NSW Game Council newsletter - March 2005

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

erron

NSW Game Council newsletter - March 2005

#1 Post by erron » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:57 pm

GAME COUNCIL NSW:
Monthly Update
March 2005
(Text file only. This Newsletter is also available as a PDF file, with photos and graphics).
A MESSAGE FROM THE CEO, Ross McKinney
I AM pleased to announce that the approved club process is about to commence in preparation for the introduction of the much anticipated availability of Restricted NSW Game Hunting Licences (R-Licence).
However, this does not mean that public land has been declared in NSW for hunting. It means that Game Council is putting the mechanisms in place in preparation of lands being declared in the future.
The issue of public land availability for hunting is one of Game Council’s biggest tasks.
I cannot emphasise enough the importance of getting systems right, the first time. What I mean by that is, it’s not just a case of picking a patch of public land and then opening it up to hunters. There is much more involved in the declaration process. Let me just outline a few of the key issues so that you, the hunting fraternity, understands what’s involved.
In order for public lands to be declared for hunting under the Game and Feral Animal Control Act, a number of issues must be taken into account: the impact of the declaration on public safety; consultation with neighboring landholders; game and feral animal populations; the rights of others using the land; the plan of management or other policy document relating to the use or management of the land; recommendations of the public land manager; recommendations by Game Council; managing hunter access and compliance. Aside from the key issues of consideration, we are also taking into account fire periods, special events, climatic seasons, hunting seasons, and production/extraction activities on the proposed public land areas.
The time and effort required to ensure all bases are covered is considerable. But may I reassure you, we are moving forward and working through the abovementioned issues. In the meantime, I ask you all to stay tuned and continue to support the Game Council through compliance with the new legislation, promoting the licensing system and practicing safe and ethical hunting.
Game Council approved clubs

IN coming weeks, Game Council NSW will be sending out information packs to hunting clubs and organisations across the State, inviting them to seek Approved Club status in order to offer Restricted Game Hunting Licences to their membership.
The R-Licence will also contain an education component in the form of completing Game Council’s Hunter Education Program or through recognised prior learning.
The R-Licence will be available only to members of Game Council Approved Clubs/organisations who are adequately educated in the areas of ethical, safe hunting, legislation and animal welfare.
The R-Licence will enable hunters to access declared public land in NSW (with permission), when it becomes available in the future.
Whilst Game Council is currently working through the process with public land managers, the next phase is to ensure hunting clubs/organisations are set up to offer their membership R-Licence opportunities.
It is envisaged through the declaration of public lands that hunters will play a key role in feral animal control and game management.
Information packs aim to guide clubs/organizations through the approval process, and include an application form. There is also an opportunity for clubs to nominate selected members as assessors for education/training purposes.
Criteria for approved club status includes a constitution that complies with relevant state legislation, disciplinary provisions, and a hunting code of practice.
Approved clubs will be listed on Game Council’s website and published in future editions of this newsletter

Register your club for an information package
Phone Game Council on (02) 6360 5100

Out and About: A visit to the Murray/Riverina

GAME Council CEO Ross McKinney and Public Relations Manager Nikki Tremain recently traveled to the Murray/Riverina region to speak face to face with rice growers experiencing waterfowl problems.
The visit was a wonderful opportunity for Game Council in terms of preparing for the 2005/06 Game Bird Management Program which is managed by NPWS. Changes to licensing procedures last year means a Game Council licence is now required for hunters participating in the mitigation program.
Game Council hopes to improve the way in which it communicates with both hunters and rice growers for the upcoming program in relation to licensing requirements.

FACT FILE: Feral cats
■ It is estimated that there are more than 18 million feral cats in Australia;
■ Feral cats generally eat small mammals, birds, reptiles and insects;
■ It is estimated that each feral cat kills at least eight birds per year;
■ Fauna species threatened by feral cats in Australia include: Norfolk Island Parrot, Little Tern, Rufous Hare-wallaby, Greater Bilby, Numbat, Eastern Barred Bandicoot.
SOURCE: Pest CRC

LICENSING: Hunting Guides

Licence Class: NSW Game Hunting Licence (General), or G-Licence
Licence Type: Hunting Guide ($150)
Licence terms: 1 year
Insurance: N/A
Game Species: Deer, pheasant, partridge, peafowl, turkey, California quail.
Hunting Seasons: Hog deer (April only); Red, Wapiti, Fallow deer (March-October)
Hunting methods: Bows, firearms, dogs.
Application forms: Game Council NSW Please refer Game & Feral Animal Control Regulation 2004

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

I am a hunting guide. Do I require a Game Council licence?
A. Yes, you require a NSW Game Hunting Guide Licence (General) to conduct professional guiding activities on private land in NSW.

Q. What is Game Council’s definition of a hunting guide?
A. Under the Game and Feral Animal Control Act, a hunting guide means a person who, for fee or reward, accompanies other persons on a hunt for game animals for the purposes of guiding, or otherwise assisting those persons in connection with their hunting of game animals (deer, turkey, pheasant, peafowl, California quail and partridge) on private land in NSW.

Q. What is the fee for a Game Hunting Guide Licence?
A. The fee is $150/year. This licence also confers the authority of a Standard NSW Game Hunting Licence which can be used for hunting game animals for private purposes.

Hunting Guide information packs are available from Game Council NSW.

IN THE NEWS: Snippets & Quotes

For the first time ever, hunting has been recognised at governmental level as a legitimate activity. That’s not such a bad place to start….’’

John Dunn on the new game hunting licensing system, Jumbunna column, “Australian Shooter”, December 2004, Pg 113.

“While it may seem like a dream job, there is a lot more to being a hunting guide than meets the eye. Quality guides work long hours to get results and much of it is very physical work. You have to show that you can cope with great responsibility and have the ability to selflessly assist others with lower skill levels and still keep a grin on your face…”
Matt Graham on how to best get into the guiding game, “The Apprentice’’, Sporting Shooter, February 2005, Pg 34.
“If someday, someone sits down and draws up a list of the hunter’s Ten Commandments in relation to hunting on private property, these would be sure to include THOU SHALT SHUT ALL GATES BEHIND THEE…’’

Steve Glover, Australian Shooter, February 2005, Pg 53.
“They’ve taken on quite a task but with other states considering this system also, it bodes well for hunters to support this initiative. Take the time to look on their website www.gamecouncil.nsw.gov.au and keep up to date with what is happening there…’’

Across the Desk column in relation to Game Council NSW, “Archery Action’’, Nov-Dec 2004, Pg 4.

STAFF PROFILE: The Admin team

Game Council’s administration team, lead by Executive Assistant Kylie Mulquiney, are generally the first port of call for enquiries and licensing.
The team has been kept very busy processing licence applications, implementing data base and records management systems, fielding enquiries and sending out information packages to thousands of Game Council stakeholders across the State and beyond.

With a background in education and training, Kylie Mulquiney came to Game Council in March 2004. Virtually starting from scratch, Kylie has a played a key role in the implementation of Game Council policies and procedures, and systems for records management, operations and licensing.
Kylie’s interests include fishing, entertaining (in particular barbecues), her two hunting dogs and swimming.

“The thing I enjoy most about working with Game Council NSW is that we are still in development stage and we will no doubt see the benefits, conservation wise, in the future. Through the licensing system, we are setting benchmarks and goal posts for hunting in NSW and that in itself is a challenge.
“I really look forward to the day we can look back and see our hard work come to fruition.’’ Tiffany Howarth is undertaking a 12-month traineeship with Game Council, playing a valuable role in answering enquiries and Karen Moses, a casual employee, provides administration support to the office team. The team is endeavouring to make the licensing process as smooth as possible for applicants.

DID YOU KNOW???

►A primary objective of Field & Game Australia is to preserve, restore, develop and maintain waterfowl habitat in Australia. Waterfowl hunters are aware of the importance of our wetlands and the bio-diversity that is associated with wetlands.

► The Hunters Helping the Hungry program in Alabama has donated 218,380 pounds of ground venison to Alabama food banks since 1999 and has helped feed thousands of needy Alabamians. Last year, more than 1000 hunters and 58 deer processing plants participated in the program. Fifty-four thousand pounds of ground venison were donated to food banks statewide. This year’s goal is 100,000 pounds.

FREE SUBSCRIPTION

Would you like to receive this newsletter each month, FREE of charge?:

Email: prmgr@gamecouncil nsw gov.au

Fax: (02) 6361 2093 (send your name & mailing address)
Ph: (02) 6360 5100

- ENDS -

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:01 pm

Erron,

Thanks for posting this newsletter on here. Sadly I must admit its content angers me greatly. I say this because I believe that the Game Council should be representing all hunters but it clearly does not!

From this newsletter and all other info I have seen the Game Council is only working on behalf of hunters who are members/or who will join, approved clubs or organizations. This is WRONG!!! As I have said before this is discriminatory and could be contested in a Court of Law.

If this is part of the Game and Feral Animal Control Act then the very first job of the Game Council should be – with assistance from hunters – to lobby for this to be changed. However I have never seen any mention of this or any consideration to try and bring about the change.

The R licence is for hunting on public land and therefore it should be open to ALL the hunting public not just a select group. There should never be a requirement to have to join a club or organization in order to be eligible for the R licence.

The test for the R hunting licence should be available to ALL hunters!!! There is simply no justifiable reason why it shouldn’t.
In the meantime, I ask you all to stay tuned and continue to support the Game Council through compliance with the new legislation, promoting the licensing system and practicing safe and ethical hunting.
I say fat chance Mr McKinney - except for the practicing of safe and ethical hunting. By the way, I don’t have to be a member of a club or organization to do that as it is simply part of my ethics as a responsible hunter.

Jeff

vegie

#3 Post by vegie » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:45 am

Jeff,
I am sorry but I must disagree with some of what you said.
Firstly the GC represents a rare opportunity for hunters to have a say in their future in this state. If hunters do not support the GC it will fail and the government will be able to say hunters do not care and want no part in developing hunting in this state. Other states are watching us, if we fail they will never give hunters in their state the chance to improve hunting.

In my experience those who oppose the GC are those who have something to loose. I have attended alot of meetings where people are bitterly against the GC. Many I sense may not have the high standard of morals and ethics we do. Please do not take that the wrong way, I am not infering you or anyone on this site fits this catagory. The people who jump fences or hunt state forest illegally will be hammered by these new laws so they are passionately against the GC and its regulations.

Which brings me onto your issue the R licence. A line had to be drawn in the sand somewhere and membership of an approved club or organisation is one of them. Think of the above mentioned people, do you think they care about improving hunting or the NSW Deer herds? do they take the time to nuture newcomers or young people in hunting skills and ethics? do they care about the law? they care about killing the most and the biggest, because if they do not someone else might get it.

I am opposed to this view and will work hard to remove this element from our lifestyle, hunting is not a sport or a hobby it is a lifestyle. I do not want the right to hunt taken away because of the ratbag element who kill only for their egos.

By having this condition on the R licence it will weed out the bad element, they will not join, they will not prove competency with their gear, they do not follow rules. In NSW we face the reality that we will gain access to public land for hunting, is it not reasonable to have as a condition that only responsible hunters are allowed access? it will only take a few bad people (notice I did not use the word hunters?) to stuff it up for everyone.

I realise many people are anti the ABA or the ADA or the Feild and Game Association, but read the rules it states associations or approved hunting clubs. If you belong to a hunting club and can prove certain criteria are met then you can get a GC R licence. It may take some work to qualify but it is not out of reach. The R licence is just that restricted it offers a unique opportunity and therefore it has to be controlled. the tests will be available to all people, the actual procedures for this are being worked out right now. You want to hunt with a bow you will not have to attend an ABA club, there will be other options.

This represents a golden chance to us as hunters to prove we are responsible and do care about our lifestyle. for that chance you just have to meet some criteria.
Laws are often dumb and not everybody agrees with them, however knowingly breaking the law is still not a act of a responsible person.

Please support the GC, it really is a test case for the whole country. Your kids and grandkids hunting future may depend on it.

Daryl

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:03 pm

Daryl,

I respect your point of view but certainly don’t agree with some of them. If you expect support from all hunters than you must represent ALL responsible hunters – simple as that.
The people who jump fences or hunt state forest illegally will be hammered by these new laws so they are passionately against the GC and its regulations.
I fail to see how this will be so. The same people who have broken the law in the past will in all probability break the law with the GC operating. Trying to make these types of people join clubs or associations won’t make any difference. Lawbreakers are just that, lawbreakers.

You must surely know that a number of these fence jumpers as you term them have been, and are, members of the very same clubs/organizations that the GC are no doubt going to approve as authorized clubs/organizations. It certainly hasn’t stopped them in the past and I can’t see it stopping them in the future. They will break the law whether they are in a club or organization or not.

IMO the test must be available to all hunters not just members of authorized clubs or associations. If any body breaks the law – whether club/organization member or not - than they should all be dealt with in the same matter according to the law. That is not only sensible but proper.
Think of the above mentioned people, do you think they care about improving hunting or the NSW Deer herds? do they take the time to nuture newcomers or young people in hunting skills and ethics? do they care about the law? they care about killing the most and the biggest, because if they do not someone else might get it.

I am opposed to this view and will work hard to remove this element from our lifestyle, hunting is not a sport or a hobby it is a lifestyle. I do not want the right to hunt taken away because of the ratbag element who kill only for their egos.
I agree with you 100%. These people simply don’t have the morals and ethics of responsible hunters. However you must realize some of these same people will join an authorized club/organization (as many already have) just to get the R licence. You are still going to have a certain bad element. Having them join a club/organization isn’t going to change who they are, how they think or what they do. To think it will is only dreaming.
The R licence is just that restricted it offers a unique opportunity and therefore it has to be controlled.
I agree. However I fail to see the logic of black mailing people to join a club or organization just so they are able to do the test and get the R licence. It can do no better than letting any hunter do the test at an approved course.
the tests will be available to all people, the actual procedures for this are being worked out right now.
This simply isn’t true going by your own post above. The tests will only be available to those who join an approved club/organization.
This represents a golden chance to us as hunters to prove we are responsible and do care about our lifestyle. for that chance you just have to meet some criteria.
Absolutely, but having to meet criteria that has nothing to do whatsoever with being a responsible hunter or caring for our lifestyle is what I don’t believe is right or proper.

Jeff

vegie

#5 Post by vegie » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:31 pm

Jeff,
thanks for your feedback. I agree with some of the points you have made.
the one about you can only do the test if you are a member of an approved club, I will look into that one. I agree with what you said [The tests will only be available to those who join an approved club/organization] but I do not know the answer I do know that is being worked on as we speak.

I agree the poachers/crims will still be a problem but we need to do something to make it harder for them. The new laws give the forestry/police/fisheries officers some clout to prosecute the offenders whereas in the past they had troubles actually charging such people.

It is a start and the details need to be ironed out but at least we are on the way. If you have any ideas how we can control these people I would be interested to hear them.

The R licence is not meant to be a general licence but a special one that requires a high standard of applicant. (membership/testing etc). It will not stop anyone hunting feral animals on private land. If people wish to hunt declared pest animals and deer on public land they will have to meet some criteria. Even if people wish to hunt deer on public land all they need is a general licence that anyone can buy.

Daryl

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:05 pm

Daryl,

Thanks for your reply. I know it isn't an easy job but I just have that one problem of people having to join a club/organization to be able to do the test.
I agree the poachers/crims will still be a problem but we need to do something to make it harder for them. The new laws give the forestry/police/fisheries officers some clout to prosecute the offenders whereas in the past they had troubles actually charging such people.

It is a start and the details need to be ironed out but at least we are on the way. If you have any ideas how we can control these people I would be interested to hear them.
That is good to hear that the new laws make it easier for authorities to procecute offenders. I'm all for that as I think any responsible hunter would be. I know you must be sick of me saying this but making everyone join an approved club/organization in order to do the test and get the R licence simply won't make it any harder or different for those who wish to break the law - it simply won't.

I have no new ideas regarding stopping those who purposely break the law. Sadly there will always be such people. All I can say is make sure if they are caught that they are prosecuted and dealt with according to the law. If enough of them get caught then that may be the only thing that may deter them. Remember that they have been around for a very long time.
The R licence is not meant to be a general licence but a special one that requires a high standard of applicant. (membership/testing etc). It will not stop anyone hunting feral animals on private land. If people wish to hunt declared pest animals and deer on public land they will have to meet some criteria. Even if people wish to hunt deer on public land all they need is a general licence that anyone can buy.
Maybe that has changed but I thought originally people had to have the R licence to hunt game animals on public and private land.

I have no problems with people having to get a general hunting licence or the R licence for that matter. Again I just think all hunters should be able to do the special test to get the R licence.

Thanks once again for your thoughts as I respect and appreciate you putting them forward.

Jeff

erron

#7 Post by erron » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:40 pm

So, what about having to get a licence, through certification with a recognised body/club, by paying a fee to be examined but without having to take up full membership?

...has to be some meeting ground here, for benefit of all?

Good to hear from you again, too, Daryl! :)

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:21 pm

So, what about having to get a licence, through certification with a recognised body/club, by paying a fee to be examined but without having to take up full membership?
Exactly Erron!!! This is how it should be. Hunters wishing to get the R licence should have to undertake an approved course conducted by an authorized person, club or organization but not have to join any club or organization. This is the only fair way to do it I believe.

Jeff

vegie

#9 Post by vegie » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:29 am

Sounds like a good idea but the requirement for membership in an approved club/association is part of the Act. Therfore it would be interesting to get it changed. As I mentioned the nuts and bolts of the R licences are currently being worked out and this is why actual details of this sytem are still not clear. As they do they will get posted on this site.

Thanks for the feedback guys it is always welcome.

Daryl

erron

#10 Post by erron » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:42 am

As they do they will get posted on this site
- that will be great, thanks Daryl!

Erron

Buford

#11 Post by Buford » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:56 am

vegie wrote:Sounds like a good idea but the requirement for membership in an approved club/association is part of the Act.
:shock: Deja Vu......

As much as I hate to say it, this sounds like the first step towards requiring a license to own a bow. :evil:

Matt
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

vegie

#12 Post by vegie » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:48 pm

As much as I hate to say it, this sounds like the first step towards requiring a license to own a bow
I do not know about that but it is certainly one of the only two bits of legislation I know of that states legally that you can use a bow to hunt with. It is in an Act of law that the bow is recognised as an approved hunting weapon in NSW. It is a either way arguement as I see it.
Is the glass half full, half empty or is just twice as big as it needs to be? :roll:

Daryl

Buford

#13 Post by Buford » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:51 pm

so does that mean people who dont hunt (like me) and just shoot for fun are going to need to go through the whole registration/ license deal to own a bow?

because the only reason my father and I started shooting bows for recreation, instead of firearms(handguns and rifles), was because of this. it was too much hassle with permits, gun safes, and not being able to practice of an arfternoon when you have a spare hour.

matt

vegie

#14 Post by vegie » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:25 am

Matt,
You will only need to buy a NSW Game licence if you are going to hunt deer on private land in NSW. Once the R licences are released they will cover hunting deer and declared pest animals on public lands.

You do not need any sort of licence to own or use a bow and I have not seen any suggestion this will be the case in the near future.

Daryl

jindydiver

#15 Post by jindydiver » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:54 am

Daryl wrote
Even if people wish to hunt deer on public land all they need is a general licence that anyone can buy.
This is incorrect. a G licence will only allow you to hunt deer (or any other game animal requiring a licence) on private land. . An R licence is required to hunt public land and you will need to join a club and complete a test to aquire one.

This newsletter is just more of the same…

Here is a new system where you now have to pay a fee to a body (the game council) to hunt on private land, those animals and birds you were able to hunt previously for free. That is as good a definition of a hunting tax as you will ever see.

And you are being asked to pay this tax while at the same time the NSW government is giving grants to researchers to examine ways of controlling Fallow deer. The Government (and more than the odd farmer) sees deer as a problem that needs controlling and this may be so seeing as with all the hunters in NSW the fallow population is still expanding in range and numbers.
Why is it then that a closed season was put on Fallow deer statewide?
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

vegie

#16 Post by vegie » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:23 am

Mick,
Thanks for picking up my mistake. Sorry about that you are correct.
A closed season was placed on fallow deer in NSW to protect the females while they were giving birth and had young at foot. It is also the time of the year where the males have cast their antlers and are regrowing the new ones.

The GC are trying to replicate the Tasmanian experience of managing the herds to improve their quality. Unfortunanetly there is many people against this idea on both sides of the fence.

Daryl

jindydiver

#17 Post by jindydiver » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:31 pm

A closed season was placed on fallow deer in NSW to protect the females while they were giving birth and had young at foot. It is also the time of the year where the males have cast their antlers and are regrowing the new ones.
Why? Fallow deer were increasing in number and range all by themselves without someone telling NSW hunters that they can’t shoot “females while they were giving birth and had young at foot”. And how does protecting all bucks, without regard to genetic lines, increase the quality of the herd?
The GC are trying to replicate the Tasmanian experience of managing the herds to improve their quality.
If this is the stated aim, then why are professional shooters allowed to shoot as many deer as they like (of both sexes and of any age) at all times of the year?
Surely that is counter productive if the aim is to increase quality in the herd.
And how does preserving (or increasing) numbers as a lone measure increase the quality of deer?
What other action is being taken to increase the quality of the herd?

What studies have been done that the Game Council is refering to as they consider what measures need to be taken to increase the quality of the herd?

The whole concept of a game council is a great thing if it is able to increase the awareness of hunting as a legitimate pastime with among both the members of Government and the wider public. But it does itself no favours by dragging NSW hunters along with it kicking and screaming, instead of explaining fully it’s aims and the rational behind the decisions made.
Unfortunanetly there is many people against this idea on both sides of the fence.
It is very hard to present a convincing argument when the reasons and rationale for a decision are not given, but instead hunters are just told “this is how it is now”.
Last edited by jindydiver on Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

#18 Post by Guest » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:21 pm

Havn't loged in for a long time but just can't let this one slide.

It disturbs me from so many angles I don't know where to start.

Firstly, I am a hunter. I was born to it and have been dedicated/addicted to it all my life. I was a hunter long before I became a bowyer or many other things I have turned my hand to.

I realise that this doesn't affect Q.L.D.......yet.

I spend hundreds of hours bowhunting each year and while I have so much more to learn I have picked up a few things along the way. Yet soon I may have to go to someone (who has what proven credentials/experience?) and see if they will approve me to legally continue to hunt as I have always done. :twisted:

Then I will have to pay to continue to hunt? $70 now I have heard. How much next year? Also, does the farmer get a cut of that? Somehow I doubt it.

If that doesn't smack of more big brother control I don't know what does.

I am not a member of ABA or any other bowhunting club. Nor are a lot of hunters that I know.

A lot of good comments from Jeff, particularly about the bad element, this will do nothing to hinder them. In the same way that the gun laws have made more illegal fire arms available to those that way inclined and life tougher on the law abiding fire arms users...... this will, in my view, fail to reduce unlawful hunting. In fact it will posibly tip a few more into that category. Meanwhile making it more expensive and regulated for those choosing to remain within the system.

One other point that seems to be missed. The closed seasons during antler growth and fawning season. This will go against the grain of dedicated trophy hunters but in my experience the best time to eat stags/bucks is in their velvet growth period. Anyone doubting that has not dined on stag meat in full rut.

These type of regulations revolve around trophy hunting not hunting for the table. Tell me, how many have found (as I have) that the reaction from non hunters when you mention that you hunt, is hugely more positive and accepted when you say that you hunt for the family table? I know which sits easier on my conscience.

I apologize for the lack of positive feedback there, no doubt there are some good points and intentions.

These are some of my initial reactions going on my experience. I only heard of this last weekend. I need to learn more about it.

#19 Post by Guest » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:24 pm

Havn't loged in for a long time but just can't let this one slide.

It disturbs me from so many angles I don't know where to start.

Firstly, I am a hunter. I was born to it and have been dedicated/addicted to it all my life. I was a hunter long before I became a bowyer or many other things I have turned my hand to.

I realise that this doesn't affect Q.L.D.......yet.

I spend hundreds of hours bowhunting each year and while I have so much more to learn I have picked up a few things along the way. Yet soon I may have to go to someone (who has what proven credentials/experience?) and see if they will approve me to legally continue to hunt as I have always done. :twisted:

Then I will have to pay to continue to hunt? $70 now I have heard. How much next year? Also, does the farmer get a cut of that? Somehow I doubt it.

If that doesn't smack of more big brother control I don't know what does.

I am not a member of ABA or any other bowhunting club. Nor are a lot of hunters that I know.

A lot of good comments from Jeff, particularly about the bad element, this will do nothing to hinder them. In the same way that the gun laws have made more illegal fire arms available to those that way inclined and life tougher on the law abiding fire arms users...... this will, in my view, fail to reduce unlawful hunting. In fact it will posibly tip a few more into that category. Meanwhile making it more expensive and regulated for those choosing to remain within the system.

One other point that seems to be missed. The closed seasons during antler growth and fawning season. This will go against the grain of dedicated trophy hunters but in my experience the best time to eat stags/bucks is in their velvet growth period. Anyone doubting that has not dined on stag meat in full rut.

These type of regulations revolve around trophy hunting not hunting for the table. Tell me, how many have found (as I have) that the reaction from non hunters when you mention that you hunt, is hugely more positive and accepted when you say that you hunt for the family table? I know which sits easier on my conscience.

I apologize for the lack of positive feedback there, no doubt there are some good points and intentions.

These are some of my initial reactions going on my experience. I only heard of this last weekend. I need to learn more about it.

erron

#20 Post by erron » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:45 am

Just a quick note: I sent a request to the Council asking them to post a reply here. They promptly replied that they would. That was yesterday, so hopefully we will hear from them soon.

Mark, good to hear from you again. It is a pity we don’t hear from the very experienced folk more often; the more voices of authority are heard, the more weight they will carry… hint hint to all you other old fellers out there to give Jeff a hand, :lol: !

Cheers,

Erron

erron

Council's Response

#21 Post by erron » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:20 pm

Well, here’s the response. Unfortunately the council does not seem prepared to come on the site and answer questions. :?

Dear readers,

I have been invited to respond to recent discussions on this website about the requirement for holders of Restricted NSW Game Hunting Licences to be members of Game Council ‘Approved Hunting Organisations.’

A major function of Game Council NSW – a statutory authority of the New South Wales Government – is to set up and administer a game hunting licence system, as well as represent the interests of those licensed hunters.

On private land in NSW, it is now law that hunters (commercial, private, hunting guides) of wild deer, waterfowl and game birds hold a current General NSW Game Hunting Licence (G-Licence). You can obtain this licence by applying to Game Council NSW.

The next stage is opening up areas of declared public land. Game Council NSW is currently working with public land managers to identify areas for access by licensed, responsible hunters in a well managed, organised and safe way.

But access to declared public land in this state will only take place with conditions attached, including a high degree of hunter accountability.

Firstly, hunters wishing to enter this land must hold a Restricted NSW Game Hunting Licence (R-Licence). To apply for the R-Licence, hunters are required, by law, to be members of Game Council Approved Hunting Organisations (please refer to Section 19 (1) of the Game and Feral Animal Control Act 2002).

Another function of Game Council NSW is to promote responsible and orderly hunting, therefore hunters accessing declared public land must have completed ‘adequate training’ which includes core competencies such as safety, animal welfare and knowledge of relevant legislation etc.

Game Council NSW has gone to considerable lengths to ensure that Game Hunting Licence holders are covered by $10 million public liability insurance.

It is important to highlight that Approved Hunting Organisations may include clubs, associations and hunting organisations – provided they have met strict criteria which includes a Constitution that complies with relevant state legislation, disciplinary provisions for its members and a hunting code of practice or conduct.

Without the higher level of accountability that being an educated member of an Approved Hunting Organisation within the new legislation brings, it is highly unlikely that public lands would ever be declared for hunters.

It is envisaged that licensed hunters on declared public land will eventually force out those who choose to hunt illegally: unlicensed and without permission.

Any opportunity to raise standards and promote responsible, accountable and ethical hunting in this state is an opportunity I’m sure the majority of hunters would support.

Please feel free to visit Game Council’s website for further information on our roles and objectives: www.gamecouncil.nsw.gov.au

Ross McKinney, CEO
Game Council NSW
10 March 2005

Buford

#22 Post by Buford » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:56 pm

anyone have any idea of when a list/ map of public land available to hunt on will be obtainable?

Matt

jindydiver

#23 Post by jindydiver » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:44 pm

Very disappointing
I posed a number of very valid questions and they have chosen to ignore them and keep on with the same press release rubbish.

These guys obviously feel they have the power and we can all go suck eggs.
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

coach

#24 Post by coach » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:56 pm

I spoke to one of the Council members about 8 months and when I asked where the money was going he replied " It will pay my wages" :roll:

To me all this is ,is a money making scheme and a way to regulate us!

It is supposed to benefit us ,but all I can see is it is taking away something that we used to do for free before.

How will they police the Deer Regulation on private land?
Why should guides now have to pay $150 a year to guide on private land?
All in all I think it is a step backwards

stace

#25 Post by stace » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:14 pm

I feel I must go along with Jeff and Mark on this issue .
To me it is the old CATCH 22 situation ,We either support it or end up loosing our right to hunt .
And as Mark stated how much next year?

The 'R" licence when first stated sounded too good to be true ,Especially when we were notified that the National Parks and Wildlife were involved .We all thought great at last a chance to hunt in the National Parks ,BUT the NPWS dropped out almost straight away .

I have discussed this Game Council with both Hunting guides ,Hunters and Property owners recently and the same thing kept coming up .
" WHO POLICES THE GAME COUNCIL RANGER" ?and his mates
"WHAT IS THEIR(THE RANGERS) BACKGROUND" ?

Ive sat on this post for ages typeing and backspaced most of it ,mainly because Iam riled over another restriction ,another charge ,and more promises .Hopefully we won't get shafted as we usually do .

And as for "LIFSTYLE" ,My uncle taught my brother to hunt ,My brother taught me to hunt ,I am teaching my son to hunt .Who taught my uncle to hunt I don't know it was too far back .ARE WE TRADITIONAL HUNTERS? is it part of our family tradition?
Not sure if i should post this ,it doesn't say what I want it to say
I just hope some good will come of the council
Sorry for rambling
stace

dartonian

#26 Post by dartonian » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:48 pm

Hi All,
Coudnt let this one go without comment. I would like to add that yes, it does appear that there are some flaws in the legislation (I fully agree with jindy about the management through closed seasons) however, this is legislation we are discussing here & while it may be easy to say "well thats going to have to change" (eg club/organisation membership requirements of restricted licences) there is going to have to be political will to make the change happen. Changing political will requires pretty major representation of the kind that usually comes through organisation membership. Catch 22?

I think that the responses to the whole hunting licence idea are probably similar to the saltwater fishing licences... not many could see any reason to pay for something that had always been done for free... now it is accepted and understood that there are benefits. I hope the hunting licences end up with the same acceptance and very tangible benefits for all.

One thing I can help with, Stace
I have discussed this Game Council with both Hunting guides ,Hunters and Property owners recently and the same thing kept coming up .
" WHO POLICES THE GAME COUNCIL RANGER" ?and his mates
"WHAT IS THEIR(THE RANGERS) BACKGROUND" ?
The Game Managers (and just about the whole organisation) are all keen hunters from varied backgrounds. That was one of the job criteria. Even the two ladies in the office are mad keen pig hunters. Brian Boyle the Ops Manager is ex Parks Victoria and you would be hard pressed to find a more dedicated hunter. Of interest to this forum should be that Brian and all the game managers own bows and three are or have been active bowhunters.
Who polices them? Perception is everything in the public sector so it looks as though they will be restricted to hunting interstate to stop the perception that game council jobs are there to better their own hunting opportunities.

Anyway, I could go on & on but I wont. Its late, been a long day & hunting politics can get a bit tiresome sometimes regardless of how passionate you are about the subject. Think I need to get out very soon & remind myself why I enjoy hunting so much.
Cheers
Dartonian.

erron

#27 Post by erron » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:41 am

Thoughtful replies all, thanks. Coach, welcome to the site, glad you worked it out!

Erron

jindydiver

#28 Post by jindydiver » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:17 am

I think that the responses to the whole hunting licence idea are probably similar to the saltwater fishing licences... not many could see any reason to pay for something that had always been done for free... now it is accepted and understood that there are benefits. I hope the hunting licences end up with the same acceptance and very tangible benefits for all.
The acceptance of the regime put in place to manage our saltwater fisheries is easy to understand when everybody who fishes could see that many species of fish targeted by recreational anglers were steadily declining in number and range over the last decade. Anglers just needed to be shown the science and they could see for themselves that there were problems and that the new regulations would address those problems. And NSW anglers can see where the money goes, it goes to buying fingerlings that are released to help increase numbers of those species of fish that were in the biggest decline and towards enforcement of the fishing regulations so we all know we are getting a fair shake.
In conjunction with the restrictions put on recreational anglers were restrictions placed on the commercial catch an example being that destructive fishing methods like the Kingfish traps were ceased.

But all this is a poor analogy for what is happening with the game council. The new restrictions being placed on deer hunting in NSW all sound similar in intent to the restrictions seen with the new fishing licence (new rules on methods and better enforcement for example) but the actual function of the rules and there real intent can’t be gauged because we have not seen the science used when legislators were examining the reasons for the new regulations and the tired old excuses being given in documents like we have seen here don’t hold water. Fallow deer are not an endangered species and any argument made that they need protection in any form whatsoever is nonsense. The fallow in NSW have been steadily increasing in range and number over the last decade and this is without any specific legislation to help them along, what science was being used when the legislators felt they needed protecting?

All of a sudden we have a new set of regulations telling us we can’t do this or we can’t do that, lets use for example the setting out of saltlicks as baits and the use of spotlights, and the game council can’t tell us why. If the use of these methods of finding fallow were of such concern that new regulations had to be drawn up specifically banning them, why can’t the game council tell us what the concern was and why it was necessary to ban them? And if I hear any more ******** about “ managing deer herds to increase the quality of the deer” I think I will have a meltdown. These new rules were placed on you and me while professional shooters are able to use pretty much any humane capture method they can devise.

Maybe the herd is being managed to increase the profit margin for professional shooter. This is the sort of conclusion that is being made in the minds of deer hunters state wide because they are now being forced to operate in a regulatory environment that has not been adequately explained.
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

erron

#29 Post by erron » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:18 pm

This is the sort of conclusion that is being made in the minds of deer hunters state wide because they are now being forced to operate in a regulatory environment that has not been adequately explained.
I can only say that I pointed out to my respondent in the council, the perils of no one from the council coming forward to answer the concerns raised here. I guess I was a little blunt in referring to their email reply as something of a Press Release document that didn’t directly address the concerns hunters have. They countered by stating the email had been tailored for the site!

All I can really say is that if this is the best response to criticism they can come up with, I fear for the future of both hunting and the council. Many (most?) hunters will ignore the council, and then the council becomes irrelevant.

Erron

coach

#30 Post by coach » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:56 pm

This is probably naive of me , but would the Council exist without our money for their "license"? As I said before ,how are they going to know if we shoot a deer on private land?

I know a lot of people have already bought licenses thinking that when the R license comes in that they will be automaticaly in for one :roll: