3Rivers Archery Commercial - Banned on the Outdoor Channel!

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

3Rivers Archery Commercial - Banned on the Outdoor Channel!

#1 Post by greybeard » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:31 pm

"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

Re: 3Rivers Archery Commercial - Banned on the Outdoor Chann

#2 Post by bigbob » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:13 pm

That's a small sign of things to come when a very small minority make enough noise to drown out any dissent with their radical agendas. Major problem is although some of these fringe loonies ,while small in number, have massive funding from megga rich people now trying to buy a social conscience
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Yes well I can see where they are coming from, I don't really want to see the impact shots on an advertisement either. I have come from a non hunting up bringing and chosen to pursue this way of life but still find watching some hunting/shooting footage hard to watch especially when it is coupled with heavy metal music. We don't do ourselves any favours by advertising in this way in my opinion. Steve

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:28 pm

I come from a hunting background Steve and surprisingly often find it hard to watch a big cat bring down a prey animal. I do see your point completely but hope that those of us who chose to hunt ethically and as humanely as possible are able to do so. My main grievance is when people with a clearly discernible bias such as 'vegan warriors' and their ilk try to ram their personal inclinations down others throats and that we all should follow their preferences. Man was never contrived nor evolved, as a herbivore but rather as an omnivore and I for oneam perfectly happy to remain so.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:44 pm

My point is that advertising can be done in a way that focuses on the parts of our pursuit that keep us doing it, if it was all about the kill few of us would do it.
On a side note how many people think advertising with heavy metal music back ground or advertising broadheads with demons is good for bowhunting? Steve

Kanin-maskwa

#6 Post by Kanin-maskwa » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:29 pm

I have to agree that glorifying the death of animals does our way of living a disservice.

I too come from a family and generation of hunters back in Canada. My family are Metis and many of my uncles ran trap lines and we all hunt and fish. It's a way of life and for us our heritage as it is for many people. Very few can say their forfathers did not hunt.

I must say that for me personally and as taught to me, their is a love of nature and animals and when the kill is made, their is excitement from the hunt, stalking and success.on the other hand I always feel a sadness and the hardest part is taking the life. I respect what the animal has given and sacrificed to provide my family with food.

I believe this is not uncommon and I have met a number of hunters that seem to me feel some sadness and appreciate the animals life they have taken. I also have met blood thirsty hunters that feel nothing but glee in killing. These are the hunters that naysayers focus on.

If I find myself in a conversation about hunting and its ethics i usually start with do you believe we should be allowed to eat meat? (if thier vegan thatll likely be the end of conversation unless I want to debate laws of freedom. Often the answer is yes, so than I ask how harvesting an animal allowed to live free and in its natural habitat is not as proper as raising animals for slaughter? I then turn the conversation to how bad the feed lots are etc then get them going on how to be ethical you need to First you give the animal free range and organic, stop injecting the animals and let them be more natural are you eating all organic and free range? Wouldn't that be the best? How much more free range can you get than a wild animal?
Have you ever considered the life lost when you pick up a kilo of meat at the supermarket?
Depending how the conversation is going I have been known to strike back and say, I believe if you are not willing to have the burden of taking an animals life than you don't have the right to eat meat at all, concluding with we both have strong feelings on the subject and we should be great ul for the laws that allow us freedom to live a life we can feel proud of. (Seems that may be slipping from us here)

But that's just me. I guess the point is we should enure that we can have our own personal defense when being confronted. We should also not allow ourselves to be targets by being a stereo typ of what the opposers are looking for. If we are not careful we can all loose hunting. I believe it is a heritage it can be ethical, good for the economy, good for the environment, great for bonding a family or friends and the best source of food.

Now there should be some advertisements showing that!

Nephew

#7 Post by Nephew » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:52 am

Longbow Steve I understand your point, and agree with it to an extent, but what's wrong with Metal? I love it! :smile:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:42 am

Nephew wrote:Longbow Steve I understand your point, and agree with it to an extent, but what's wrong with Metal? I love it! :smile:
METAL, I just don't have the head of hair to enjoy it I suppose :lol:

hardgainer

#9 Post by hardgainer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:31 am

You absolutely nailed it Steve....they sure tempted fate with this offering. Always thought 3R would have been a little smarter than this knowing the reactionaries would pounce.

UpweyArcher

#10 Post by UpweyArcher » Wed May 07, 2014 8:31 pm

But it is perfectly ok to show and promote all sorts of sickening violence in main stream TV and Media?

I don't agree with the ad but just saying some of the stuff being done by humans to humans on TV
as a Form of entertainment is sickening

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Thu May 08, 2014 6:44 am

Morning All.
longbow steve wrote:.... We don't do ourselves any favours by advertising in this way in my opinion.
Has anyone taken note of the date of the upload, 2007. It has been there 7 years and now people get concerned. The time gap is probably the biggest indicator of how much people really care about this.
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 7346 times
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

The Hunt

#12 Post by The Hunt » Thu May 08, 2014 9:49 am

Totally agree this as a package sends a negative message and positions the sport as all about the kill rather than the sport, but that is so American.Some of those animals look like they run off with an arrow hanging out of them with no clarity on if it was a kill shot. For me this along with the heavy metal musics adds inference of a darker side and adrenalin rush. I think 3 rivers could do better to promote themselves and the sport.
longbow steve wrote:Yes well I can see where they are coming from, I don't really want to see the impact shots on an advertisement either. I have come from a non hunting up bringing and chosen to pursue this way of life but still find watching some hunting/shooting footage hard to watch especially when it is coupled with heavy metal music. We don't do ourselves any favours by advertising in this way in my opinion. Steve