Osage Orange seeds

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

jcm

Re: Osage Orange seeds

#31 Post by jcm » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Great idea Steve.
Just a thought once established the planters can apply for Carbon Credits.
John

Brumbies Country

#32 Post by Brumbies Country » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:42 pm

I've now got 6 doing well in pots and a number of seeds planted in the corner of a paddock where we took out an old pine earlier in the year. The recent weather, predominantly wet, is great for this project.

I've been a bit too busy to think about carbon credits John, but in retrospect it sounds like a good idea.

Simon

looseplucker

#33 Post by looseplucker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:48 am

None of mine took - how did you do it?

I have plenty left and I harvested some seed pods from that stand up in the North of Canberra.

What HAS worked is taking some cuttings from the living trees and getting the cuttings going.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Brumbies Country

#34 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:58 am

I didn't do anything special. I planted them at 3/4" depth in pots about 6" deep and filled with potting mix. They've been watered around every three days on average. They've taken about a month to come up and I must admit to beginning to wonder. Steve told me that they grow well close to creek beds, so maybe plenty of water is the go. I think the elevating temperatures round here have likely helped.

Simon

dawallace45

#35 Post by dawallace45 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:37 pm

I just followed the instructions that were in the links you posted John , they are doing well , did take some time to germinate though

David

KellyG

#36 Post by KellyG » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Osage in the downunder that will be something. As far as I know the stuff will grow straightest if fighting for sun. I have seen plenty of it and most of the straightest is in hedge rows or mixed with other trees fighting for sun. I dont know about the water I have seen it in the middle of pastures on a hill by itself. But anytime it is like that it is spread out with as many limbs as it can get. Heck once I get back in the states, and it is legal for me to send you seeds let me know. I will be back in kansas in about a year and to say there is hedge in Kansas would be to say there are gum trees downunder. good luck
hedge down under who would have thought it. :lol:

dawallace45

#37 Post by dawallace45 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:16 pm

Sending seeds into Australia is a good way to get on the bad side of Australian customs , they just won't let them through , big trouble

Mate in Kansas wanted to send me some a few years back but when he checked it out found he could get into lots of trouble

David

KellyG

#38 Post by KellyG » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks I guess I want. I would like to visit someday so getting on the bad side of the law before I ever get a chance to get there my not be a good start. Sorry. What about the staves? I have been reading some of the threads and some things I take for granted is see I shouldn't.

dawallace45

#39 Post by dawallace45 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:03 am

I know some of the guys here get staves sent from the US but when the mate looked into sending me some staves he was told no , not under any circumstance , but there must be some way to satisfy customs of the other fellows wouldn't be getting their staves but you would have to talk to them , not sure who they were now as I mainly make laminated bows and only play around with selfbows now and then
David

dawallace45

#40 Post by dawallace45 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Just wanted to find out how all the Osage orange plants are going ? my first lot that germinated died off during the wet last year but the seeds that hadn't germinated come up and I've been nurcing them and most of them are planted out and about 2 ft to about 2 1/2 ft high , some I'm keeping in the pots to take with me and plant out when I move

David

Brumbies Country

#41 Post by Brumbies Country » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:52 am

Mine are still growing in pots and about two feet high. I was going to plant some of them in the Spring, but didn't because I was worried about drying conditions, but am now kicking myself because we have had rain pretty often this Summer. Your comments re too much water are interesting because Longbow Steve felt that they might best grow clode to a creek bed. I was thinking of doing that too, although we've had a fair bit of creek flooding and I may have lost them through that. Decisions, decisions!!

dawallace45

#42 Post by dawallace45 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:18 am

I think there is a big difference between growing beside a river and growing in the river which was pretty much the conditions that prevailed last year during the wet , I lost a lot more than just the Osage Orange trees , we had about two and a half metres in a few months , the ground was saturated

David

texx

#43 Post by texx » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:21 pm

if there is a need for more seeds i can get ship loads when the time is right to harvest them , there is a fair sized osage tree that i was going to cut down last winter but never got around to doing it and it is on my must do list for the coming winter , it is full of fruit at the moment , but we have noticed there are no bee's around this year ????? few local's are blaming cotton spray for that .

johno
always seems to happen when its least expected most