Osage Orange seeds

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

Osage Orange seeds

#1 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi Guys, I have removed the seeds from some fruit an thought it might be a good idea to get members to have a go at planting some for future generations. It would also be good to document where you plant them, perhaps in a thread dedicated to the subject so they can be found in 20-30-40-years or so. Let me know if you want some and have a think about where you could plant them that is legal etc.
Perhaps archery clubs would be a start, private property. I know of one member that planted a hedgerow 2 years ago and it is already approaching 6' high.
Steve

Guy Layton

Re: Osage Orange seeds

#2 Post by Guy Layton » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Steve,

That sound like a great idea mate...! :D I will grab a seed or two and give it a go...! :mrgreen:

Cheers Guy..
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Intersting Steve but I don't have anywhere to plant them.

Jeff

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Bill » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Steve, PM sent thanks...........Bill

dawallace45

#5 Post by dawallace45 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Steve Count me in , been trying to get some seeds for some time

David

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Send me your details and I will get them off in the next week once they dry.

David
I saw your post in another thread and it gave me the idea :D .

Jeff

I dont have anywhere either Jeff, thats why I am sending them around the country. I know Steven Jawerth needs a new hedgerow to keep the sheep in and Brumbies country could use some in Yass as it gets windy there :) . Steve

Antonio

#7 Post by Antonio » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Like the Parable of the Mustard Seed.
I used to work as a nursery hand we planted mainly citrus.I forgotten how .I suppose i could look it up on the web .but I imagine planting the seeds in a seedling pot waiting till they grow a bit then transferring them to single pots till they are about a meter high and then planting them out there .

this is a good incentive If youre planing to live a long life .then you can tell generations ahead where you got youre wood from . 8) :)

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Bill » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Steve, message received thanks, please don't forget you details..........Bill

muntries

#9 Post by muntries » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:32 pm

I'd be interested trying to grow these and I might know some places to plant them too around Ballarat.

I also heard that there were a few Osage hedges grown in south western vic in dairy country but not sure exactly :?

Also plenty of info about growing them from seeds on the web. Some suggest cold treatment prior to sowing and some suggest soaking in warm water for a few days before growing :shock: so try both and see what works I suppose!!

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

Mike-dy

#10 Post by Mike-dy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:19 am

I could probably get away with planting one or two hundred here, don't no how well they'd grow but it would be worth trying.
Cheers,
Mike

dawallace45

#11 Post by dawallace45 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 am

I've got 5 acres here and want to fill any open spaces up with trees of different sorts so space isn't a problem for me either

David

looseplucker

#12 Post by looseplucker » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:53 am

Steve

I have some spots where these could be planted.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Brumbies Country

#13 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:07 pm

longbow steve wrote:Send me your details and I will get them off in the next week once they dry.

David
I saw your post in another thread and it gave me the idea :D .

Jeff

I dont have anywhere either Jeff, thats why I am sending them around the country. I know Steven Jawerth needs a new hedgerow to keep the sheep in and Brumbies country could use some in Yass as it gets windy there :) . Steve
Thanks Steve

Right on both counts. It gets windy here and I could use some :lol: . Would have to plant them out of reach of Dorper sheep who have a uniquely South African predisposition to push themselves where no other sheep (or man) would go, but there are places on the 30 acres that are inaccesssable even to them.

Simon

longbow steve

#14 Post by longbow steve » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi Simon, I think the Dorper sheep will meet their match in an Osage Hedge :D .

Need some mailing address' , send me a PM. Steve

roscoe

#15 Post by roscoe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:03 pm

Found this on the net, could be usefull... Roscoe
Attachments
248osage.pdf
(301.68 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Steven J

#16 Post by Steven J » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:20 pm

Steve,

As you say, I could do with a new hedge row :D . I would be happy to plant 1000's if I could get something to grow. The problem is in maintaining and achieving a good growth rate so they are worth something in the future.

I have some seed but had a very poor germination and from the 80 trees I started only one is surviving in the ground. The drought (which seems to be broken in Feb this year) really stopped much surviving in the last 5 years. Maybe this year is the time to give some more a chance.

Apparently there are heaps of trees growing in the local area down by the Bega river. I don't know how good they are for bow building though.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

longbow steve

#17 Post by longbow steve » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:51 pm

That was interesting Roscoe, I am also interested in who brought the Osage seeds to Australia. I imagine it was Americans who came out for the Goldrush or came to settle on the land? I will do some research.
Steven I will send you some seeds if you want some, Graeme has his Hedgerow established but lives in more favourable conditions. You should suss out the Osage by the river, I am sure you could get some bow worthy timber out of it, even if it is a 50" plains Indian bow? Steve

muntries

#18 Post by muntries » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:23 pm

Steve, from what I've read the Osage has a seed dormancy that needs breaking. You could try a number of ways of breaking that. One is cold stratification (simulate frosty situation), or use giberelic acid (its a hormone that helps improve germ of species with dormancy issues), fermentation (allow it to ferment in its pulp and simulates being put through the gut of an animal. It may be that the seed was collected while it was on the tree rather than being allowed to fall off the tree (seen this mentioned a few times). Failing all this maybe try taking cuttings and striking those...

As for survival: plant in the wetter parts of the month in SE Aus (wet Autumn or wet spring) and guard from those pesky wabbits. Could use wate crystals to help during the summer or water them a little (if possible...).

As for poor form: form prune the lower branches to encourage strong straight growth and good deep soil may also help and selecting seed from trees with existing good form.

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

Steven J

#19 Post by Steven J » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:52 pm

Simon,

Your advice is sound. With an Honours Agriculture Degree behind me you would think that I would be able to grow a couple of plants :oops: :oops: I think my problem is that there are no short cuts in gardening and the project probably requires a greater share of my attention than I result in giving to it.

I have no idea at what stage the fruit was picked as it was sent to me by a friend. I did however keep it in the fridge for 4 weeks then allowed it to rot to a messy pulp before collecting the seeds. I even scarified the seed coat lightly between sheets of sand paper. Maybe a bit of determination would not go astray here. I'll try again in the spring time with the remaining seeds.

Cuttings are a good idea. Now is a good time to hunt down a tree, ready for cuttings before bud burst.

I have a whole bunch of oak trees growing in the vege garden at the moment. I started them there because it is the only place that gets the attention needed. I was thinking of running a poly line in the paddock and inserting a dripper before I plant these out. I might just leave some space for the Osage too.

Wabbits - don't have too many of those :(

Steve

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Steven J

#20 Post by Steven J » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Thanks for the link Rosco. It is a good resource to save for later.

Steve

roscoe

#21 Post by roscoe » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:02 am

Hey no worries, I have an interest in growing osage myself. I have a good spot for them on my block, red soil, irrigatation etc. I do have someone collecting some seeds for me in victoria when they get back from their holidays and of course when the trees fruit. Thanks for the comments above i think its a good idea to collect fruit that has matured & fallen to the ground and selected from straight healthy trees. There was this bloke once i was talking to and he could only germinate this seed by dropping them into boiling water first, cant remember what tree species it was. I also heard that you can feed seeds to your chooks and that works. I havent tried any of these and cant verify if that would work, but its all interesting anyway and worth ago....Roscoe

longbow steve

#22 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:21 am

These seeds came from fruit off the ground, from quality trees and the fruit was just on the turn. I hadnt considered these things however :) .
50 Seeds each in the mail today for those that have sent their address, I have about 200 seeds remaining for any others that want to try to grow some. Steve

looseplucker

#23 Post by looseplucker » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Steve

PM sent

looseplucker

#24 Post by looseplucker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:23 pm

roscoe

#25 Post by roscoe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks looseplucker, i have just got the seeds from steve (thanks steve) and i will let everyone know how i go with germinating them etc.... roscoe

looseplucker

#26 Post by looseplucker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:35 pm

No worries Roscoe. I'm going try and get some started indoors for transplanting in spring.

Steve J just been reading 'The Bent Stick' and there is a reference to Osage growing by creeks and rivers to generally be growing pretty straight - certainly straighter than further away from the water. So maybe the ones on the river would be pretty good.

Thanks for the seeds Steve. I've sorted out a couple of places to plant. One is down at Towamba on the property of a transplanted American (who's son shoots my first shooter that I made). Billb has kindly agreed to take some seedlings and I'll plant a few at my place and the rest in a couple of other spots. All will be gps referenced.

dawallace45

#27 Post by dawallace45 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:20 am

Steve
Thanks , just got home last night and the seeds were waiting for me

David

roscoe

#28 Post by roscoe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:21 am

Well They cant say bowhunters are not doing there part for carbon reduction, hell we might even claim carbon credits. That will make a good name for a pet selfbow "carbon credit" :D ...Roscoe

looseplucker

#29 Post by looseplucker » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:13 pm

The Greenoids will complain we're translocating a feral species for our own benefit :twisted:

I started off about 30 seeds on the weekend in seed starter. Now is the time to be doing it according the horticulturalist I spoke to on the weekend ready for transplanting in spring. I am going to try to keep a diary etc

dawallace45

#30 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:36 pm

My seedlings are now about 2" high , just transplanted them into single pots today , 23 of them come up , looking good so far

David