Bacon Habits?

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

hubris

Bacon Habits?

#1 Post by hubris » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:22 pm

Gday guys,

I'd like some hunter's lore on pigs... while we were up in the mountains, we saw LOADS of BIG pig rippings. Giant patches over nearly every hill in the little lulls leading down to the creek.

Most of them looked 1-2 weeks old.. we could make out the pig prints in a few of the most recent next to the creek.

Tacker and I were trying to work out how the pigs were moving around the valleys? Do pig feed on a big rotating cycle ie. feed in one valley in Autumn, another in Winter, another in Spring only to return to the first next Autumn or are they less predictable and just feeding where-ever, when-ever?
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

adam

#2 Post by adam » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:31 pm

100s of kms of hunting pigs around Canberra mate. There as unpredictable as a bent broadhead. Most around Canberra are nocturnal or very first light feeders. they feed anywhere at most times of the year and are very unlikely to stick to one area as they roam around so much. Best advice keep heading out there till you stumble upon one. Raining is your best chance that’s when I had the most luck around Canberra. Out west up the cape New England Ranges etc etc all different to Canberra if you ask me. All other places Iv hunting pigs Iv been able to pattern them and know when’s best for a chance at pigs.
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

hubris

#3 Post by hubris » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:34 pm

thanks for that Adam... really interesting about the climate differences... are other game as unpredictable?

Adam, how big is a pigs feeding area? Does a single group feed over 10s of kilometres like migrating, or do they have home areas and only in that area? Or does it differ from pigs to pigs?
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'