Archery Australia Nationals.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Archery Australia Nationals.

#1 Post by GrahameA » Wed May 19, 2010 8:17 pm

Evening All.

Been busy at the Archery Australia Nationals. For those who are interested the scores are available at: http://sites.google.com/site/sqasnationals/home

The Longbower's shot field on Monday and Tuesday and Target today and tomorrow.

Tomorrow I am going to try and get some live streaming of the event on the web - purely a proof-of-concept exercise.

If it gets up I will post a link here some keep an eye out for it. The longbowers are shooting on target 2, 3, 4 and the camera will be close to them so you should get vision of them in action.

For those who are interested I will try and post score update after every 18 arrows. and they will be on the SQAS Nationals results site.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Chase N. Nocks

Re: Archery Australia Nationals.

#2 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed May 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Looking forward to this thankyou Grahame..

Any word on Daryl Reeks' choice of longbow is yet?
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Thu May 20, 2010 6:50 am

Hi Troy.

No.

But here is some video of the event and you can see the Longbowers in action. Bonus marks if you can pick Monsieur Girard.

http://sites.google.com/site/sqasnationals/home
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

UPTHETOP

#4 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu May 20, 2010 8:17 am

Grahame some great distances there alright.
Do they only put in the top three places in Longbow or is that's all that's shooting in the division.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Thu May 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Top three place in each age group, Open, Masters, Veterans.

Daryl and Steve fought it the death with Steve just winning.

I had streaming Video running from mid-morning till mid afternoon and It was on the Longbowers and Barebowers all the time. :mrgreen:
Grahame.

jcm

#6 Post by jcm » Thu May 20, 2010 6:57 pm

The robust blue shirted left handed archer.(KG )
Congratulations to Steve
Will try to catch up.
Regards
John

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Fri May 21, 2010 5:20 am

Morning All.

John wins the prize.

For those who missed it I was streaming live video to the web yesterday of the event and the Longbowers had pride-of-place,

People could ask Ian Stokes how it felt to get a phone call from your wife and then turning to the camera and waving to her on-line.

Those who watched would have seen me in my new role as interviewer during the lunch break and interviewing amongst others Darryl Reeks.
Grahame.

Chase N. Nocks

#8 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri May 21, 2010 5:45 am

Great effort Grahame, thank you. Was one of the interview questions to Darryl about equipment by any chance.

Are these held every year? It looked like a lot of fun and love to give it a go.

Your efforts are just the type of promotion the sport needs.

Missed most of it as working.. :cry: :cry:
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Brumbies Country

#9 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri May 21, 2010 4:25 pm

I'd like to applaud the achievement of a couple of our regulars at the AA Nationals. In the open mens longbow Darryl Reeks pipped Longbow Steve, but Steve got his own back in the target heading off Darryl and according to my reckoning setting a new open men's longbow target total and well as smashing the previous 30m record. Longbow infected (Kevin Girard) came second in the Masters longbow field and 3rd in the target. Clout scores aren't up yet.

For those interested in barebow recurve, the two Micks, Turner and Fisher, shot both their field rounds over 300, which are really good scores. Mick Turner shot an amazing 325 first day. Both are off to the upcoming World Field Championships and those sort of scores will stand them in good stead.

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Fri May 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Afternoon All.
Chase N. Nocks wrote:Great effort Grahame, thank you. Was one of the interview questions to Darryl about equipment by any chance.

Are these held every year? It looked like a lot of fun and love to give it a go.

I was a little stressed and forgot to ask Darryl about his bow, At the moment, "Yes". However, no one has put their hand up to run next years so there is a real possibility that that may have been the last. This year was the year - just down the road., :D

I don't know if my efforts' are what the sport needs however it did prove that is possible to telecast the event and do things like interviews etc. If I was to do it again I would be far more prepared and run two cameras with a split scree and possibly a dedicated commentary team.. I did the interviews as a spur of the moment thing to fill what otherwise would have been a boring lunch break. Why were you not watching on-line at work? Others were.

Hi Simon.

I was out at the Clout early this morning - it was damp and coolish. They will have finished the Clout by now and I will upload the scores when I get them.
Grahame.

Brumbies Country

#11 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri May 21, 2010 5:21 pm

GrahameA wrote:Afternoon All.
Chase N. Nocks wrote:Great effort Grahame, thank you. Was one of the interview questions to Darryl about equipment by any chance.

Hi Simon.

I was out at the Clout early this morning - it was damp and coolish. They will have finished the Clout by now and I will upload the scores when I get them.
Gee Grahame, you are a marvel. I saw the scores going up extremely efficiently but missed all the visual stuff that Chase refers to and which you seem to have directed/compared. Magnificent effort on your part. Not sure AA are always doing all the right things but it looks like you have done your darndest to ensure it was a memorable event.

Simon

GrahameA

#12 Post by GrahameA » Fri May 21, 2010 6:36 pm

Grahame.

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Sat May 22, 2010 8:04 am

Good Morning Simon.
Brumbies Country wrote:Gee Grahame, you are a marvel. I saw the scores going up extremely efficiently but missed all the visual stuff that Chase refers to and which you seem to have directed/compared. Magnificent effort on your part. Not sure AA are always doing all the right things but it looks like you have done your darndest to ensure it was a memorable event.
Simon
I would think of it this way. The scores etc. were my job - I volunteered to do it (partly motivated by how bad it has been in the past). The Streaming video was an opportunity not to go past. And what do you do with hour when nothing is happening as everyone is having lunch - well let's try some interviews.

In essence - the stuff that was my responsibility for the Nationals was done to the best of my ability and the resources I had available. What people see is a reflection of me and that is what you are judged on. Some people have been whining and complaining about Archery on TV for some time - they never do anything though. That exercise was a proof-of-concept, we can stream live video to the world, it is only a matter of resources. To take it the next step requires a business model. As far as the scores go - we could do it better and if there is a next time we will. For the Recurve Final the scores were on the web before many of the Archers has signed and handed in their scorecards to the Officials. I held back on the Teams results and couple of other scores for several hours so as people would have to wait for the presentations,

The on-line registration system went like clockwork and the Treasurer loved it. The direct deposit meant no chasing of monies and much easier to reconcile the accounts especially when you get lots of cheques - not forgetting registration forms that have bits missing.

For me the only downside was AA and its' recent silly Photography Policy and if they want to be silly I for one am not willing to play their silly games. I tend to shoot a few photos at events and use them to promote things - their loss.

The feedback is that we did a good job to the best of our ability and the participants were happy. After all that I do not want to hear the word "Nationals" for some time.
Grahame.

longbowinfected

#14 Post by longbowinfected » Sat May 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Thank you SQAS.
Thank you Mount Petrie folk.
Thank you Grange folk.
Special thanks to that irrepressible ambassador of all things trad, Grahame Amy.
Very easy to get signed in, very easy to get set up and get info.

Best moment: watching a nameless wag archer trying to shoo the nine foot python from the rafters of the gents lav towards the ladies lav. Personally for me I was chuffed to shoot the whole event except for the first two distances the first day of target using my bamboo arrows. Not my best scores but I was pretty happy. Next best moment telling a Queenslander abouthaving to deal with pulling up our camp in the pouring rain on Friday morning at 5:30 am.....caring comment from the opposition was...."amazing what you can train a cloud to do." by the way, what is this rubbish about "perfect [day] the next"?

Well done Steve, Darryl, Ian, Andy, Reggie & Sandy for showing us mere mortals the way to go. Great to meet and shoot with Graham, Phillip, Brian and Sam.

Great shoot, good value. The ground crew and support functions were magnificent as were all the helpers, volunteers and the facilities.

I went out in sympaty for Grahame [wrt taking pix even though it was ok for competitors]. The only picures I took were of termites mounds and arboreal nests.

Mayhaps Monsieur le directeur some shorts on master class "how to " for the deadly lunch period. By the way, why weren't the cameras rolling when we were nailing it at 30 metres?

Well done Grahame.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

fieldpoint

#15 Post by fieldpoint » Sat May 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi Kevin,

It was good to meet you and your southern mates. Glad you liked the place.
By the way,,, went to shoot this afternoon and there was a few clouds in the sky with hardly a breath of wind.

Brian

longbowinfected

#16 Post by longbowinfected » Sat May 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks mate.
Great to meet you, Grahame, Philip, Darryl and to see Sam so son after the World Masters in Sydney. The Qld longbowers et alia were great hosts.
We all had a top trip.
Three out of our camp complement of five had their first Nationals and all of us our first SQAS experience. Friday night at a diner on the road weall had a debrief / chat and we were al tired and very happy.
Perhaps if a full Nationals canot be organised we ought to think of running a Longbow Nationals through AA. I would hate to see all the momentum gained over the last three years frittered away.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#17 Post by GrahameA » Sun May 23, 2010 7:15 am

Hi Kevin.
longbowinfected wrote:Perhaps if a full Nationals canot be organised we ought to think of running a Longbow Nationals through AA. I would hate to see all the momentum gained over the last three years frittered away.
Think about carefully - it is not beyond the realms of possibility. I will jot a few notes down today whilst everything is fresh in my memory.

Spoke to Reeksy yesterday - delivered his raffle prize to him. He remarked that he had a phenomenal time and loved it. He was ready to do another - in a few days. He slept well on Thursday evening.
Grahame.

longbowinfected

#18 Post by longbowinfected » Sun May 23, 2010 5:50 pm

I had a couple of pieces of Queensland scrub dug out of a large infected cut on my shin today....first shoot where I ever got injured where I had to have medical assistance even if after getting home. I had a fall at the field at the beginning of the shoot. My back objected to softening up the ground and hurt so much I did not notice the large cut till a day later. I will be taking antibiotics for the next week. Love it when the Bengladeshi doctor says whilst smiling like a Queensland saltwater croc "This will definitely hurt you more than me."
A number of the elite archers had to pull out with injuries. I was really glad to be able to continue on.

Kevin

Andy

#19 Post by Andy » Sun May 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Hey all,

Andy here, Kev Steve, Graham...there was a dark haired chick taking shots at the target. She said she had a link to her shots somewhere and there were quite a few of the longbow mob. Anybody any idea where I can find the shots?

Cheers,

Andy

Andy

#20 Post by Andy » Sun May 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Me again, anyone know who I can contact about getting a late entry in the state clout? There's are no contact details i can find on the Archery NSW entry page.

Regards

Andy - AKA NSW Longbowers Camp Cook

GrahameA

#21 Post by GrahameA » Sun May 23, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Andy.
Andy wrote:Hey all,

Andy here, Kev Steve, Graham...there was a dark haired chick taking shots at the target. She said she had a link to her shots somewhere and there were quite a few of the longbow mob. Anybody any idea where I can find the shots?

Cheers,

Andy
That would be Marji. Must telll that she was referred to as a "Dark haired chick". :D

At the moment no link I will send her an email.
Grahame.

Andy

#22 Post by Andy » Mon May 24, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks Grahame. Do you have Marji's email at all.

Andy

longbowinfected

#23 Post by longbowinfected » Mon May 24, 2010 9:20 am

Andy, Marji posted a rather nice photo of a "good looking pensive young blade from Yorkshyre" on archery forum.....you might know who that is.

As to the State event I had to get my missus to email in my entry last Monday as we were in Brizzie. I can remember that there was a comment about no late entries being accepted. The email address was not the treasurers as she was in Brizzie with the state team. I checked with the missus and the address was archery@exemail.com.au
The response was signed off by "Phil"

You might plead that it was a bit hard putting in your forms from Brizzie and that the other longbowers would like to chase the new open men's longbow champion. If you need a reference get him to ring me....I will fit er fix you up. Hope you get in.

Kevin

GrahameA

#24 Post by GrahameA » Mon May 24, 2010 10:27 am

Morning Kevin.
longbowinfected wrote:As to the State event I had to get my missus to email in my entry last Monday as we were in Brizzie. I can remember that there was a comment about no late entries being accepted. The email address was not the treasurers as she was in Brizzie with the state team. I checked with the missus and the address was archery@exemail.com.au
The response was signed off by "Phil"
Why didn't you just enter on-line?
Grahame.

longbowinfected

#25 Post by longbowinfected » Mon May 24, 2010 11:32 am

No computer with me nor wireless gizzmo. I do not have internet banking either.
The day before I left I had no internet access, local pigeonswere not fed. I took theformswith me and was horrified to find that Post Offices were closed like most other things in Brizzie on a Saturday. The newsagents I went to did not act as Post Office subagents either. The closing date was the Monday with no chance ofeven getting an Express post off in enough time even if the Monday post mark would have complied.

Kevin

Andy

#26 Post by Andy » Mon May 24, 2010 12:10 pm

What's archery forum and where is it?

Emailed the guys at State Clout and they're not taking any more entries. And obviously without broadband wireless at the campsite online entry would have been difficult. I'll go do some bare shaft tuning at Liverpool instead. So not to worry. Be interesting to see if anyone in open beats my 514.

Andy

GrahameA

#27 Post by GrahameA » Mon May 24, 2010 6:21 pm

Grahame.

Chase N. Nocks

#28 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue May 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Brumbies Country wrote:I'd like to applaud the achievement of a couple of our regulars at the AA Nationals. In the open mens longbow Darryl Reeks pipped Longbow Steve, but Steve got his own back in the target heading off Darryl and according to my reckoning setting a new open men's longbow target total and well as smashing the previous 30m record. Longbow infected (Kevin Girard) came second in the Masters longbow field and 3rd in the target. Clout scores aren't up yet.

For those interested in barebow recurve, the two Micks, Turner and Fisher, shot both their field rounds over 300, which are really good scores. Mick Turner shot an amazing 325 first day. Both are off to the upcoming World Field Championships and those sort of scores will stand them in good stead.
Simon,

For those of us not in the know do you mind running us through what these field courses involve..how many arrows, what distance, target type ...

I really want to give the Target Archery a go.. actually started with Target Archery 30 odd years ago before moving into ABA/Field Archery about 29 years ago.

You used to be able to join AAA or ABA (one or the other) and then shoot in events for either association..is this still the case. Bit confused as joining the RGB group of AAA costs about $115 per year and ABA costs about $85 per year..I don't want to have to join both if unnecessary. I'm one of the lucky ones that pays that insurance element 3-4 times by the time I join ABA, 3DAAA and then Sporting Shooters.

Cheers
Troy
"Shooting the Stickbow"

Brumbies Country

#29 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue May 25, 2010 2:04 pm

[quote="Chase N. Nocks
Simon,

For those of us not in the know do you mind running us through what these field courses involve..how many arrows, what distance, target type ...

I really want to give the Target Archery a go.. actually started with Target Archery 30 odd years ago before moving into ABA/Field Archery about 29 years ago.

You used to be able to join AAA or ABA (one or the other) and then shoot in events for either association..is this still the case. Bit confused as joining the RGB group of AAA costs about $115 per year and ABA costs about $85 per year..I don't want to have to join both if unnecessary. I'm one of the lucky ones that pays that insurance element 3-4 times by the time I join ABA, 3DAAA and then Sporting Shooters.

Cheers
Troy[/quote]

Hi Troy

Archery Australia/FITA field is shot across variable terrain, shooting circular targets in four sizes, 20cm, 40 cm, 60cm and 80cm in diameter. Generally speaking the smaller targets are closer range and the larger more distant. The maximum distance for longbow is 40 m, for barebow recurve and compound its 50 meters and for freestyle recurve and compound its 60m. The vast majority of FITA Field shot in Australia the distances are known with only the occasional unmarked competition. We are whimpish in that regard because alot of overseas competitions involve the distances not being marked. For a longbower the 20cm bugseyes shot at 15m is often the pet hate. For longbowers the rounds are often shot with gap, or what becomes a combination of gap and instinctive. I have a good friend who claims to instinctively shoot the longbow round and he scores well.The best recurve barebowers stringwalk. Each discipline shoots three arrows at each of 24 targets for a total of 72 arrows per round.

Really topical your question re ABA/3DAA shooters being able to shoot AA. We have a longbow target shoot this weekend run by an AA club and unfortunately they are restricting it to AA members, despite the fact that there was a recently anounced national tri-partate agrement between ABA,AA and 3DAAA. I'd enquire locally. My understanding was that membership of one would allow at least limited participation in the other, but the message has not got through to all. Certainly our local ABA club will allow AA members to try, for example ABA 3D.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Simon

GrahameA

#30 Post by GrahameA » Tue May 25, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Simon.
Brumbies Country wrote: Really topical your question re ABA/3DAA shooters being able to shoot AA. We have a longbow target shoot this weekend run by an AA club and unfortunately they are restricting it to AA members, despite the fact that there was a recently anounced national tri-partate agrement between ABA,AA and 3DAAA. I'd enquire locally. My understanding was that membership of one would allow at least limited participation in the other, but the message has not got through to all. Certainly our local ABA club will allow AA members to try, for example ABA
Whilst some Associations - eg 3DAAA - have said go for it. Archery Australia, moving at its usual glacial speed, is still conducting negotiations with the other bodies. IMHO - Archery Australia is not famed for its speed in doing anything so I would not hold my breathe waiting for it to happen.

This is what Archery Australia has said:
Historic meeting development with ABA and 3DAA

On Saturday 27th February 2010 an historic first ever meeting was held between the combined
Executives of Archery Australia, The Australia Bowhunters Association (ABA) and 3D Archery
Association of Australia (3DAAA). The meeting was a culmination of ongoing discussions
since January to progress greater cooperation and collaboration between our associations.
The meeting agreed to form a Working Group to progress our aims of mutual cooperation and
to provide a combined voice for archery in Australia whilst preserving the individual autonomy
of our individual member associations.

The meeting reflected a great deal of determination, good will, cooperation and collaboration
between all associations and we agreed on a set of priorities to progress as soon as possible.
These included enabling each other members to participate in our tournaments and
competitions – with details still to be worked out.

Progressing a common code of behaviour and conduct for all participants; collaborating on
common marketing and promotion materials to increase community interest and participation
in archery; the development of minimum standards of archery competency; and investigate a
common affordable insurance cover to cover competitors across all disciplines.
In due course we will also work with dealers to implement responsible sale and resale of
archery equipment and the promotion of clubs and instruction programs to people buying
archery equipment for the first time.

When the announcement of the partnership was made at the Australian Hall of Fame Induction
Dinner there was spontaneous applause from the over 400 guests. For many of our members
who are also members of ABA and 3DAAA there is no doubt a sense of “about time”.
Brian Hagaman and Jim Larven will be the AA representatives on the 6 member Working
Group.

This is a unique opportunity in time to progress greater cooperation with our colleagues in
these other disciplines which will have tangible benefits for club archers who want to enjoy the
many and varied facets of archery.

Greg Goebel
President
1 March 2010
Proudly
http://www.archery.org.au/lib/pdf/president010310.pdf
Grahame.