Lunchbox Cookers

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Scrub Bull

Lunchbox Cookers

#1 Post by Scrub Bull » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:12 am

Safety warning on portable butane ‘lunchbox’ cookers :angry-extinguishflame:
Following advice and testing by certifying bodies responsible for gas safety certification, NSW Fair Trading has warned consumers of safety concerns surrounding portable butane ‘lunchbox’ style gas cookers (also called portable gas barbeques). Under this warning, the products have been removed from sale in NSW.
These products are often used when picnicking, camping and caravanning. Recent testing by certifying bodies found the products’ shut-off and safety valves failed to operate once heat was dispersed over the butane gas cylinder. This means they could overheat and possibly explode, causing serious injury. The tests concluded that the products did not meet the safety requirements under the Australian Standards and they have since been removed from sale in NSW.
NSW Fair Trading is continuing to monitor the suspension from sale of these products. We have been working with suppliers and manufacturers across the State to ensure products are removed from shelves.
Do not to purchase these products if they appear on display. If you see these cookers for sale please report this to Fair Trading on 13 32 20 or lodge a complaint. All information is treated confidentially.
If you have a lunchbox cooker:
Check our table of products suspended from sale - including single burner cookers and certain double burner models - and stop using your cooker
Return the cooker to its place of purchase for a refund (taking along proof of purchase) OR safely dispose of the butane cylinder
Read the important advice below.
Fair Trading will warn consumers and update this information based on any further advice received from the gas certifying bodies.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/C ... okers.page?
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

Mick Smith

Re: Lunchbox Cookers

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:00 pm

At first, I thought this was an Aprils fools day joke, but I think the link pretty much disproves that notion.

I'm always extra cynical on the morning of April 1st. :smile:

I don't own one of those cookers. I always thought the butane bottles were a little too close to the burner for my liking.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#3 Post by Outbackdad » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:55 pm

I have use these many times. :happy-bouncyredfire:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:03 pm

Mark, thank you for the information, I've got two of these items but will need to locate them to find out what brand they are.

Unfortunately a lot of these low cost items come out of the same factory sporting different colours or brand labels.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

discord

#5 Post by discord » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:16 pm

My mother-in-law uses one in her kitchen.... Guess I'll tell her :twisted:

Thanks Mark :smile:
HAIL ERIS!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:26 pm

discord wrote:My mother-in-law uses one in her kitchen.... Guess I'll tell her :twisted: :smile:
Or remove the label and send her a list of the faulty brands. :angry-fire:
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

davethepom

#7 Post by davethepom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:52 am

I've got 2 and love them! From what I can gather, there are two types of canisters. The ones with CRV (countersunk relief valve, I think) are the go. BigW sell that kind.

Placing a pan so large it covers the area where the canister is would be asking for trouble, but there's a warning about that in the instructions for mine.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:50 am

davethepom wrote:....Placing a pan so large it covers the area where the canister is would be asking for trouble, but there's a warning about that in the instructions for mine.
Common sense appears to becoming less common as time moves on.
davethepom wrote:.... From what I can gather, there are two types of canisters. The ones with CRV (countersunk relief valve, I think) are the go.....
My canisters have a notch in the rim near the nozzle to make sure the canister is inserted correctly, is this what you are referring to?

Daryl.
[Ascham]

davethepom

#9 Post by davethepom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:25 pm

greybeard wrote:
davethepom wrote:....Placing a pan so large it covers the area where the canister is would be asking for trouble, but there's a warning about that in the instructions for mine.
Common sense appears to becoming less common as time moves on.
davethepom wrote:.... From what I can gather, there are two types of canisters. The ones with CRV (countersunk relief valve, I think) are the go.....
My canisters have a notch in the rim near the nozzle to make sure the canister is inserted correctly, is this what you are referring to?

Daryl.
No, the notch is just for location. The CRV ones have perforations that allow the gas to vent out gradually when the pressure reaches a certain level, rather than just letting go at the weakest point.

I only buy ones with CRV on the canister and bought a couple of boxes in case they become hard to get.

I'll keep using mine, just be sure never to set up camp near me...just in case! :)