SSAA Bowhunting Positives

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Rock Steady

SSAA Bowhunting Positives

#1 Post by Rock Steady » Sat May 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Can anyone tell me what Positive things SSAA has done specifically to help protect or promote Bowhunting in Australia?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Michael

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: SSAA Bowhunting Positives

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 07, 2011 7:20 pm

I believe the following are a few examples.

Offered and provided full insurance cover for members of independent Bowhunting/Archery clubs and also insured individual Bowhunting/Field archery events when none of the big Bowhuinting/Archery Associations would touch them.

Provide insurance cover for a member while they are out Bowhunting regardless of whether they choose to hunt with others who are not members of the association.

Provided and payed for the defence of a Bowhunter who was charged with Animal cruelty after he shot a feral animal.

Jeff

piggy

#3 Post by piggy » Sat May 07, 2011 8:22 pm

Sounds about right Jeff, that's why I'm a member and not the ABA

Rock Steady

#4 Post by Rock Steady » Sat May 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks for the info Jeff
Offer and provide full insurance cover for members of independent Bowhunting/Archery clubs and also insure individual Bowhunting/Field archery events when none of the big Bowhuinting/Archery Associations would touch them.
I have been working on this for a few months now, not as simple as it sounds. Also things have changed a bit on that front as well, I believe it is possible for clubs to host events as long as they jump through a few hoops first for the paper work and insurance.
Provide insurance cover for a member while they are out Bowhunting regardless of whether they choose to hunt with others who are not members of the association.
I think you will find all the major bowhunting organisations now offer this type of insurance.
Provide and pay for the defence of a Bowhunter who was charged with Animal cruelty after he shot a feral animal.
Defiantly a dark day and I am glad someone stepped up, it could have ended a lot worse.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Rock Steady wrote:Quote:

I think you will find all the major bowhunting organisations now offer this type of insurance.
I guess you mean ABA and if so it's about time they did.

Jeff

perry

#6 Post by perry » Tue May 10, 2011 7:44 pm

I am pretty sure that the Insurance Arm of the SSAA or another Insurance company owned by the SSAA actually underwrites insurance for all the Archery organisations. I do stand to be corrected though.

Back in the mid to late 90's a SSAA member and enthusiastic Archer who I have a vague recollection may have been on the commitee out at Belmont at the time asked a few members of the Grange Bowmen / fellow SSAA members too conduct an Archery and Bowhunting Information day out at the SSAA complex at Belmont. We set up a few Aus Style 3D targets and demonstrated, talked , coached etc all day. From memory it was all about SSAA setting up a Field coarse in the complex, forgive my memory on the detail but the Field Coarse was put aside for one reason or another. Either way for me it marked a growing acknowledgement of other hunting sports from the SSAA too my mind

Old mate down south was indeed unjustly charged and sadly a conviction recorded against him but the support and assistance the SSAA gave him was heartening.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Rock Steady

#7 Post by Rock Steady » Tue May 10, 2011 9:26 pm

perry wrote:Old mate down south was indeed unjustly charged and sadly a conviction recorded against him but the support and assistance the SSAA gave him was heartening.
regards Jacko
Thanks Jacko, it was good to see the larger archery organisations learn from this and become involved with the more recent incident in WA, maybe you can teach old dog's new tricks :wink: .

dmm

#8 Post by dmm » Sun May 22, 2011 11:38 pm

perry wrote:I am pretty sure that the Insurance Arm of the SSAA or another Insurance company owned by the SSAA actually underwrites insurance for all the Archery organisations. I do stand to be corrected though.
I read somewhere, probably the ABA website, that their insurance is provided by Marsh P/L.
Marsh is a very large insurer, that I've seen in the energy industry. While I don't know who owns them, I would be surprised if it was the SSAA. I also would stand to be corrected.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.