SAMBERhunt

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

sun516

SAMBERhunt

#1 Post by sun516 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:57 pm

Went on a day trip on 6/8/04 after Samber deer :D . My mate and I are keen bowhunters taken a few bunnys but nothing like a samber. Spotted 5 deer from 1.30 to 4.30. The furthist was 100 meters the closeist 15. The close ones barked and took off riviling a calf. Is this good for a day trip.

erron

#2 Post by erron » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:39 pm

Welcome to Ozbow Sun516!

Sounds pretty good fortune or good stalking to me.

:)

Erron

hubris

#3 Post by hubris » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:04 pm

fifteen metres :shock: !?!? wow... I'd have to hold back the excitement at that distance.
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

memo

#4 Post by memo » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:53 pm

Sun 516,
Very good for a day trip!
Were you spotting the deer and stalking, or did you put them up?
I have trouble getting close to sambar during daylight hours. I find the best opportunities are just before dark when they are up and moving about. That way they are making a bit of noise and feeding, rather than bedded down. I just think that they are hard enough to get close to, and have found that you're better off at that time as i've had them feed down gullies towards me.
Whenever I have come across them during the daytime, they have always been onto me first, and rush off, with no chance of a bowshot.
Then again mate, you sound like you're doing alright.
Just my experience :lol:
Memo