike you can in some of your States by means of recall.

The system of compulsory voting ensures that the voice of any particular lobby group on any issue is diluted to inconsequentiality at election times, relying on the apathy of Australian voters who face a fine if they do not vote. The biggest political consequence of this voting system is that it creates safe seats for sitting members and political parties which endure for decades.

There are no rights guaranteed to the people under our Constitution (which I have read at least three times) other than trial by jury, unlike the US Constitution (which I have read at least four times) which has a Bill of Rights forbidding the US Government to interfere in certain areas of public freedom which the people of the US reserve to themselves over and above their Government and its powers.

The Westminster system operates on the doctrine of the supremacy of the Parliament (over and often against the people) who do not have any rights other than those legislated to them by that Parliament, or civil liberties which are those freedoms which have not been revoked by legislation.

Under Westminster, because of the principle of the supremacy of Parliament, all rights and liberties are subject to change by law. It is not a system of rule by the people, for the people and of the people as Lincoln famously said of the US system in his Gettysburg address.

Ours it the complete reverse of the US system founded on the belief that the people rule themselves and have inalienable rights concerning which the Congress cannot interfere.

Our constitution, by comparison is largely about the freedom of trade between the former colonies and a shorter section on the structure of the National Government. The rights of the people do not figure.

In its developmental days prior to Australian Federation in 1901, the US Constitution was carefully considered in the formulation of our own, but the only part of it that was copied in any significant degree was the bi-cameral system of Parliament (Congress to you) with a lower legislative house and an upper house of review, and that is about it. This system roughly parallels the English Houses of Parliament and Lords as well.

In Australia, we simply do not have the access to our legislature and executive that the people of the US do by way of recall. Consequently, the ability of the Australian people to do much about legislation which allow/prohibits unpopular laws is pretty much hypothetical.

An aspect of Australian popular culture which I have found that visitors to Australia find very surprising is the absolute contempt which Australians have for politicians. They rank somewhere between used car salesmen and paedophiles.

It is rare to find any citizen who will speak complimentarily about them because the Party discipline system prevents any politician crossing the floor to vote as a matter of conscience or principle. Unlike your Congressmen who quite often ‘cross the floor’ on issues which affect their constituents, ours NEVER cross the floor on behalf of the people who elect them. They only ever vote ‘en bloc’ according to party policy.

At any rate, I hope that the foregoing helps your understanding of why it is so easy in Australia to lose many of our civil liberties.

Regards,

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

jape

#28 Post by jape » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:26 am

How many here actually shoot ducks with a bow and arrow? I found the 'Witchery of Archery' had some interesting stories on this.

Mick Smith

#29 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:25 pm

Jape

I'm fairly certain that it's illegal to hunt waterfowl with a bow and arrow in all states, other than the Northern Territory.

In Victoria, during the duck season, it's illegal to hunt ducks with anything other than a shotgun loaded with steel shot.

I believe it is legal to hunt waterfowl with a bow and arrow in the Northern Territory, as we've seen a few threads about the bowhunting of ducks and geese in the NT on this site, one even included a copy of the relevant NT legislation to prove the fact.

Mick

jape

#30 Post by jape » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks Mick. That's a shame, duck can be very tasty and I am sure that proper hunting methods could be devised to take them on land and water. Not so sure about in the air though!