Would Harsh Penalities Work?

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Would Harsh Penalities Work?

#1 Post by greybeard » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:41 pm

"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Jim

Re: Would Harsh Penalities Work?

#2 Post by Jim » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:39 pm

Hey Darryl,

I realise I'm months behind the eight ball here, but I reckon it's probably more effective to increase the rate of conviction than necessarily to increase the punishment.

I think a good analogy is speeding and mobile phone use in cars. Mobile phone use comes with huge penalties but is basically unpoliced, so you see people doing it all the time in big cities. Speeding has a high rate of conviction due to speed cameras and hence people tend to obey the limits in cities. I don't know how you would effect that kind of thing in this case, but convictions are more important than legislated penalties that aren't enforced I think.

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

perry

Re: Would Harsh Penalities Work?

#3 Post by perry » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:13 am

The Laws are already in place, the fact they are ignored reinforces the fact that making things extra illegal won't work. Criminals don't think like law abiding citizens, they simply don't care about the Law. Sure ensure the penalties that are already in place to their fullest extent but do not punish law abiding citizens by imposing restrictions on them, the Criminal types do not suddenly develop a social conscience when restrictions or prohibitions are put in place. When Government does so they demonstrate a fundamental distrust of law abiding citizen and it simply pushes them a step closer to Civil Disobedience against increasing Authoritarian Governance !
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin