The opponents of hunting and archery will be up in arms...

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Rock Steady

Re: The opponents of hunting and archery will be up in arms.

#31 Post by Rock Steady » Sat May 14, 2011 10:26 am

The assumption you've made, is that the readers of ozbow, make up another group, and that entire group is down on the ABA. That's not correct. I ,for example, am not.
I never assumed that David.
You are comparing the actions of one bowhunter (ie the person who shot the roo) as a reflection on all bowhunters, with the actions of one (or two) elected ABA officials as a reflection on the ABA.
There have been a few threads with this theme lately, I was not just referring to this one incident.
I think it's much more reasonable to take the the actions of the elected leaders of an organisation as representative of that organisation, than the actions of a individual bowhunter as representative of all bowhunters.
So if one or two GC representatives are corrupt is it OK to say the entire GC is corrupt?
Or the head of police is found to be corrupt so all police must be corrupt?
Or the Premier does something illegal for personal gain does that make all politicians bad? ( whoops bad example :D )
Nice pictures of your daughter hunting up north. What's the story behind cuddling the piglets though?
Manager asked for a couple for the pot. Fresh is best :D and if you turn the upside down and scratch their bellies they relax.
Last edited by Rock Steady on Sat May 14, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

excelpoint

#32 Post by excelpoint » Sat May 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Rock Steady wrote: As an experienced trad shooter who has helped teach others you must have experienced how when you you see someone doing something the wrong way (cock feather in) that you have to be careful you do not insult them when you point out what you believe is the correct way to do it (cock feather out).
Whats wrong with shooting cock feather in? I shoot all my bows cock feather in. :D Now I feel like I am being singled out :wink:

jindydiver

#33 Post by jindydiver » Sat May 14, 2011 1:03 pm

dmm wrote:
Jindydiver; Nice pictures of your daughter hunting up north. What's the story behind cuddling the piglets though?
That is rock steady's daughter.
Rock Steady wrote:
The assumption you've made, is that the readers of ozbow, make up another group, and that entire group is down on the ABA. That's not correct. I ,for example, am not.
I never assumed that Jindy.
I never said any such thing, you need to re-read the posts and edit your post
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

dmm

#34 Post by dmm » Sat May 14, 2011 1:30 pm

excelpoint wrote:
Rock Steady wrote: As an experienced trad shooter who has helped teach others you must have experienced how when you you see someone doing something the wrong way (cock feather in) that you have to be careful you do not insult them when you point out what you believe is the correct way to do it (cock feather out).
Whats wrong with shooting cock feather in? I shoot all my bows cock feather in. :D Now I feel like I am being singled out :wink:
Not just you Matt, I now shoot cock feather down with my Beiter rest.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

dmm

#35 Post by dmm » Sat May 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Rock Steady wrote:
I never assumed that Jindy.
You are comparing the actions of one bowhunter (ie the person who shot the roo) as a reflection on all bowhunters, with the actions of one (or two) elected ABA officials as a reflection on the ABA.
There have been a few threads with this theme lately, I was not just referring to this one incident.
I think it's much more reasonable to take the the actions of the elected leaders of an organisation as representative of that organisation, than the actions of a individual bowhunter as representative of all bowhunters.
So if one or two GC representatives are corrupt is it OK to say the entire GC is corrupt?
Or the head of police is found to be corrupt so all police must be corrupt?
Or the Premier does something illegal for personal gain does that make all politicians bad? ( whoops bad example :D )
Jindydiver; Nice pictures of your daughter hunting up north. What's the story behind cuddling the piglets though?
Manager asked for a couple for the pot. Fresh is best :D and if you turn the upside down and scratch their bellies they relax.
The quotes are mine, not Jindydiver's. And I now know it's your daughter not his.

I don't know what GC is. But on your other examples, sure, if the head of police was known to be corrupt, and still the head of police, I think I would call that police force 'corrupt'. Maybe not every member, but enough that you wouldn't trust them. Same goes with politicians, Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi in Italy for example. Of course innocent until proven guilty, and I don't think that's happened yet.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#36 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Rock Steady wrote:I never named you or anyone else personally Jeff but if you read back through a few of this years threads you can see where members do exactly what I described.

Can you honestly say you haven't seen it?
Yes I have seen where people have complained about how ABA is run and I simply took it that people were not impressed with the ABA hierarchy and the way they seem to do things; after all they are the ones that run the association.
Rock Steady wrote:Fair enough, maybe we should start a thread on what things we would like to see changed within ABA to make it into an organisation that bowhunter's would happily join. At this stage there is no other organisation's offering anything directly for bowhunter's so why can't we try and fix the one we have?
Well mate there in lies the problem. I don't know if you hold any office in ABA or not but if you don't then I say you have no say in how the association operates. Even though it always seems to be denied, the ordinary ABA member has no possible way of changing things IMO. Only high up executive memebers have any clout and the way ABA has always operated only members who tow the party line as it were will get in those positions so all the talk about change equates to naught IMO. I haven't seen or heard anything in recent times that would change my opinion regarding this. As an aside, I have in the past had numerous pages of Achery Action devoted to personally attacking me because of my opinions but I still hold by them as no one has shown me any evidence whatsoever that would make me change them. Actually a few recent events have only gone to reinforce my views on the matter.
Rock Steady wrote:Lastly, it is a beautiful Saturday morning, what the hell are we all doing inside on the computer?
Well earlier I was just about to go out and help out the brother in-law and now I'm baby sitting the grandkids. :D

Have a good weekend mate.

Jeff

twisted limb

#37 Post by twisted limb » Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am

Just heard an interview on ABC central west radio with Belinda Green from wires about the arrow shot roo in Bathurst she said that it was not connected with legitimate bowhunters and her only concern was the welfare of the animal and helping the police find the idiot behind the bow.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#38 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed May 18, 2011 10:41 am

Well that is great to hear of that being said in public media!!! :D

Jeff

looseplucker

#39 Post by looseplucker » Wed May 18, 2011 11:39 am

See this as well - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/s ... 6057833717

Significantly they have said clearly it was not a hunting arrow, but a target one.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Nephew

#40 Post by Nephew » Wed May 18, 2011 5:12 pm

How does one leave a comment there? They have a box for it, but no "Submit" button.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#41 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed May 18, 2011 5:20 pm

That is also good to see in print John. There are some pretty stupid comments left by people though. :roll:

Jeff

looseplucker

#42 Post by looseplucker » Wed May 18, 2011 5:35 pm

Craig, start typing in the box and the rest should just drop down - if not your java or other script may be not up to date.

Yes, some silly comments Jeff, but a lot of sensible ones too.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

dmm

#43 Post by dmm » Wed May 18, 2011 8:48 pm

I don't think this is the same story.
Here is the "distictive arrow from the first story"
Fletch looks like some sort of camo with a green nock.

Here is the picture of the the second unfortunate roo, with two arrows, yellow fletches (longish for target arrows) and red nocks.

Unfortunately I think this is a second incident.
David
--

jindydiver

#44 Post by jindydiver » Wed May 18, 2011 8:59 pm

There were 2 this week, one in Bathurst and one near Wyangala :(
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

woodie

#45 Post by woodie » Thu May 19, 2011 6:07 pm

Do people not know what type of stress a cow, pig or sheep go through at an abbatoir? I think alot, but that is alright is it? Some people are not real smart.
I do not like seeing natives with arrows in them and think that the idiets should be lock up so they don't suff it up for those of us that do the right thing.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

dmm

#46 Post by dmm » Sun May 22, 2011 7:25 pm

Woodie, I think you'd find the people complaining the loudest about hunting, would be happy to start in on the meat industry next. Many of them probably are vegetarian, or would be after a trip to an abattoir.

I believe the general public doesn't think about where meat comes from. I've heard it said city children don't associate milk with cows. I think if you did a newspaper article on following a calf from birth to death in an abattoir you'd also get calls for the practice of farming to be banned.
David
--

Sinners121

#47 Post by Sinners121 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:36 pm

keep in mind it is not needed for the entire public to be against hunting just a small very loud group to be!! and considering organisations such as RSPCA which most people would assume to have some credibility support the complete destruction of hunting, incidents such as these can cause a huge problem. however aslong as there bowhunting community is out there educating, encouraging and being loud about it incidents such as these are a lot less likely to have an impact! keep in mind people that do not like bowhunting or other forms of hunting like to use minority incidents to portray all hunters. Also keep in mind australia has a tendency not to punish the wrong-doers but to ban!!

longbowinfected

#48 Post by longbowinfected » Thu May 03, 2012 11:15 am

Just because a fletch has camo on it does not mean it is a hunters.
The second arrow with long fletches and the colour is similar to those cheapo $8 arrows sold at a sports store. I have seen new target archers buying these till they realise or are told what thin rubbish they are.
My bet is a person who is an uninformed, untrained beginner, especially the second one. Both idiots. Pity they did not write their name or initials on the arrows as most target archers do....they just were not silly enough and extremely unlikely to be a target archer belonging to a target club. Just as unlikely to be a trained hunter either and extremely unlikely to be a trad shooter off the wooden bow shelf.

There is a target club up the road at Bathurst and the local police call in regularly. A few of them used to be archers, actually members of that club. Whenever I have camped there overnight at weekend shoots they pop in to say hello [checking us out/then recognise us] then have a cuppa and a chat, so I suspect that is why that one has not gone totally pear shaped as is usually the case.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Siege

#49 Post by Siege » Fri May 04, 2012 2:28 am

woodie wrote:Do people not know what type of stress a cow, pig or sheep go through at an abbatoir? I think alot, but that is alright is it? Some people are not real smart.
I do not like seeing natives with arrows in them and think that the idiets should be lock up so they don't suff it up for those of us that do the right thing.
woodie
I have a friend that works in a abbatoir and it isn't as bad as people think in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. It's one bolt to the head and that is it, no pain or suffering for the animal at all. They are brought into a shed in many ways like a milking shed, I don't think the animals would feel any different to normal life, it is really the most humane ways to supply stores with meat.

I think it gets a worse name though as people often find it hard at first until they can stomach it. There are many jobs like that though, wife was once a vet nurse and I couldn't stand in the room during operations (only some)