Help! Dad and 2 boys need a plan...

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

blu-dog

Help! Dad and 2 boys need a plan...

#1 Post by blu-dog » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:29 pm

...was just sitting here thinking and trying to make some plans for the next few days, and was wondering if any of you may have some suggestions???

My wife, daughter and mother-in-law have gone for a holiday in China and while there are doing just over a week of touristy stuff and after that are assisting / volunteering at an orphanage / foster home for children with special needs. http://www.coat.org.au

I'm currently at home with my 2 boys, aged 9 and 7. My problem is that I want to make this school holiday memorable for them too! I don't want them to be overlooked in all of the excitement and elation of the China trip - and apart from that...they're really missing their mum and sister and need the distraction.

Today we went for a drive to a small country town (Mt Perry) - about 90km away and had a picnic lunch and walked through Boolbunda Tunnel - to watch and photograph the colony of bats that live in there...

What else can you suggest for us that would be suitable and memorable for us on our "boys holiday"???

We're planning a quick camping trip towards the end of next week...but thought it'd be good if any of you had some alternate suggestions.

Thanks,
Paul
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Help! Dad and 2 boys need a plan...

#2 Post by Bill » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:25 am

Hi there, the weather here in wodonga is just right for Kite building and flying, a storm has just past over and the breeze has picked up.
My kids have now all grown up and there's one at home during the school holidays any more, so no more kite flying.
The best kite that will always fly is a sled kite. Two lenghts of dowel a piece of plastic some packing tape, lots of string and away you go. No need for a tail with plenty of information on the web. Just plenty of open space. If built correctly this type of Kite will fly very high. .........Best of luck.

Longclaw

#3 Post by Longclaw » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:38 am

At that age, I reckon any quality time that they spend with you will be memorable :)

The camping trip is a great idea.
Are you handy? Perhaps you can work on a project together around the house, like building a cubby house or chook pen, or painting some walls - something they can show off and be proud of when the girls get home. But it's more important for it to be fun and let them do things themselves, than for it to be perfect.

Or is travel an option? The Snowies are lovely this time of year ;)
Emma

Roadie

#4 Post by Roadie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:52 am

Morning Blu dog, as you are into Archery is it possible to get the boys to make a couple of bows out of saplings or something similar, I have my 2 grandsons with me and we have made a biily cart, the boys (aged 6&4) just love it. Mind you Gramps has done most of the building, and the boys painting of it leaves a lot to be desired. Cheers Roadie.

blu-dog

#5 Post by blu-dog » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:37 pm

We're out on the shed today making kites...have downloaded the plans...been to Bunnings...and are now cutting the rubbish bags. Thanks for the ideas guys!
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!

dawallace45

#6 Post by dawallace45 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:03 am

Paul

If you have a 4x4 you could take them up through Deepwater to Agnes and then maybe Eurumbulla Creek and Middle Creek or maybe canoeing down Baffle Creek

David

blu-dog

#7 Post by blu-dog » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:26 am

Thanks David,
We're heading there next week - had already planned to do that drive!

Some arrow shafts arrived on Monday so we're going to work on them today!

dawallace45

#8 Post by dawallace45 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:06 am

Paul

If you have access to a canoe then canoe camping is always fun and those ages are good ones to get them started in canoeing and kayaking

Middle and Eurumbulla creeks are two of my favorite places , I kayak around there every chance I get .

Another interesting trip is from the Middle creek track through to the telegraph track to the Middle Island causeway then back to the Turkey Beach road , but that may be best with two 4x4's and definitely not when it's wet , although my wife and I did it with out any problem a couple of months ago with out any problem

David

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Bill » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:48 pm

Hey, how did the Kites go...??

looseplucker

#10 Post by looseplucker » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:59 pm

You could always try this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_c0B00Ax3w
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

blu-dog

#11 Post by blu-dog » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:08 am

Thanks loosepluker...just heading out to the shed now to check if I've got the gear needed to try this out!!! :lol: