Deer are a Public Nuisance.

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Deer are a Public Nuisance.

#1 Post by GrahameA » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:27 am

Morning All.

That title should get some interest and apparently in some places they are.
In addition to being a public nuisance, the deer are a health hazard, spreading diseases, Monroe said, and a danger to motorists when they run across lanes of traffic – particularly in the post-Halloween breeding season. 
So what do you do? It appears that some people are taking different approach.

The archery-in-the-parks season runs from Sept. 24 to Feb. 11. 
Probably more exciting than Austen-in-the-Park.

http://chantilly.patch.com/articles/arc ... ully-parks
Last edited by GrahameA on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

jindydiver

Re: Deer are a Public Nuisance.

#2 Post by jindydiver » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:36 am

Bowhunting in urban areas is very widespread in the East of the US. I wish hunting was as accepted here so we could run similar programs.
So info for you to read...
http://www.swmnga.org/
http://ubnj.org/deermanagement.php
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

slvrslngr

#3 Post by slvrslngr » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:37 pm

Yup, it's kind of strange hunting deer in literally in someones backyard. Of course you need to be discreet. I hunted in Missouri one year and one spot was right next to a golf course, you could see and hear the golfers doing their thing out on the fairway, while the deer and myself did ours in the woods. The deer were so used to hearing people talk it was like the golfers weren't even there and I watched a small buck bed down just inside the woods about 50 yards from a tee. Even anti hunters start to come around to the benefits of sportsmen actively participating in game management after totaling a few cars and having their high dollar landscaping destroyed.

Flatliner

#4 Post by Flatliner » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:20 pm

It's a bit like that on the tablelands up here only with rabits. I don't know if it's the soils or just the shear volume of water we get up here every year,(they don't seem to burrow out in the fields) but there's more rabits in the parks and under suburban shed slabs and such than there is in the surrounding padocks.

Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

longbowinfected

#5 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:04 am

In the states the deer are anecdotally linked with and partly blamed by some for carrying ectoparasites and helping spread nasty diseases like Lymes disease. I wonder how long before something like that might happen over here.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

gazza

#6 Post by gazza » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:17 pm

dont hold your breath, the greenies would rather have the limes disease than let you hunt,gazza.
The older i get the better i was

kimall

#7 Post by kimall » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:20 pm

Now that is a TOP idea Gazza give the greenies limes disease.:)
Cheers KIM

perry

#8 Post by perry » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:47 am

A couple of weeks ago while driving to work I heard on ABC radio that 2 Rusa Deer where causing a traffic hazard on Maundrall Tce at Aspley which is on Brisbane's North side. A couple of blokes tried to Corral them in Craigslea High School but they bolted back into the Scrub between Hamilton Rd and Becket Rd at McDowall.

There is Deer living in Scrub 10 minutes from my place and all through the region of North and South Pine Dam . Bambi syndrome is alive and well also with the well to do crowd living in Brisbane's Leafy Western Suburbs with Deer living on their acreage plots and surrounding Park and Scrub lands. I think it was last year a Rusa Stag caused choas as it panicked and ran across the Walter Taylor Bridge at Indooroopilly

Gazza, remember a few years back when we both picked up a heap of ticks. We both felt off colour for months, likely due to alergic reation's. I understand Lymes Disease is pretty nasty and you would not wish it on even a rabid Greenie - has it's appeal though :lol:

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

rodlonq

#9 Post by rodlonq » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Yer....... and wot about the new Tooheys advert with all them deer walkin' into pubs etc. You couldn't bloody miss with the numbers they have in that town. :lol:

Cheers......... Rod

hazard

#10 Post by hazard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:36 pm

GrahameA wrote:Morning All.

That title should get some interest and apparently in some places they are.

Quote:
In addition to being a public nuisance, the deer are a health hazard, spreading diseases, Monroe said, and a danger to motorists when they run across lanes of traffic – particularly in the post-Halloween breeding season.ÂÂ

So what do you do? It appears that some people are taking different approach.

ÂÂ
Quote:
The archery-in-the-parks season runs from Sept. 24 to Feb. 11.ÂÂ

Probably more exciting than Austen-in-the-Park.

http://chantilly.patch.com/articles/arc ... ully-parks
Very interesting, Do you reckon we have an honest chance of that here considering the level of ignorance we cop from the misguided? The U.S has a very strong gun, hunting culture with an entirely different mentality i guess brought about by generations of wars. Allbeit brutal Australia hasn't really had that consistant foundation. Many people i know are very outspoken about their dislike of hunting and these people don't know hardly anyone who hunts, once thay find out they treat you as you have something wrong with you. In proportionate ratio Australia has it would seem a lot more people like this taking population sizes in to perspective.
kimall wrote:Now that is a TOP idea Gazza give the greenies limes disease.
Cheers KIM
:biggrin:
perry wrote:Gazza, remember a few years back when we both picked up a heap of ticks. We both felt off colour for months, likely due to alergic reation's. I understand Lymes Disease is pretty nasty and you would not wish it on even a rabid Greenie - has it's appeal though

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
gazza wrote:dont hold your breath, the greenies would rather have the limes disease than let you hunt,gazza.
I reckon that would be a fair payment for their Pig ignorance! 8)
longbowinfected wrote:In the states the deer are anecdotally linked with and partly blamed by some for carrying ectoparasites and helping spread nasty diseases like Lymes disease. I wonder how long before something like that might happen over here
Even though we wouldn't really wish Lymes desease even on the Ignorant greenies, with the ammount of introduced flaura and fauna here let alone what is making it through as we speak it is only a matter of time before it arrives, maybe then they will sit up and listen....maybe when one of their kids gets the disease.
slvrslngr wrote:Even anti hunters start to come around to the benefits of sportsmen actively participating in game management after totaling a few cars and having their high dollar landscaping destroyed.
Its funny how money seems to do that very thing :wink:

Hazard