Archery Action May - June 2011

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

dmm

Archery Action May - June 2011

#1 Post by dmm » Wed May 11, 2011 8:33 am

Just received my copy of the magazine, which was a nice surprise when I joined the ABA.

I note they have amended the rule about no camouflage clothing on the course. You can now wear appropriate clothing for the sport. They say if was prompted by the fact IFAA don't have a restriction on camo clothing. I thought it was a good rule, in terms of safety, and public perception. Interesting to see if my next ABA meet looks different. It won't change my outfit.

Also they have made it that you have to wear closed toed shoes, which is a "no brainer" down here in Victoria, but might upset some of the rain forest dwellers.

I haven't finished the magazine, but if you want to comment on anything when you go through it, and I assume many of us will havve a copy, here is a thread for it.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

bigbob

Re: Archery Action May - June 2011

#2 Post by bigbob » Wed May 11, 2011 12:48 pm

Dmm i have mentioned already about Ben achieving the Golden Pen Award for the best story for 2010, and John Tietzel of Tusker fame dropping a massive boar of 170kg with a huntsman longbow, but i might add that the articles on what animals actually see regarding camo, silloutte, etc and reaction time of prey animals versus arrow speed to be extremely interesting and educational. Getting to be a worthwhile mag. these days.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Thu May 12, 2011 7:20 am

Eric has really made the magazine into something classy and high-quality. I was pleased-as-punch to receive the award in the mail yesterday.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

dmm

#4 Post by dmm » Thu May 12, 2011 8:59 am

bigbob wrote:Dmm i have mentioned already about Ben achieving the Golden Pen Award for the best story for 2010, and John Tietzel of Tusker fame dropping a massive boar of 170kg with a huntsman longbow, but i might add that the articles on what animals actually see regarding camo, silloutte, etc and reaction time of prey animals versus arrow speed to be extremely interesting and educational. Getting to be a worthwhile mag. these days.
Yep. I recall your post, but couldn't find the thread, so started a new one.
Probably it should get moved into the Magazines forum.
John's story about hunting pigs in the banana plantation was a good read.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

wishsong

#5 Post by wishsong » Thu May 12, 2011 10:48 am

Nice one Ben ! Haven't opened it yet but will when I get home . Good going mate ...
I agree that the mag is getting better ... we just need Jeff to come back and restart his column !!! :D

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Thu May 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Ben Kleinig wrote:Eric has really made the magazine into something classy and high-quality. I was pleased-as-punch to receive the award in the mail yesterday.
Have to agree Ben. Although Eric and I had some disagreements many years ago I have to say he is doing a terrific job and the mag of late is becoming very informative and interesting. There is a great article by Daryl Venerables about arrow speed versus animal reaction times as I mentioned and it is a great way to illustrate the questionable ethics of many guys writing articles about taking game out to 70 metres with their sighted compounds. This article demonstrates at best it is a matter of chance that such a shot is successful. Of course our two venerable scribes in Ben and Tony always write a entertaining and often very humourous story.
razorbows.com

wayoutwest

#7 Post by wayoutwest » Sun May 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Yeah and i was surprised as hell when i seen my ugly mug in there and winning 6 broadheads.

perry

#8 Post by perry » Mon May 23, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm the fortunate Posty that picks up Archery Action from ABA house and takes it back to my depot for distribution and this past few years the pick up has gone from a light pick up of a few hundred kilo's before the upgrading of the magazine to just over the 900 kg point, my back is copping a real workout.

I'm old enough to remember fondly the old hand stapled "Australian Bowhunter" magazine, I wish I still had my copies, they got lost in moves over the years. Here's a link with a bit of history into Archery Action http://www.bowhunters.org.au/index.php? ... &Itemid=38

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Tue May 24, 2011 4:41 pm

Perry I have a repo copy of the Australian bowhunter which reports on the death at the time of Kev. Whiting, who those old timers will remember as one of the pioneers of bowhunting as we see it today.Damn Posted this before I checked your link.
razorbows.com

UPTHETOP

#10 Post by UPTHETOP » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:32 am

Ben winning that award means there's a new thunderstick or bow on the way dosnt it he he ?

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.