roving and stump shooting in national parks?

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

craig

roving and stump shooting in national parks?

#1 Post by craig » Wed May 26, 2004 7:02 pm

is it legal to go stump shooting/roving in national parks or would it fall into a restricted activity?
any idea how to find out --- i have shot for a while but only in green fields with round targets and have never had to find out this sort of info before.
how do you find out what is restricted etc..

vegie

#2 Post by vegie » Thu May 27, 2004 10:32 am

Craig,
What state do you live in ? the laws differ a bit between states.
NSW the answer would be no and Victoria would probably be the same.
In Vic you can legally hunt sambar deer in some National Parks but only sambar and only if you have an Authority to hunt and your gear must meet certain requirements. It is illegal to hunt anthing else. You shoot a rabbit or be caught carring blunts and you could be charged.

Check with your state department but I think you will find it is illegal to shoot a bow within a National park. The links page on this site will help.

Daryl

Buford

#3 Post by Buford » Thu May 27, 2004 12:37 pm

:shock:
Check with your state department but I think you will find it is illegal to shoot a bow within a National park.
oops! :shock:

didn't kill anythin though! :wink:

buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Tuffcity

#4 Post by Tuffcity » Thu May 27, 2004 1:35 pm

In Canada you'd probably be face down in the dirt and handcuffed before you knew it. The National Parks policy is pretty anti weapon of any kind in the park- I'm surprised they still let you fish in them. The Provincial park's system (at least in BC) allows for hunting in many of them.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

MarkP

#5 Post by MarkP » Thu May 27, 2004 7:59 pm

Not an option in QLD National parks

MarkP

craig

#6 Post by craig » Fri May 28, 2004 12:42 pm

i forgot to mention state...never entered my head really.
but it's NSW. so it's down to private property i guess.

Buford

#7 Post by Buford » Fri May 28, 2004 1:06 pm

hey tuffcity,

thats one trippy avatar man!! 8)

buford

erron

#8 Post by erron » Fri May 28, 2004 1:50 pm

Yeah, darn right it is! :shock:

E.

Buford

#9 Post by Buford » Fri May 28, 2004 2:45 pm

kinda looks like a deer.......?
if i had been chewin on smiley pirates! :lol:

buford

Dennis La Varenne

#10 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun May 30, 2004 1:23 am

Craig,
As a general rule, you cannot take any kind of weapon into a National Park anywhere in Australia unless you have a permit. Getting the permit is the tricky bit.

Most States in Australia have a total ban on carrying or using any kind of weapon in National Parks except in Victoria where you may take a bow into several (but not all) of our National Parks for the sole purpose of hunting deer and only if you are in possession of a Victorian Game Licence. Your bow must be of 22.5kg draw weight and shoot an arrow of a minimum weight of 25 grams with a sharpened minimum 2-bladed broadhead.

Unlike other States, in Victorian State Forests, you may pretty much hunt any non-native animals or practice shooting your bow so long as you do not disturb, harm, harrass or endanger any native wildlife, persons or property obviously - the usual common sense things.

But, in Victorian National Parks generally, you cannot legally hunt any kind of pest animal or use your bow for any other purpose than hunting deer with a licence and the legal bow and arrows. The only Victorian National Parks where deer hunting is permitted are all east of the Hume Highway in our high country and South Gippsland.

I do not believe that bowhunting is legal in any NSW National Park for the time being, but who knows what your new Game Council may be able to achieve.

Dennis La Varenne

PS to Tuffcity: The Australian National Parks system is administered by the various States rather than the Federal Government which administers Parks only in the very few Federal Territories.

We also have State Parks and a whole sub-system of smaller defacto National Parks with a creative collection of titles which are treated like National Parks but usually set up for the preservation of discrete ecological systems. They are probably similar to your Provincial Parks, but they are treated almost identically to National Parks so far as hunting is concerned.

In Australia, hunting is for non-indigenous pest animals only and almost nobody is interested in hunting natives anyway, except for ducks and quail using a shotgun only where legal.

Parks Victoria (which is the administrative arm of Government for Parks here in Victoria) has generally made a collossal cock-up of managing the Parks system which have almost entirely degenerated in refuges for anything and everything noxious including bushfires, but they will not allow the hunting of pest animals in National Parks for any reason, and they are completely unable to control them themselves.

After some very serious bushfires here in Victoria in the summer of 2003 which were the direct result of Parks Victoria not being able or willing to conduct fuel reduction burns because of ecological sensitivities, our Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) became known as the Department of Sparks and Embers. Very many surrounding farms were incinerated and they lost everything. The Government would not even agree to pay for the re-erection of their burnt fences along Park boundaries which were lost, and it refused to acknowledge any responsibility for these bushfires. Farmers were left to their own devices.

Nearly one quarter of the north east of the State went up because of the lock-up mentality of Parks Victoria who want to keep the people out of THEIR Parks. They have not got neither the staff nor the money to look after them but keep adding more and more public land to this system by a deceitful system of land reclassification and taking more and more land away from general access to the people.

I don't like them much.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Tuffcity

#11 Post by Tuffcity » Sun May 30, 2004 7:26 am

Our provincial parks in BC could( probably) be most accurately described as recreation areas as opposed to specific eco-system preservation sites. They are usually areas that were set aside to prevent over utilization by industry (logging, mining, etc) and used to provide very reasonably priced camping sites, and access to lakes, rivers and mountain areas. Alas things are going the way of "run for profit" with the user paying to take up the slack in previous Gov't funding. Some were set up to preserve a rare eco-system but most are multi use land.

They range in size from a couple of hectares to the most recent dedication, what's being called a Management Area, of 4.4 million hectares. This M.A. was set up to "to ensure that wilderness and wildlife values were protected in perpetuity while still permitting environmentally responsible industrial development. Large portions of this area have a lot of vehicle restrictions on it but all of it is still open to hunting. Most of the provincial parks are also open to hunting at certain times of the year, barring those in high traffic/urban environments were safety would definitely be an issue.

Our National parks are a Federal Gov't responsibility and their policy is very hands off as far as any sort of utilization of the environment goes. This includes hunting. These areas are very much run to maintain only "pure" naturally occurring native species of flora & fauna.

The preceding was not a very definitive description of our how our parks work but should give a basic overview. :)

Erron, wrc,

re: avatar- photoshop is a wonderful thing :D I made a sign up poster for our "company" hunting contest and just snicked the electric deer head for the av.

Here's the whole thing:

http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=760

RC

erron

#12 Post by erron » Sun May 30, 2004 10:40 am

Dennis,
I don't like them much.
-well mate, tell us you feel; don't hold back!

:lol:

Seriously, thanks for the input, and the data is obviously well researched and factual, knowing you. Yes, Parks Victoria sure have stuffed things it seems. And the govt. in Victoria seems to be developing more along arrogant Jeff Kennet lines every day, IMO. :x

Richard,

so that's how you did it! Yeah, I love photoshop too, although I can only use about 2% of it!

Care to give more details on the hunt it advertises?

cheers,

Erron

Tuffcity

#13 Post by Tuffcity » Sun May 30, 2004 11:15 am

Erron,

We have quite a few hunters in our organization and my hunting partner & I started this "contest" about 10 years ago as a way for people to keep in touch a bit more as we're scattered over several towns up & down the island. It's strickly a fun event and we encourage folks to get their kids involved as well. It's $20 to sign up and we have a prize for the biggest blacktail bucks taken by bow and firearm, largest doe, and biggest "other". (ie: elk, moose, bear...) For the largest "other" we don't differentiate between bow or gun but compare the scores as a percentage of the Boone & Crocket or Pope & Young minimum scores. So if somebody shot a moose with a rifle and it scored as 45% of the B&C minimum and someone else tipped over an elk with an arrow and it scored as 50% of the Pope & Young minimum, the bow kill would win.

All the entry moneys collected get rolled into prizes at the end, usually with a few draw prizes as well- we don't get too carried away on the value of the prizes, preferring to have more to go around. The whole event ends with a BBQ get together around April where tall tales are told, a few cool tinnies are opened (ok, sometimes a bunch) and everybody brings a chunk of their beast to cook up and pass around.

Good humour. :D

RC

erron

#14 Post by erron » Sun May 30, 2004 11:38 am

Sounds fantastic, Richard! Love those fun shoots!

8)

Erron

Buford

#15 Post by Buford » Sun May 30, 2004 5:48 pm

re: avatar- photoshop is a wonderful thing I made a sign up poster for our "company" hunting contest and just snicked the electric deer head for the av.
:roll:

and here i thought i had just been sittin' too close to the screen again! :D

buford

darthfik

#16 Post by darthfik » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:07 am

Yep tufcity a real trippy avatar.

Tuffcity

#17 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:35 pm

Heyyyy... now there's a whizzy one! :D

RC

erron

#18 Post by erron » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:37 pm

Yes, tres cool 8)

Erron

Buford

#19 Post by Buford » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:47 pm

:D
just a suggestion, but you may want to review your shooting technique. you broadhead appears to be travelling backwards? :lol: :P

buford 8)

darthfik

#20 Post by darthfik » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:15 am

I could reverse it but I thought it looked better that even if not technicaly correct. :P

hubris

#21 Post by hubris » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:16 pm

Dennis, what you say about the parks departments and the pests is so true. I've been hiking up in Namadgi and Kosiosco since i was small, and used to sleep out at night, in the open, no fear of anything, but recently in some areas the wild dogs have gone bezerk. Almost everytime I've been out lately I've had dogs come in, in one case they were crawling under the cabin and growling while I was showing some US Navy exchange students how friendly the australian bush was.

An example of how bad they've got is a while ago I got chatting with a ranger while up there, and he described one area between Namadgi and Kos where he said he and the other rangers almost turn a blind eye to guns 'un-officially'. He said there was a guy who hadn't slept for 2 nights staying up throwing rocks at the dogs.

It make me really angry :x since I wonder how long it will be till someone gets attacked badly, and I want to be able to take my kids up there one day (when I have some) and not worry about whether they'll be attacked.