New workshop

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Gringa Bows

Re: New workshop

#31 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:10 am

Looks very nice Steve,i liked the scaffolding too :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#32 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 pm

It's coming along very nicely indeed. What's the little room on the end; one of those little rooms or does it have some other use? :D

Jeff

Steven J

#33 Post by Steven J » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks Guys. You probably all think I am a bit crazy!

Jeff the little room on the end is going to be a toilet. The existing septic tank is only about 8-10m behind, and the house 50-60m away. I did not want to get stuck into a job only to hear the call of nature and have to wander up to the house. I would then arrive, realise how hard Kylie is working looking after the kids, pegging out the washing and cooking a lovely meal. Then I would start to feel pangs of denied responsibility and have a rotten afternoon. The solution - build my own toilet and carry on oblivious to the chaos :wink: Kylie is sitting next to me and not finding this very funny. She knows how true it really is :(

Although it looks a bit stuck on the end of the little deck, the toilet should take its place less conspicuously when the other roof goes on.

Yeh, about that other roof. I have another set of trusses made and footings in the ground ready to extend the roof another 7m. This roof will drop down about 300mm and hang under the existing roof to make a double carport/outdoor work space. Hope to get this up soon, however the ground is so wet I don't want to get any help bogged again.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Steven J

#34 Post by Steven J » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Another photo of the floor boards I have put down. The are much rougher than they look in the tiny photo, but they make a serviceable floor and cost me no more than particle board. If the boards were too good I would be worried about damaging it, particularly when William (nearly 2) goes crazy with the 'bap bap' (hammer) :)

The boards are a whopping 200mm wide Blackbutt. Being so wide they went down quicker than smaller boards would, however I still spent many weeks finding the time to get it done.

Just for fun (well I though so when I was starting) I nailed it all by hand. Towards the end I was getting down to 4 hits after setting the nail.

Steve
Attachments
Floor boards down (s).JPG
Floor boards down (s).JPG (57.19 KiB) Viewed 1930 times

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#35 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:47 pm

I thought since it had a window it was probably a toilet but I wondered about the septic system but you cleared that up. Once again, it sure is a going to be a great workshop. :D

Jeff

UPTHETOP

#36 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:28 am

Its looking great Steve the day will come when your on the porch in the rocking chair and beer in hand.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Steven J

#37 Post by Steven J » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:26 am

Here are a couple of updates showing the other half of the workshop. I know you all think it is a bit excessive... maybe your right.

First picture shows the roof framing going up. I had a mate come over with his mini excavator to lift them up. Much cheaper than the crane I used for the workshop half. I still owe him money but he refuses to give me the bill :oops: I am not really into mates rates. If someone is your mate then you should look after them properly. I guess I do his horses feet for nothing, but the balance is in his favour.

Second picture shows the roof on. I have finished the little deck in front of the sliding doors also but it does not show well on the photos taken.

Third picture is a load of rock that I will use to build a wall between the concrete stumps that the carport poles sit on. When I have the wall up to the height of the stumps then I can fill the area with soil to give a level area for parking and working on. The rock came at minimal cost. There is a major pipeline being installed in our area. During the hot weather, I was taking the workers boxes of ice blocks when ever I went in and out of town. No reason than because it was hot and they have actually done a really good job. Anyway the hit quite a bit of rock. The full amount was actually claimed by someone else but because they knew me I was able to get dibs on a load for a carton of beer. To get a load like this from a quarry, it would have had to travel nearly 100km and therefore have been very expensive.

Steve
Attachments
A load of rock
A load of rock
A load of rock.JPG (174.28 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Carport roof is on
Carport roof is on
Carport roof is on.JPG (178.89 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Carport going up.JPG
Carport going up.JPG (195.99 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

looseplucker

#38 Post by looseplucker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:33 am

A mate of mine in North Carolina put a 'bowl' (we call it a one man trough) in his workshop, flushes and everything. His wife was appalled. My wife was appalled. We hung around down there me fixing arrows, him rebuilding a carbie for one of his vintage vehicles - having a beer, needing a piddle - very convenient, nothing not to like.

I think it is just called Standing Up Envy.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Nephew

#39 Post by Nephew » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:34 am

Steve, this is just fantastic, mate! Good on you!

From the description you give of your mates "bowl" , L.P., every home should have one I reckon! :D
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

jcm

#40 Post by jcm » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 pm

A wonderful "Backyard Shed"
You are a marvel
Regards

John

TomMcDonald

#41 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Wow a very enviable project indeed.
You won't know yourself once it's up and running!
Congratulations, you're living the dream of many, realised by few. Keep it up 8)
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

TomMcDonald

#42 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm

John,
I like the bowl. I will strive to have one in the future.
Tom

Dryfired

#43 Post by Dryfired » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:27 pm

That is very impressive. I dream of building myself a house just like that, with such beautiful timbers!

Steven J

#44 Post by Steven J » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. It is lovely but has taken SOOOO much effort and energy.

I think I will stick with a standard toilet. It is not as cool, but you can't take a dump in a trough.

Steve

looseplucker

#45 Post by looseplucker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Steven J wrote: I think I will stick with a standard toilet. It is not as cool, but you can't take a dump in a trough.

Steve
When I worked as a maintenance bloke for Maccas - Oh Yes You Could - and Oh Yes They Did.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Nephew

#46 Post by Nephew » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:36 pm

I was about to say myself " Gee Steve, it's been a while since you've use a public toilet, hasn't it mate?" :lol:

Gringa Bows

#47 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Great looking work area mate :wink:

TomMcDonald

#48 Post by TomMcDonald » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:39 pm

SICKOS!! :? :?
Tom

Nephew

#49 Post by Nephew » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:11 pm

tomalophicon wrote:SICKOS!! :? :?
OI! I never said I DID it, just FOUND it!! Poor old John had to CLEAN IT!! :shock:

I agree that those that would do such a thing are indeed... SICKOS!!... But that aint me, Tom! :)

jonow

#50 Post by jonow » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:16 pm

Steven J wrote:Thanks for the comments guys. It is lovely but has taken SOOOO much effort and energy.

I think I will stick with a standard toilet. It is not as cool, but you can't take a dump in a trough.

Steve
I once worked in a shed where they had on the wall a fold down toilet in the kitchen, I wasn't a fan of the location but it was compact!
From memory it was scored from an old passenger train. different was one word that came to mind.
"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them" Psalm 127

Xtfreak

#51 Post by Xtfreak » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:03 am

Awesome shed.
You do good work for sure...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

rodlonq

#52 Post by rodlonq » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:16 pm

The shed is looking great Steve. Bet you are looking forward to setting all your tools up.

Cheers, Rod

excelpoint

#53 Post by excelpoint » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:05 pm

That looks real good Steve. Well done.

muntries

#54 Post by muntries » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Steve,

looking fab and heaps of space to move about. Apart from the over hang it reminds me of my Dad's shed, which was so well built that he took it with him when he moved house and re-assembled it.

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

Steven J

#55 Post by Steven J » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:26 pm

Rod, Things are a bit disorganised at the moment, but school holidays are coming up and I may get some time amongst other jobs to get things a bit more ordered.

Simon, I don't think I will ever move it, I'll just pay a builder to make another one for me.

Steve