Snakes

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Roadie

Snakes

#1 Post by Roadie » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Evening All, Been looking at one of Jeffro topics and he showed a picture of a Red bellied Black snake, beautiful animal, best left alone, although not as venemous as some. If I may I would to share a true story with you all, I was bitten by a very deadly snake called a DEATH ADDER.not your normal death adder but a Western Desert Death Adder, he has Broad triangular head, grows to 0;75m. The specific name refers to the brick-red colour of the snake and means fire. Dark indistinct cross bands, whitish underside, tail can be black or white, mainly active on hot nights. Will not usually retreat if approached. captures it's prey by wriggling it's grub - like tail, The Aboriginals have great fear of the snake and call it Mythunda. I intend to call it "Oh my God *&%$!"
I was out in the Tanami Desert on a Hunting Trip with a few mate's, put our swags on the ground, next morning packing up the swag I was bitten, the snake had been sharing my swag with me. As an experinced Bush man, I had full First Aid kit, but also I carried UHF radio,also carried in the car One HF radio as well as my VHF radio. As we applied the Broad Bandage to my leg we contacted the Royal Flying Doctor in Alice Springs by HF radio. I was bitten at about 0715hrs and the RFDS was in the air by 0800hrs. The plane flying at 180knotts per hour took 02/30hrs to reach me, by using my VHF radio we we able to speak direct to the pilot and keep the doctor informed on my progress, as the plane opproached the old air strip we had moved to, the pilot requested could some one drive down the strip and remove the camels of the strip so he could land. 3/4 of on hour to stabalize me, they put me in what looked like a rubber canoe, then they sucked all the air out of it and it totally immoblized me, full body restriction bandage, then took of for Alice Springs and 2 and a bit hours later I was in hospital and spent the next 3 days in intensive care. I no longer put my swag on the ground I sleep on the back of my Ute or I put up a camp streacher. Also now when i'm out I also wear knee length canvas gaters. Cheers Roadie.

PS Sorry for boring you all, but as summer is near, snakes are well and truly active, take care all that chose to go hunting

Gringa Bows

Re: Snakes

#2 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:31 pm

not boring mate,your lucky you were prepared and could get in touch with the flying docs................Rod

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Good story and another example of why you should be careful with our snakes :wink: :D

kimall

#4 Post by kimall » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:54 pm

I think you just need to harden up a bit the thing doesnt even get a metre long. :roll:
No seriously mate you are very lucky, if you dont mind can you tell us a bit about the symptoms and how you felt at the time after being bitten I am very interested.
Cheers KIM

Benny Nganabbarru

#5 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:05 pm

I got red-belly-blacked when I was younger and stupider, once. It sure hurt!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Roadie

#6 Post by Roadie » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:52 pm

Evening All, Hi Kim, About 10 minutes after his strike I had one Hell of a Headacke, then I started to sweat quite a lot, not to sure if it was the adrelian rush kicking in, I was made comfortable on another swag, as the venmon attacks the nervous system's . it slowly shuts all your vital organs down. I slowed my Heart Rate down to half and went into shallow breathing myself. the most embarressing thing is you lose control of some body functions, like one can't stop wetting oneself. Even when the DR arrived she acknowledged the fact that I was fighting the snake bite and I was in some type of hybernation. Being reasonably fit and attending to the strike immediatley with the Broad Bandage did help. Mind you waiting for the plane to come and your are at least 380klms from Alice Springs,plus you have been bitten by a snake who is in the top 5 of Australia most deadilest does play on one's mind. Trying to stay Calm and don't panic isn.t all that easy. Cheers Roadie.

kimall

#7 Post by kimall » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Did it take a long time to get back to full health mate and is there any lingering probs.
Cheers KIM

longbowinfected

#8 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:24 pm

We have only got three quarters of an acre but we are out in a bush corridor in a national park. It is a permaculture garden and we do have chooks, ducks, geese, rabbits and guinea pigs......and of course snakes.....copperheads, red belly black snakes and the odd brown snake. We see these daily in the spring and summer. That's life. We watch and we leave them alone and so far they have left us alone. Some parts of the garden even I wear shoes. I always use a torch on the warm nights and we definitely close the doors.

They were here before us and we welcome nature in our yard, carefully. We also see many lizards, goannas, monitors, frogs, birds, possums, quolls, feral cats and foxes. The last two get arrested. We live trap and get the cats scanned.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

BowDonkey

#9 Post by BowDonkey » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:47 am

I read your story. Frightening to say the least. Glad you made it. I'm also glad you didn't post pictures. :)
SNAKE HATER & HORSERADISH LOVER

Jeffro

#10 Post by Jeffro » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:54 am

Very interesting to hear about your story Roadie and it sounds terrifying.I knew a bloke when I was a kid that was bitten by a death adder.Such a long time ago that I cant remember the details just that he was in hospital for about 3 days aswell.
I just purchased some good quality gaitors for some up and coming hunts .
Getting bitten so far from help would have scared the crap out of you.
Does anyone else have a bitten by a snake story to tell?

Sparra

#11 Post by Sparra » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Another good example of hunting with a partner...when something happens it's good to have some help close on hand...
Cheers...Sparra

There is always someone doing it tougher than you...

longbowinfected

#12 Post by longbowinfected » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:44 pm

Even if it is only to light your last gasper....
Be horrible going by yourself with no one to bitch to except the wombats...

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

ivorycollector

#13 Post by ivorycollector » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:14 pm

Thanks Roadie for sharing. Just another reminder for those of us that venture out and loves the outback to be extra careful. I am guilty of taking things for granted at times. Recently got myself one of those campcot- apart from easier getting in and out also it is off the ground that I like.

Benny Nganabbarru

#14 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:07 am

I used to be very complacent, and just throw a swag on a tarp. I've since started using a zip-up mozzie dome, and this year it proved its worth when a brown came cruising into camp one night.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

hue

#15 Post by hue » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:28 pm

my club is in the middle of suburbia, Yarra Bowmen, right next to the yarra.
last thursday, opened the clubhouse and found a 2 metre long red-belly black on the floor - i like those guys, more curious than dangerous and i managed to shoo him out.
3 days later, at our storage shed about 5 metres from the clubhouse, 1.5 metre tiger. they are out now guys and everyone should be wary - they won't seek you to be aggressive or to bite you - but they will defend themselves, so leave 'em alone - i just love watching them and i've been bitten heaps of times in my earlier days when i used to catch them.
thank the gods for antivenin - these days, i get bitten by pythons mostly :mrgreen:

Hue
I can only be who I am

dawallace45

#16 Post by dawallace45 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:53 am

One of the reasons I use a Hennessy camping Hammock

David

Nephew

#17 Post by Nephew » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:34 am

That story sent a chill down my spine, Roadie! Glad your still here to share it with us, mate.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!