Bow Licence in NSW???

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

looseplucker

Re: Bow Licence in NSW???

#31 Post by looseplucker » Sun May 22, 2011 5:32 am

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Hey digger thanks for introducing yourself :roll:
digger wrote:In future to save me the trouble of double posting, responses from the Alliance will be on the TBGA forum for those of you who are interested.
Quite frankly I think this and your whole post comes across rather condescending. If it was such trouble for you to post here then perhaps you just shouldn't have bothered. Also this site is not TBGA it is Ozbow a completely separate internet community with many members who do not follow TBGA forums.

If the Archery Alliance of Australia wants to get information out to Bowhunters and Archers in this country then reach out to them where they are; may I also suggest that the use of some politeness when doing so wouldn’t do any harm either. :x

Jeff
Well said that man! Although I am one of those who does hang around on both forums. And for mine it is not a crisis - yet. What there is - or rather isnt- is a lack of information on what is happening from an issues management perspective, whether this new alliance (which has a VERY familiar name) has a strategy that includes membership of an 'approved organisation' if licensing occurs and what strategy is proposed if it all starts happening. Do we fight or roll over? What is the contingency plan? What is the best alternative to a negotiated outcome? Or are the lesser mortals not to be privy?
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

dawallace45

#32 Post by dawallace45 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:42 pm

I think the new legislation making knives controlled weapons in Victoria is an example of where you can.
The law is ineffective and always will be ,, it's just about being seen to be doing some thing with out really doing any thing rather than really addressing a problem
I think it more a form of stupidity , the new law doesn't really stop the people it should and makes life difficult for the innocent , take for instance the teenage girl that works for Kmart that got hit with a $1000 on the spot fine for having a work issued box cutter [ model fitted with safety so it can't be used as a weapon ] but if some one really wants to carry a cutting instrument or stabbing instrument then it's still extremely easy , I've seen a person need 16 stitches after being sliced with a sharpened credit card and a ordinary biro makes a very good stabbing instrument , a steel bodied pen makes a even better one , hell a sharp stick will do

Friend of mine down victoria has been stopped and searched several times and always carries a box cutter and a leatherman but he also carries a couple of small screw drivers , he's a computer tech and if asks he just tells the police they are his tools , in actual fact the screw drivers are probably better weapons than the box cutter

Pretty much any thing can be turned into a weapon , a rolled up newspaper is extremely effective when used right , to legislate against a group of tools is plain stupidity , nothing is a weapon until it's used with intent and pretty much any thing can be used as a weapon if you have the intent

David

Nephew

#33 Post by Nephew » Sun May 22, 2011 2:38 pm

kerrille wrote:this is what got up my nose

...I'm pretty sure it's an offence in all states to kill an animal slowly and painfully or worse to just wound it so that it escapes to suffer. In SA, for
example it is illegal to kill an animal in a way that causes unnecessary
suffering ... which makes anybody shooting animals with a bow in violation of the Animal Welfare Act. Arrows don't kill reliably or quickly. They more likely disable an animal so he or she can be beaten or stabbed to death.

"The ethics of hunting"? Anybody with even a nanogram of thought for the suffering of the animal wouldn't use a bow to kill one.

i thought someone else would have gotten on to this

...nev...
Well, sign up and rip into him, Nev! I did! :D
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

kerrille

#34 Post by kerrille » Sun May 22, 2011 2:53 pm

craig so i see :D ..ive signed up but it wont let me sign in at the moment.

...nev..
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

piggy

#35 Post by piggy » Sun May 22, 2011 5:00 pm

Having first seen diggers post on TBGA I suggested he post it here also to clear up a few facts and thank you for posting it up here.
What dose concern me is this comment by Digger

"In future to save me the trouble of double posting, responses from the Alliance will be on the TBGA forum for those of you who are interested"

I would have thought with such an issue the Alliance would be represented on ALL archery forums so as to reach as many people as possible, we have 1400+ members here.
I am not a member of ABA or any of the other groups with the alliance, why because the common belief is that these groups don't really care about bow hunters and it is reflected in that one sentence.

Nephew

#36 Post by Nephew » Sun May 22, 2011 5:08 pm

I just Googled that Geoff Russell character who made comments on that link. No wonder he spouts such uninformed nonsense, he's the enemy!! :x He runs Animal Lib in Victoria and is the louse that pulled that ruse where they laid ducks, collected over a few years and stored frozen, and that had died of natural causes, out on the footpath in front of the Victorian Parliament to try and pretend there were too many being killed by hunters! HUH, dishonest AND willfully ignorant, and yet I bet the public are listening and believing his lies! :evil: You can email him - http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/geoff-r ... 29336.html and I suggest you do, he should know we are on to him and will refute his lies at every given opportunity!

jindydiver

#37 Post by jindydiver » Mon May 23, 2011 12:13 pm

digger wrote:
In future to save me the trouble of double posting, responses from the Alliance will be on the TBGA forum for those of you who are interested.
I wouldn't have thought that posting a copy a couple of different websites would be much of an impost on your time, or any real effort, but if it really is too much trouble then perhaps you could just add to the bottom of each post permission for others to post your info on other forums.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Steven J

#38 Post by Steven J » Mon May 23, 2011 12:57 pm

This post is a bit late but I will comment none the less.
dmm wrote:
If this boy's mother had jumped online, come to an archery forum, created an account and posted "I want to buy a bow for my son", I reckon she would have got keen advice, and I wouldn't have been surprised if she'd even got a free bow out of it. Given your running an Archery Club it's a pity they didn't ask for your advice first.

How much would you estimate he paid for this bow an arrows?
Mum actually did ask for my advice. As you suggested, I tried to do the right thing by the locals. I had met them first and they seemed 'new' but OK.

His bow and arrows was around $350.

Because I made the recommendation, that is why I felt the need to step in and have the bow returned and build him a better one.

All of the other lads are using either Tradbits or John McDonald.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

dmm

#39 Post by dmm » Mon May 23, 2011 3:08 pm

Steven J wrote: All of the other lads are using either Tradbits or John McDonald.
Two suppliers I have used on more than one occasion, and suppliers I learnt about through their postings an involvement with this forum. Thanks
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

GrahameA

#40 Post by GrahameA » Mon May 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi All.

Both John McDonald (McDonald Archery/ AMSO128) and Mark Harvey (TradBits) supply an excellent service to the traditional community. If you want them to be there in the future when you need them then support them.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nephew

#41 Post by Nephew » Mon May 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Both have gone out of their way to help me out. John is one of the most generous and encouraging folk you could ever deal with, imho.

wishsong

#42 Post by wishsong » Mon May 23, 2011 4:45 pm

The odd thing is I looked up the archery alliance website , whose last media release appears to have been last year http://www.archery.org.au/lib/pdf/aaa291010.pdf

Where is the public condemnation of the recent hooliganism as referred to ?

I cannot find it on the ABA website either ?

I may have missed some links or similiar but I have not found anything inwriting from either organisation ?

dmm

#43 Post by dmm » Mon May 23, 2011 6:05 pm

wishsong wrote:The odd thing is I looked up the archery alliance website , whose last media release appears to have been last year http://www.archery.org.au/lib/pdf/aaa291010.pdf

Where is the public condemnation of the recent hooliganism as referred to ?

I cannot find it on the ABA website either ?

I may have missed some links or similiar but I have not found anything inwriting from either organisation ?
Maybe the mistrust of electronic forums extends to putting things in writing on websites?
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

hazard

#44 Post by hazard » Tue May 24, 2011 6:29 pm

The only that needs regulation is the media "Miss Quoting" !!!!Regulate that!!!!

Regulation will never stop the vacuum headed morons responsible for this foolishness, the gun laws proved that a billion times over. All they effectively do is choke everyone but the people responsible for this kind of stupidity.

It will always fire up the other control freaks who just want an excuse to regulate every last breath.

I agree we must all stand together and stand up to these ignorant fools who refuse to see licencing won't fix the problem.
Attachments
gun laws
gun laws
img040 1.JPG (129.97 KiB) Viewed 10332 times
gun laws.TIF
gun laws.TIF (187.9 KiB) Viewed 10356 times
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Dennis La Varenne

#45 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:28 pm

On the issue of licensing of bows (and anything related for that matter), when anybody can show me that there is a general menace to the safety of society by the misuse of bows rather than a collection of very infrequent and isolated incidents, then I will support licensing.

But there is not, and never has been in this country.

Despite there being arguably many people 'out there' who are not affiliated with any archery organization as we may suppose (I once conducted a small straw poll survey among archery dealers in Melbourne who confirmed my suspicion that most weren't), so far this unregulated number still hasn't presented itself as a frequent or common social menace. Surely it is reasonable to deduce from the statistically almost vanishingly small number of incidents of harm confirms that we are not a social menace and that should be the starting point of this debate.

In other words, to the proponents of licensing, where is your evidence that we are a social menace which needs licensing to protect society, for that is what you are proposing and that is what you are telling the rest of society.

It is not the fact that isolated and appalling incidents of cruelty and public damage do occur, but that they are so infrequent, which is what refutes this belief that licensing is needed.

What is most appalling is this assumed opinion from among prominent people of our own kind that we DO in fact constitute some kind of social menace which is the real problem? It is a public accusation against ourselves from among our own kind that we are a serious danger to society.

That kind of betrayal from among our own kind is what is so sickening and disgraceful. Don't try to dress the proposition up as anything other than that. Not only are these proponents handing the hangman the rope by which to hang us, they go even further and tie the knot, place it around OUR necks and pull the lever.

Whatever makes you thing anything of benefit to archery or the public can or will accrue therefrom? It is as stupid and kneejerky a response as I have ever heard. Trying to protect archery by boiling the reasonable frog is about as misguided a notion as can be conceived.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

dmm

#46 Post by dmm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Imagine if someone suggested that bats (baseball, cricket, whatever) can be, and have been used for violence, and everyone wanted to own one had to be a member of a sporting club, and have a license!

Do you think many politicians would support the end of backyard cricket?
David
--

Nephew

#47 Post by Nephew » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:05 pm

dmm wrote: Do you think many politicians would support the end of backyard cricket?
If a focus group survey told them it was electorally advantageous (of course it wouldn't, but you get my point), then yeah, I do, sadly. :roll: :x

dmm

#48 Post by dmm » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Looks like they may license hammers in Qld before they get to bows....

* Carrying hammer "a dangerous thing to do"
* Judge suggests hammer legislative reform
* Comment during hearing on bashing death

http://www.news.com.au/national/judge-c ... 6071019896

We should all hope really really hard, that nobody ever murders someone with a bow.
David
--

chewy_baillie

#49 Post by chewy_baillie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:58 pm

A few weeks ago i agreed to go for a hunt with a work mate to cull some pigs on his property. I semi knew the fella and he told me he had a Bear compound bow and had all the hunting gear. I agreed, rocked up to the fellas house and he was shooting his broadheads in to a target, they were duller than the light that night! When we got out he tryed to draw the thing when i was standing in front of him(wanker) and he was that weak he couldnt draw a 60# compond bow (did the whole 360 thing). I gave up and said im going home. I wouldnt be apart of what he had planned for a hunting trip.
All he had on his mind was to kill something, i talked to him about protected specices and he just laughed at me. Obvoiusly i didnt invite this bugger to my club but these are the idiots that ruin it for everyone. :x

Gringa Bows

#50 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Yeah,dont think i'd like to hang around that fool mate....but maybe you should take him to your club ,he might learn something , maybe...........and Welcome to Ozbow :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#51 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:34 am

Welcome to the site Chewy and good to see you post. :biggrin:

There are people like that fella in all walks of life, some can be helped with guidance but others just don't care and will do the wrong thing regardless. We can only do our best and set a good example and hope they will learn from it.

Jeff

Nephew

#52 Post by Nephew » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:55 am

You did right, Chewie (and welcome to Ozbow) I don't think I'd last ten mins in his camp! I actually get tired of trying to explain to folk about protected species, etc, they just laugh and act like your some kind of do-gooder (which I never understood as an insult. What's so bad about doing good? :confused: ) and then just go ahead and do whatever they want anyway!

Cheetah

#53 Post by Cheetah » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:58 pm

G'day guys, i'm new to the forum having only just discovered it yesterday, so I don't mean to tread on any toes but this topic has caught my interest.
My first love always has been firearms and i'm quite passionate about the shooting sports and hunting, whether for food or for feral pest eradication. As is the case for the vast majority of firearms/bow owners, I always obey the law (i've never so much as had a speeding fine) and I always try to do the right thing.
Why then, whenever some criminal shoots someone (with an illegally obtained, probably smuggled, firearm), do more of my freedoms get infringed? The latest being the pointless NSW ammunition bill?
What's this got to do with archery? I'm getting to it.
All legislation has seem to have done is make it easier for the wankas in parliament to punish law abiding firearms owners. Every time something happens that's illegal or immoral, we cop it, even though no licensed firearms owner nor registered firearm was involved. The crims or immoral wankas don't suffer. They were already doing the wrong thing or breaking the law, what is further legislation going to achieve if they weren't willing to tow the line in the first place?

As soon as bows become subject to registration and archers to licensing, the slow but steady process of taking away the ability of law abiding, moral archers to practice their sport will start. People will continue to break the law though, and wankas without morals will still go out with their unregistered, unlicensed, possibly backyard made (without having the knowledge or skill to make a bow appropriate to the task) bows going out there and shooting up the wildlife. Net result of such actions will be that the media or left wing animal lib toss pots will be up in arms and start public debate on the subject. Ignorant members of the public that don't know what they're talking about will demand that bow hunting be stopped as 'why do people in a modern society even need to hunt animals, let alone with bows', yada yada yada, etc etc. If bows are already subject to registration and archers to licences, then it makes it just that much easier for the pollies to turn around and implement a knee jerk policy to appear to be doing something as they already have you in their grasp. Your on paper now, your an issue, in the public spot light and there's no turning back.

Stay as far far away from licensing and registration for as long as possible, lest you end up like the law abiding firearms community in this country.

Cheers.

longbowinfected

#54 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:21 pm

always remember that the Archery Alliance represents three associations. They do not represent all archers. I think it is great that they are talking to each other. Each association has different views on many issues. It is a good thing to dialogue and cooperate.The officers of those associations would most probably like to have more members. Licensing would deliver more members. Push comes to shove they would be more likely to accept and embrace licensing than not.....especially if they can also charge fees for training people.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#55 Post by GrahameA » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi Kevin.
longbowinfected wrote:The officers of those associations would most probably like to have more members. Licensing would deliver more members. Push comes to shove they would be more likely to accept and embrace licensing than not.....especially if they can also charge fees for training people.
The CEO of Archery Australia is on the Public Record of being in favour of Licensing Bows!
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#56 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:50 pm

GrahameA wrote:The CEO of Archery Australia is on the Public Record of being in favour of Licensing Bows!
Outrageous!!! :x

The enemy within as they say. :x :roll: :x

Jeff

hazard

#57 Post by hazard » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
GrahameA wrote:The CEO of Archery Australia is on the Public Record of being in favour of Licensing Bows!
Outrageous!!! :x

The enemy within as they say. :x :roll: :x

Jeff
This clown needs to be Named and voted out immediately :x

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

alaninoz

#58 Post by alaninoz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:25 pm

longbowinfected wrote:The officers of those associations would most probably like to have more members. Licensing would deliver more members. Push comes to shove they would be more likely to accept and embrace licensing than not.....especially if they can also charge fees for training people.
Everyone I've spoken to on the ABA National Executive, and that's most of them, is opposed to the registration and licensing of bows.

While I too am opposed to the licensing or registration of bows, my view is that it will happen - it's just a matter of time.

Now excuse me while I run for cover.
Alan

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#59 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:11 pm

alaninoz wrote:Everyone I've spoken to on the ABA National Executive, and that's most of them, is opposed to the registration and licensing of bows.
Well that is a positive.

Jeff

Dennis La Varenne

#60 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:20 am

There are always fools who are willing to give up the freedoms and rights of others because they think that by doing so, it will demonstrate some kind of public responsibility.

They think that, by extension, if they voluntarily give up the rights of their own people to government control, governments will treat them more tolerantly. They don't. They never have and they never will. When you give up power to government, you NEVER get any reward or benefit.

The fundamental premise in the licensing argument is that archery is an ongoing danger to the public safety. It is not and never has been. By having this issue thrown at them by the media every time some act of vandalism is committed with archery equipment, some within our organizations believe in a kind of pre-emptive suicide by going along with the accusation and trying to allay media scrutiny by offering to governments and media that the rest of us will voluntarily fall on our arrows as a sign of our good intentions.

It is a case of 'boiling the reasonable frog' all over again.

What our organizations often do NOT do is fight like blazes and challenge each and every accusation which tries to portray archery as a threat to the public safety. It reminds me of those Jews in the second world war who tried to be reasonable with the Nazis and ultimately led their own people into death camps via such reasonable places as Theresienstadt.

Nowhere in this debate from the protagonists of licensing are they able to demonstrate a clear benefit to archers or a remedy to a non-existent issue of public safety. The can never demonstrate that there IS an genuine issue of public safety which need addressing. Their only motive is fear of prohibition, and that FEAR motivates them to want to herd us all into an archery Theresienstadt on our way to our ultimate extinction. Our own people propagandize us with reasonable argument about the benefits of licensing while they sell us out.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.