ANY PIGS HERE?

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

sun516

ANY PIGS HERE?

#1 Post by sun516 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:52 pm

Do you know where any pigs are around Melbourne that can be hunted?any one.

Buford

#2 Post by Buford » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:54 pm

Erron? :lol: :lol:

What? :P

I ment Erron can help :P :P

buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

erron

#3 Post by erron » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:21 pm

Can't help personally, Sun, although there are some in the Wombat state forest, and I believe up around Maryborough? Couldn't point you to a spot though. Would be interesting to hear, good thread!

You could try a pm or email to Woody, who I think hunts fairly locally :?

Cheers,

Erron

Buford

#4 Post by Buford » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:20 am

although there are some in the Wombat state forest
only victorians would name a forest after something furry, fat and lazy!

Was the mane "Fluffy Wabbit State Forest" already taken?

:lol: :P :lol: :P

buford (the ex-victorian who can now make victorian jokes cause he doesn't live there anymore) :lol:
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

adam

#5 Post by adam » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:33 am

(the ex-victorian who can now make victorian jokes cause he doesn't live there anymore
:wink: he he
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

erron

#6 Post by erron » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:59 pm

Oh hah bluddy hah, go rot in yer endless sunshine, you Northern dudes!

:evil:

:lol:

Actually, must admit, I LOVE:
Fluffy Wabbit State Forest
:P

Erron

Dennis La Varenne

#7 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:56 am

Sun516,

There have always been pigs in the hill country north and east of Melbourne. They are in different densities and difficult to get onto because they hide in State Forest and National Parks and come onto farmlands in the night. The closest I know of is in and around the Tullarook State Forest going across to Mt Disappoint. But you need good climbing legs and the country is real thick especially in the Gullies. You also have a chance of putting up a Sambar and there are goats around Mt Disappointment, or used to be unless they have been Judased.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

yavigaaz

#8 Post by yavigaaz » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:52 pm

Dennis La Varenne wrote:...and there are goats around Mt Disappointment...
Hm.. I wonder why you never seem to bag many goats there!? What a disappointment :(

lol

- Jeremy

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:21 pm

I believe there are some in the Strathbogie Ranges to the North of Melbourne, but doggers give them buggery making them very scarce and wary.

There's a few in the Otway Ranges to the South of Colac, but once again doggers have made the hunting extremely difficult. I've seen acres of rooted up ground in some areas, but the bush is that thick, it's almost impossible to hunt in it. They only come into the more open areas at night. I have seen solitary pigs roaming around in the Otways, usually when you least expect to see them and when the bow is at home.

Wild pigs are generally widespread through bushland in Victoria, but I believe they are rarely targeted by bowhunters. They are usually encountered by chance when hunting other species. Most serious Victorian pig hunters head to Western New South Wales. It seems the further North you travel the better the pig hunting becomes.

Nearly all the wild pig populations in Victoria are centered on public land, and the like, therefore they get a hard bashing from doggers. There are no restrictions other than no dogging in National Parks. Whereas further North, wild pig populations are more on private property which limits the ability of hunters and doggers to access them, which allows their numbers to increase, plus there is an awful lot of country in outback NSW and Qld for them to roam around in.

I don't want to discourage you. By all means get out there and look for them. Goodness knows what you may find. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

yavigaaz

#10 Post by yavigaaz » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:22 pm

What does Dogging mean?

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:25 pm

It's when big tough breeds of dog are used in packs to run down and bail up pigs. The pigs are usually knifed by the dog owners, although sometimes they are shot. It is a legal activity, but not particularly sporting in my opinion.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

yavigaaz

#12 Post by yavigaaz » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:28 pm

Not sporting at all...

I would love to hunt with just a couple of knives..
hehe I would be gutted.. But it would be fun and exhilirating.. Definately sporting..

dadpad

#13 Post by dadpad » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:42 pm

Pigs at samaria state forest between Benalla and Mansfield. In the pines and along the watercourses. Check with DSE about hunting there.

humphrey

#14 Post by humphrey » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:32 pm

well im sure i just saw my first vic pig on saturday mornin. was hunting out 1 and a half hours n.e. of melbourne on a property and saw it in very long grass 40mtrs away. at first i thought it was a wallaby, but it was walking along on all fours with long legs, so it wasn't a wombat either. i back tracked along the road and up the embankment for a stalk, and lost sight of it temporarily, and when i came to where it was it was gone and couldnt find any site of it anywhere. it was either a pig or one of those damn panthers. :lol:

ssga

#15 Post by ssga » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:21 pm

Dear All,

Goats still in Dissa saw seven on two sundays ago......saw pig sign last oct and a mate saw 4 recently, i have only seen two in 6 months, however i see more deer up there than ferals :lol: so i try not to waste my arrows :roll:

SSGA
Last edited by ssga on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moving forward is relative to where you want to go?

humphrey

#16 Post by humphrey » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:38 pm

yeah i reckon they are definately around, just in fewer numbers.
i think the reason i may have seen one on the weekend and not on that property ever before was cause the bushfires may have pushed them around to neighbouring properties.

lures

#17 Post by lures » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:54 am

Healesville has heaps if you know where to look

bmlongshot

#18 Post by bmlongshot » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:02 pm

Rest assured that there are both pigs and goats within 1 1/2 hrs of melbourne . Sadly they seem to take a fair ol' flogging from the dogging community.......It seems some people are in the habit of catching the pigs up north and releasing them down here. Having said that i dropped a good size sow 2 years ago and have spent a few spare afternoons this year resuming the chase. If you look hard enough it is suprising where they can be found
cheers
ben

RICKO

#19 Post by RICKO » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:59 pm

dadpad wrote:Pigs at samaria state forest between Benalla and Mansfield. In the pines and along the watercourses. Check with DSE about hunting there.

Samaria state forest, hunting not allowed, so check with the DSE before you do anything.might save you some hassles.

Rick