Hunting ferals in Suth Australia

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Hood

Hunting ferals in Suth Australia

#1 Post by Hood » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:13 pm

I found this artical in the sunday mail (SA)
Sunday 10th October.

FERALS ARE FAIR GAME

Shooting safaris plan for SA

Deer
60,000 wild deer in Australia including hog, red, sambar and fallow species in Vic Tas, NSW, QLD and SA
Cause damage to crops and potential disease risk

Goat
Up to 4 million wild goats in all states except NT
Compete with wild and domestic animals for food and contribute to over grazing

Camels
200,000 camels in Australia, which has the only feral camel population in the world
found in the deserts of SA, QLD, WA and NT
Declared a pest in WA

Wild pigs
found in QLD, NSW, SA and NT
Agriculture and diseas pest.
There are millions across Australia, cost thousands of dollars a year to control them.

A FEDERAL Government report has earmarked South Australia as a lucrative safari hunting destination.

Commissioned by the Government's Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation, it recommends hunting tours throughout Australia, including SA.

Safari Hunting of Australian Exotic Wild Game says a safari industry will help to control numbers of feral camels, goats, pigs and deer, while creating a multimillion-dollar boost for tourism.

The report's co-author, Professor Stephen Craig-Smith from the Unversity of Queensland, said game reserves would also help to diversify the state's tourist attractions.

"Safari hunting is a high-paying sport . . . they can pay from $10,000 to $12,000 a trip," he said.

"We are not talking about people walking around shooting anything that moves but a supervised hunt.

"It could also help to generate a tourism economy in semi-depressed rural areas, where infrastructure would need to be built to support the safaris."

Water buffalo, deer and wild pigs were the most popular targets, he said.

But Tourism Minister Jane Lomax-Smith said she was against a safari industry being created in SA.

"Safari hunting is not on our agenda," Dr Lomax-Smith said.

"It does not fit into our state tourism plan, which has been developed by industry in partnership with government to set our directions for tourism in South Australia.

"Under that plan, we have identified our wine regions, coastal areas, festivals, river and Outback as our strengths and are putting our resources into promoting these attributes."

However, the Sporting Shooters Association of South Australia (SASSA) welcomed the proposal.

"From the association's perspective so long as there were plans for sustainable conservation we would encourage tourist safaris," said president Dr Janine Baker. "We have a lot of inquiries from shooters in North America, Canada and Germany asking about the possibilities of hunting in Australia."

Dr Baker said South Australian safaris would be ideal for overseas hunters.

"We are a huge attraction to international hunters because we are English-speaking, a relatively safe country and we would provide the infrastructure they expect."

Currently hunting of feral pests is undertaken by the Department of National Parks and Wildlife, together with the SSASA. All hunters must undergo extensive training in marksmanship and destroying animals humanely, before being granted a hunting permit.

Last financial year, 1489 permits were granted.

National Parks and Wildlife's Animal Welfare manager Deb Kelly had doubts the safari plan would receive support.

"I don't think the public would be supportive of shooting animals for tourism, even if they may be feral," she said.
Mick
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Buford

#2 Post by Buford » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:39 am

:lol:

after reading the title of this post, I thought you ment the type of ferals that wear tie died t shirts, no shoes and shower once a week!! :lol:

buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Hood

#3 Post by Hood » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:31 pm

Thats us mate,

Doug and I are on the most wanted list. :lol:

Mick

Either way I'm happy.

erron

#4 Post by erron » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:58 pm

Moved this one here Mick, hope that's okay with you...

Sounds okay to me. If we are to get as serious as some suggest about using hunting to keep feral populations in check, this would be one way of encouraging it. It would also be a big step in the direction of legitimizing hunting in the public eye, perhaps, if it bore such official sanction? Dunno, what do others think?

Erron

Hood

#5 Post by Hood » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:07 pm

Erron Erron Erron

Do you really think that you needed to ask if I'd be ok with the move?
I'm about as relaxed about the move as a ferral cat just before it realises that its about to become a crash test dummy for an arrow maker. :lol:

Mick

Either way I'm happy.

erron

#6 Post by erron » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:38 pm

:lol:

Demitri

#7 Post by Demitri » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:24 pm

:lol: pussy willow eh?