Moose Hunting

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Brett Finger

Moose Hunting

#1 Post by Brett Finger » Sat May 16, 2009 5:48 am

think i might take me 43# LB Bow after this fella... :mrgreen:

Regards, Bretto :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
!cid_VM4$01$W117819238$3149@webmail11.jpg
!cid_VM4$01$W117819238$3149@webmail11.jpg (67.72 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Nephew

Re: Moose Hunting

#2 Post by Nephew » Sat May 16, 2009 10:23 am

Cool Brett! I'll bring my 40#er too! :wink: Ya reckon it's fair dinkum, though? :D
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Sat May 16, 2009 10:37 am

I told my partner how big they were a while ago, you should have seen her face when I showed her the photo :D . Steve

Sparra

#4 Post by Sparra » Sat May 16, 2009 1:02 pm

They sure grow things big over there...Considering that tree under it's belly is 50' tall....Good luck with it guys... :lol: :lol:
Cheers...Sparra

There is always someone doing it tougher than you...

longbowinfected

#5 Post by longbowinfected » Sat May 16, 2009 1:41 pm

I think you should take great care not to get it cranky........visions of you turned into an organic smear along that nice clean road.......you are going to use explosive bodkins I take it.....0.50 might make a dent in a soft spot.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

UPTHETOP

#6 Post by UPTHETOP » Sat May 16, 2009 6:34 pm

Brett imagine capping him out and lugging the rack back to civilization.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

hue

#7 Post by hue » Sat May 16, 2009 7:15 pm

did anyone catch Billy Conelley's show on saturday night. that had a scene! about compound hunting for the moose
and having done some 3D. the **** on the moose is a foot higher than i am, and i'm five foot six
Hue
I can only be who I am

Brett Finger

#8 Post by Brett Finger » Sun May 17, 2009 1:30 pm

UPTHETOP wrote:Brett imagine capping him out and lugging the rack back to civilization.

Cheers Wayno
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bretto.. hehehe :mrgreen:
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

longbowinfected

#9 Post by longbowinfected » Mon May 18, 2009 11:49 am

Hue,
what on earth made you point out to that particular reference point?
My eyes are burning and I gag as I try to get rid of that image.

New name for you....

Moose mechanic.........with some love and care when you check their undercarriage you can fix them [Moose]

Worse thing is that I would have less room to stand.

Scary.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon May 18, 2009 7:12 pm

shpould have no trouble with that little fella Brett,how quick can you reload :mrgreen:

hue

#11 Post by hue » Mon May 18, 2009 10:48 pm

the only reason i mention that KEVIN is that as far as 3D targets go, it's huge, but not as big as that guy in the photo!
so why, i ask, did most of us miss the kill zone? i can't work that one out!
a second cousin of mine lives in Canada, Prince Edward Island. he claims blind that some of the local hunters actually watched a massive male grizzly bear smash the head off one those moose in a tremendous battle.needless to say, they slunk away very quietly. that kind of power is always awesome in the wild!
and Kev. thanks! i think!
I can only be who I am

Tuffcity

#12 Post by Tuffcity » Tue May 19, 2009 2:33 am

a second cousin of mine lives in Canada, Prince Edward Island. he claims blind that some of the local hunters actually watched a massive male grizzly bear smash the head off one those moose in a tremendous battle
He must have been into a couple pints of Keiths as there are no grizzlies in Prince Edward Island. :)

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

Nephew

#13 Post by Nephew » Tue May 19, 2009 10:37 am

Hey, while we've got a Canadian in the thread, Tuff, does that look fair dinkum to you, mate? Seems a bit exaggerated to me, but I've never seen one in real life, so what do you reckon? Do they really get that big, and if so, is anyone silly/ brave/confident enough to take 'em on with a bow? :)
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Tuffcity

#14 Post by Tuffcity » Tue May 19, 2009 11:51 am

Moreton,

Looks like a fair picture. A mature bull will go 6 feet to the top of the shoulder and push 1500 pounds or better. We've taken a few that look like that. They're a blast to bow hunt, especially during the rut when they can be called in to close ranges. The last time my hunting partner and I bow hunted moose, he called one to within 3 yards before arrowing it.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

DylanK

#15 Post by DylanK » Tue May 19, 2009 6:06 pm

If I imagine a 4wd on the track next to it, it doesnt seem real. Just too tall, although I havnt seen one IRL either.

Dylan

clinton miller

#16 Post by clinton miller » Wed May 20, 2009 3:26 pm

wayno- packing the rack would be the fun part. it's packing the rest of it that would be not so fun. all edible portions have to packed out by law here in canada. walking in the dark with a moose leg on your back. GRIZZLY!

saw my 1st moose today actually. a bull in velvet, about 8" stubs. shiras moose. also saw a porcupine, a chipmunk and a chocolate black bear. 3 moose total sighted on the outfitt today.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

DylanK

#17 Post by DylanK » Wed May 20, 2009 5:53 pm

I now think the first picture is real :D These things are behemoths!

Dylan

hue

#18 Post by hue » Wed May 20, 2009 5:59 pm

did say "swore blind" didn't i Tuff
have got back in touch with my cuzz, he modified his story somewhat but did say that the grizzly was a big male and took the head near off a full grown male moose, but whether or not it was on the "island" is still a mystery to me. i don't live there!

Hue
I can only be who I am

longbowinfected

#19 Post by longbowinfected » Wed May 20, 2009 8:40 pm

I remember that story with gory pix of a huge bear that stood as tall as a house......killed quite a few people pix of what he left........we do not have many creatures that are likely to hunt and eat us here....adds a new dimension to hunting I reckon.

Seems a fairer thing. Big rush I expect.

Kevin

Glenn

#20 Post by Glenn » Thu May 21, 2009 6:01 am

That moose is as tall as the track is wide, I doubt that is a real photo, especially when you look at the second photo...Glenn...

Brett Finger

#21 Post by Brett Finger » Thu May 21, 2009 5:11 pm

Glenn wrote:That moose is as tall as the track is wide, I doubt that is a real photo, especially when you look at the second photo...Glenn...
:wink: :mrgreen:

Roadie

#22 Post by Roadie » Thu May 21, 2009 6:38 pm

Regardless wether the Moose is real or not driving around the corner in my 4wd and seeing that,I might have to get my heart pacermaker re calibrated and possibly change my jeans. I know from my trip to canada in 2006 they are quite large,and I didnt know they could be used as harrness animals, always thought they were wild creatures. Cheers Roadie

Glenn

#23 Post by Glenn » Fri May 22, 2009 6:00 am

When I was driving through Idaho in 1994 I saw a cow and her calf on the side of the road, and I saw a bull moose somewhere else and he was a very large animal. I have eaten moose and it is one of the nicest game meats I have tried...Glenn...

g_r

#24 Post by g_r » Wed May 27, 2009 12:45 am

I woke up during a hitch hiking trip last year in Scandinavia (north sweden to be correct) under my tarp cause i heard strange grunts , lokked out and a bull moose was standing 10 m infront of my shelter. Sadly he ran off before my camera was packed out but i can tell you they look big when you lie on youre back! :shock:

As the American strain gets bigger than th European (like always, only thin bigger in Europe are beer glasses) i would say the photo is real. you also have to consider the uplooking angle of the pic.
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

calgarychef

#25 Post by calgarychef » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:24 am

I'd say the moose in the first pic isn't retouched. The trees behind it look about the right size, it's a narrow road though for sure. The moose in the harness isn't actaully a very big moose. The moose in Northern Alberta are 6" at the shoulder, and about 1200 lbs for a big one. They sure are fun to hunt and aren't that hard to kill with a bow.