Walking the Dog

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Coach

Walking the Dog

#1 Post by Coach » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:43 pm

OK , I like to walk my dogs , they are two little dogs . Now , what gets me p!ssed off is , the fact that around here we have a dog/s in every second house . These are usually , Big Dogs ,, IE , Rottweilers , German Shepards , Pig Dogs of some inbreeding , etc , etc . The fenced yard of these dogs are usually lower than the Dogs heads , meaning that they can jump the fence and try to rip my little dogs heads off !
So , the question is , should I not take my dogs for a walk ? OR , should I take a big stick , and maybe a knife to defend myself and my dogs ?
I am really sick of it ! I dont feel comfortable taking my dogs for a walk anymore , so they miss out , and it's not fair !
So , what do you guys suggest ?
I swear , the next dog that is not controlled by its owner is going to die !

Trad Bound

Re: Walking the Dog

#2 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi Jeff
Be careful I don't think it would be wise to carry a weapon like a knife or a stick it could be argued to went with intent but hey a walking sticking :lol: might be a totally different thing :roll: . Not an old man walking stick but a proper walking/ tramping stick. there are a few good sites that will show you how to make them. Bushcraft UK forum being one.
Cheers TonyJ

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:40 pm

A "Tramping " stick is what I was thinking :D Something to help "me along " with my bad knees 8)
What are my rights in this situation ? Any Solicitors out there ?
Last edited by Coach on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roadie

#4 Post by Roadie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:58 pm

Base Ball Coach, you just happen to be coming home from Baseball practice with your dogs when you and your dogs were terrorised, just protecting myself," Officer". Cheers Coach. Roadie

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:00 pm

Hearing you there , but what if they check with the team? :lol:

matt61

#6 Post by matt61 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:44 pm

Where I live Coach on my way to work most mornings I see two old fellas walking their dogs, one carries a baseball bat and the other carries a pool que both obviously on their way to practice or training :wink: :wink:
Matt

Trad Bound

#7 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Pool hall opens early in your area Matt :roll:

otis.drum

#8 Post by otis.drum » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:07 pm

arsenic
...otis...

otis.drum

#9 Post by otis.drum » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:07 pm

steak
...otis...

otis.drum

#10 Post by otis.drum » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:08 pm

doggie heaven
...otis...

clinglish

#11 Post by clinglish » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Get a bottle of lemon juice and a small water pistol I use this method in my estate and the dogs learn quickly not to bark at me or my kids
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

clinglish

#12 Post by clinglish » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Vinegar works as well
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

kimall

#13 Post by kimall » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:41 pm

Here in town if you feel intimidated by a dog as you walk the footpath you can call the council and the people have to secure the dog away from the front of the house or have them removed and the owner charged.Try using the system first I rekon then the water pistol trick sounds cool.
Cheers KIM

Stephen Georgiou

#14 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:15 pm

Hate barking dogs
Hate their stupid owners more.
Big Problem crappy solutions.
The law is an ass on this subject.

My immediate reaction in these situations is to lash out at the dog but being married with kids leads me to be more
responsible than my instincts prefer.

Every fiber of my being tells me that it is OK to kill the b#st#rds but being "civilized" means that I have to fight against my own feelings for the "Greater Good" whatever the hell that is!

My suggestion is try and find another way to go to walk to dogs or put them in the car and take them further out where you won't be bothered by the morons and their moronic pets.

Cheers

P.S. My heart rate is up just thinking about this!!!
b#st#rds.......

looseplucker

#15 Post by looseplucker » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Jeff

Be very careful - unless you are protecting your dogs then you could go for aggravated cruelty. A stick is too obvious. My fave has been a small water pistol with a mixture of water and ammonia or you can get dried chillies (the deep red ones) pound them up and steep in boiling water - poor man's pepper spray.

Done it myself on aggressive dogs and boy do they learn not to come near. Yes- lemon juice works well too.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

matt61

#16 Post by matt61 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:39 pm

The water pistol idea is good guys,but in my mind I keep having visions of Coach stalking the streets armed with two magnum supersoakers,one filled with lemon juice the other with vinegar and reaking havoc. :lol: :lol:
Matt

Coach

#17 Post by Coach » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:00 pm

matt61 wrote:The water pistol idea is good guys,but in my mind I keep having visions of Coach stalking the streets armed with two magnum supersoakers,one filled with lemon juice the other with vinegar and reaking havoc. :lol: :lol:
Matt
ROFLMAO ,, oh so true matt :lol: :lol: :lol: But I grow a LOT of chillies , so I reckon the poor mans pepper spray would be the go :lol: :lol: Or maybe some Hydrochloric Acid ,, or is that overkill ?? 8)

matt61

#18 Post by matt61 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:17 pm

I would give the hydrocloric acid a miss,to much risk of callateral damage.The vinegar works real well,I used to mix it in a bucket of water and hang it on the clothes line with a old towel pegged to the buckets lip to cure my dogs from pulling the washing of the line, when they jump and grab the towel, they get a face full of vinegar and cold water.
Matt

Coach

#19 Post by Coach » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:02 pm

Just to clear things up ,, I was only joking about the acid ... I love dogs and would NEVER do anything so mean .

ottis

#20 Post by ottis » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:10 pm

arsenic ,acid , baseball bats are you blokes for real or what. where talking about pet dogs here, we cop enough flack for hunting and even more when clowns do the wrong thing, so to suggest some of the stuff in previous posts come on no wonder we get hammered.

Coach

#21 Post by Coach » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Otis ,, some of this thread is tongue in cheek ... probably not the best for people who cant see it ,, but I will say one thing ,, I have the right to be a responsible Dog owner and take my puppies for a walk without fear of others not controlling their dogs , jumping fences and trying to bite me or kill my puppies ! And if one does that ,, I WILL KILL it , as I consider my puppies to be part of my family and will do anything to defend them .
I am sick and tired of seeing these dog owners with Pig Dogs , Rotties etc , owning them because they are some sort of status symbol , ie , " Look at me , I have a vicious /big dog " ,, yet thats all they do , is OWN them ,, they dont take them for walks or have any interaction with them apart from feeding them !
So IMO ,.. if one wants to jump the fence and attack us , I WILL KILL it , as it is my RIGHT to defend me and those that I love ! And I dont need water pistols or sticks ,, I will do it with my hands .
So , seriously dude ,, settle down and dont get all offended , as I am sure you would think about doing the same thing when it came to your loved ones :wink: Hopefully "DO" rather than think :wink:

Maybe I should be targeting the owners .

Nephew

#22 Post by Nephew » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:37 pm

Wouldn't Hydrochloric Acid melt the water pistol? :D

If your game I have an idea they would hate a face full of human urine. Wouldn't take too many of them for the dogs to get the picture and leave you alone! I suggest the use of the water pistol though, the other method of delivery may be a little perilous! :? :P :lol:
Last edited by Nephew on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Coach

#23 Post by Coach » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Moreton wrote:Wouldn't Hydrochloric Acid melt the water pistol? :D
No it wouldnt ,,, as Hydrochloric Acid comes in Plastic bottles ,, it melts Metal .

Nephew

#24 Post by Nephew » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Coach wrote:
Moreton wrote:Wouldn't Hydrochloric Acid melt the water pistol? :D
No it wouldnt ,,, as Hydrochloric Acid comes in Plastic bottles ,, it melts Metal .
Well, there you go! Live and learn, hey?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

kimall

#25 Post by kimall » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:03 pm

Get a dog that is bigger than theirs. 8)
Cheers KIM

g_r

#26 Post by g_r » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Or you take the other way round, every evil has its reason....

when i walk my girlfriends dog (BIG but a coward, even afraid of sheep or cats) there was an old vicious dog like the ones youre dealing with. Its owner was beating him, feeding him poor etc. so it was clear he got vicious, who wouldnt. I started throwing in some goodies to him when walking by and talking nice to him. Took some weeks till he didnt bark at me but wagged his tail whe i was coming round the corner and than i could even pet him and feed him by hand, we got friends. THe owner was mad at me because of it but he was not there most of the times. The dogs dead now and the owner even blamed me of having it poisoned :?

He got a new puppy he treats just like before, this time i started with my treatment early and the dog never barked at me. In adition i am at the moment trying to find out who sold the puppy and if he is reaasonable i will tell him whats going on there, perhaps hell take it back...
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

matt61

#27 Post by matt61 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:47 pm

I had a dog chase me on my motorbike riding thru town on my way to play hockey years ago,it grabbed my trouser leg and almost made me crash into a parked car the only thing that saved me was my trousers tore.I stopped up the street and unstrapped my hockey stick of the packrack and did a lap around the block and Fido came racing out again and I belted it in the ribs as hard as I could and after that it never chased a motor bike again.Another time there was a pitbull loose in my street when all the school kids were walking home and they were petrified,so I caught it and put it on a chain and hooked it to the towball of my ute in the front yard, gave it a drink and some dry food thinking the owner would come looking for it and at least say thanks. He did in the wee small hours when I was asleep and took the dog and my chain and my bowl, another community minded soul and asset to society.And I would the do same as Coach without hesitation if a uncontrolled dog attacks something of mine.
Matt

bentsticke

#28 Post by bentsticke » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:24 pm

had same problem walking my rottie dogs big and small attacking and harrasing us he was my trained security dog so well behaved went to council they where useless after 3 attack by same cattle dog I gave attack command to max cattle dog didnt know what hit it if it had not went back to yard I would have snapped its neck I rang mayor and complained and told him I will kill it if happens again he clamed i not allowed but dog shifted to another area by owner . I carry a bambo pole now as a walking stick inscribed HUSH PUPPY dont have a dog problem any more same old story got a problem and you wanted sorted do it yourself !!!!!! just my opinion cheers Brett

dawallace45

#29 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:07 am

Get some Habanero Chillies , chop them up fine and leave them in a jar with metho for a week , drain out the metho using a funnel and a coffee filter into a nasal spray , this method will keep more of the oils than just boiling them in water , the nasal spray is more unobtrusive than a water pistol , a small water pistol may be mistaken for a gun and get you shot by some cop and a big multi colored one just looks funny . Habanero chillies are hot , on a scale of 1 to 10 they are some thing like 15 , or so it seems to me ,

If your walking through the scrub then a hiking stick is fine but if your walking around the streets then just use a ordinary walking stick and limp a little now and then .

The habanero nasal spray works well on pretty much any size attacker , two legged or four , just remember to put some sort of marking on it so not to get it mixed up with your normal one as I guarantee it will unblock your sinuses in a way you will never forget

When I have more time I may post on my first run in with Habanero chilli

David

Coach

#30 Post by Coach » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:10 pm

I know all about Habanero Chillies mate :lol: I love growing my chillies :D