Very Interesting - Demise of the game council

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

wishsong

Very Interesting - Demise of the game council

#1 Post by wishsong » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:10 pm

http://www.gamecouncil.nsw.gov.au/docs/ ... Report.pdf

Looks like all hunting in state forests/crown land in NSW, if it indeed is to continue, will be under the aegis of others , rather than the somewhat tainted [ regardless of validity ] "goat hunters" .

longbow steve

Re: Very Interesting

#2 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Well, I hope we can continue access into the State forests. National Parks I can live without as it will always be a point of contention with those that don't want hunters in there.
Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:39 pm

I can't say I am overly surprised about the government taking this step. I never liked the way the GC was set up. The Victorian system is a much better one IMO and has worked very well for many many years.

Jeff

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

discord

#5 Post by discord » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:50 pm

"Additionally, no one under 18 would be allowed to participate, and use of bows or black powder muskets would be prohibited."

:cry:
HAIL ERIS!

Fanto

#6 Post by Fanto » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:03 pm

Hopefully common sense prevails.

Down here in SA I've been hoping that the success of the NSW and Victoria models for public land hunting ferals would eventually catch on. not looking great now.

Its not fair that we the hunters are required to somehow prove to everyone else that we can "manage" every single person who owns or has an inclination to own or use a weapon of any sort for any purpose, before we can be allowed to legally hunt introduced pests on land owned by all people.

I hope that future generations of australians, in particular political leaders, are more stoic than the current crop of populists who just go along with whatever they need to do to pick up the "swinging" voters, by which I mean that I hope one major party decides it is our land and our right to hunt on it, and that they run this as a policy platform and stick to it.

might have better luck with a lottery ticket and buy half a dozen properties with the winnings...
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

dartonian

#7 Post by dartonian » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:I can't say I am overly surprised about the government taking this step. I never liked the way the GC was set up. The Victorian system is a much better one IMO and has worked very well for many many years.

Jeff
Jeff,
I don't think anyone, even the guys that set up the Game Council would disagree with you. But the simple fact is that Vic actually has a hunting culture where hunting on public land, deer hunting licences and duck seasons are generally accepted. NSW lost this culture a long time ago so the GC was set up the only way that was politically acceptable at the time.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out because there is precious little information being leaked about what is happening down here. Rumours vary from it being the end of hunting in NSW to it being a simple government re-shuffle and life will go on as normal in a few months time with the main difference being a different department logo on your licence.

interesting times...

longbowinfected

Re: Very Interesting - Demise of the game council

#8 Post by longbowinfected » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:20 pm

It was one bridge/hurdle too far/too problematic. It was always going to be so. Pity is the greater majority of folk going into the forests/parks would always do the right thing yet there is little public admission of that. The silent majority who might decry hunting do not do much outside at all and a large number would never set foot in a park or forest.

No real serious concern about the cruelty of introduced predators like cats and foxes and the dramatic impact on the bush...... many.householders are not interested in even controlling the impact of their pets and are in denial.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

AndyD

#9 Post by AndyD » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Discord,
I read the release as:
a) All hunting in State forests on hold until new governance in place, with a tentative date of October.
b) The National parks to be trialled in October will not be available to black-powder or bows.

I did not read into this that all black-powder and bow access to be revoked long term.
Would be a shame for the rights of many to be lost due to the actions of a few.
That said the G.C of NSW was woefully funded and supported to be able to police the activities expected of them.

Hopefully something better will come of this!
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Axe

#10 Post by Axe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:44 pm

HOORAY!! It was only a matter of time, maybe someone should have told 'em, just because you make the rules doesn't make you special and it doesn't mean you're allowed to break 'em, that is unless you're a politician :wink: ... hopefully a better system ahead
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"