Sambar invasion

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

RobHunter

Sambar invasion

#1 Post by RobHunter » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:44 pm

Hi all

My brother lives in Upper Beaconsfield, Vic. For the last few months, he has been seeing at least one sambar (dead or alive) a fortnight.
Always within 50 metres of roads, so no hunting is possible lol. I'm sure someone can track where they are originating, hopefully in a state forest.

Thought it was worth mentioning

Rgds Rob

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Sambar invasion

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:49 am

There must be some good numbers in the area then.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:26 pm

"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:14 am

Deer seem to be spreading out all over the country. We've seen Chital and Rusa knocked on the road up in North Queensland.

Jeff

matt61

#5 Post by matt61 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:32 am

I live in Melbourne and the biggest thing that's help the spread of Sambar deer around here my opinion has been the rural urban spread of all the people that have bought 5,10,15 and 20 acres that were originally large properties that the local lads would get on and harvest the deer keeping the numbers in check to an extent. Which now can no longer happen.

Most of the cityiets that move to these little properties are oblivious that the deer are there until one of them does a tap dance on the bonnet of their Beemer or Merc in the early morning when their on the way
down to the local train station to ride into their Melbourne city centre office job.

Also we have wildlife corridors built everywhere which all the feral's use as well to spread to new area's

Combine the above with Covid lockdowns and the deer have had nearly three years of breeding and spreading unmolested.

I go on a large property about 70 klm's from the edge of Melbourne which we spotlight on and this past year, it's been amazing how many baby Sambar we have been seeing.
Never see mum Sambar though.
Matt

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:54 am

Yeah Matt it doesn't take long for them to breed up and spread out to other areas.

Jeff