jape - gawn

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

jape

jape - gawn

#1 Post by jape » Thu May 14, 2009 2:17 pm

It has come to my attention that a few folk have remarked upon and questioned my leaving. I chose to do it without any fuss or comment but have since been asked to explain my feelings and decision.

OK. I decided to leave after yet another run in with the moderators about censorship. In itself this particular case was not so important, nor indeed have some others been important, however, what is important to one individual differs from another of course.

My objection is to any moderation, however minor or justified in the eyes of the moderators that is not flagged or notified as such. And especially to moderation that deletes just part of a post as that may alter the meaning and intent. This can and does lead to misunderstanding which may then lead to bad feeling, abuse and escalation.

Further to that, I do not believe that censorship is necessary, adults can choose to respond or not to a post and in a group of adults there are usually some willing to calm down and mediate difficult situations either on or off the board. I believe that the sometimes mentioned risks of legal action against the forum owners are spurious and that reasonable and relevant statements of forum intent, behaviour and warning strategies are enough.

I do not believe that any particular 'morality' of an individual whether owner or moderator should define and dictate the morality or ethics of others that may participate.

A forum is a place for public meeting and an open discussion of topics, viewpoints and issues. From this openness in public view, further strategies and behaviours are developed, indeed much of law and changes in law come from such discussion. Consensus is not perfect but it is powerful. I believe a forum is owned by the members.

I have been made aware over a couple of years that quite a few members feel as do I and that some therefore no longer post or participate actively, while others have withdrawn completely over time. I believe that the censorship here is in fact not open, is not fair and even-handed and also that it reflects a minority position. I feel that sometimes harsh, sometimes erroneous and sometimes plain insecure and foolish censorship has ruined what could have been the most valuable traditional archery forum in this part of the world, if not wider.

This has been a long time coming, perhaps inevitable, but I will not accept any more.

Over the time I have been here I have had some very real abuse for some of my personal views and statements, made to me off-forum, but that would never stop me from taking part. I have tried 'most of the time' :lol: to post with fairness and humour, to listen and to learn from the many very experienced and decent folk here. I have made some good friendships that will endure, made a couple of 'enemies' that through time and maturity have become at the least amicable antagonists, and I have learnt a lot and had some wonderful support and advice. Thanks to all. I shall drop in for PM's and some personal threads in the short term but I shall not post nor will I change my mind unless things change drastically.

jape
Roland

Coach

Re: jape - gawn

#2 Post by Coach » Thu May 14, 2009 5:19 pm

See Ya Jape , it's been fun at times 8) :lol:

matt_d

#3 Post by matt_d » Thu May 14, 2009 5:56 pm

That's a shame we won't be seeing much of you anymore Jape! :?
While you sometimes had some wildly different ideas and opinions to me, I always loved hearing them. :D I too have experienced some of what you describe, understand and agree with what you're saying.. Sometimes censorship is like telling a man he can't have his steak because a baby can't chew it. Other times it IS warranted for personal and legal reasons but many times it crosses the line. Try not to take it personally mate..
Matt

Graeme K

#4 Post by Graeme K » Thu May 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Sorry to see you go jape -- there are few enough of us without stuff like this thinning our numbers.

Graeme

Stephen Georgiou

#5 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Thu May 14, 2009 6:27 pm

Total number of members 1147 and counting :cry:
I nearly left this forum on my first day. Mostly my fault as I had not been on a forum before and did'nt understand how they worked.

What I have learnt is that to be a member of a forum holds some resposibility. Sometimes holding your toungue is hard but a necesarry part of being mature.

I know, being a hot head, that this is probably one of the hardest things to do in print, as this form of communication allows the brain just enough rope. Pressing send is a final act that sometimes clouds the ability to reason. Once a statement is made, pride sometimes clouds the ability to say sorry or retract something that in hindsight should never have been said.

If you come on to a forum looking for a fight there are enough different personalities that you can find one. I feel what has happened here is a real shame.
I don't know what was said or who said it but next time THINK.If you don't agree with something said, think about who will benifit from your correctness. Remember that opinions can be found, stacked high! So before you add another one to the pile, again I suggest that you THINK.

I am personally sorry we are losing an active member, that with a little tact by others, might never have made this descision to leave.

Just one more thing. 1385 is the number of posts jape has put on this site. So if the people who know why he is leaving can't show a little guts and fix this should have a good hard look at themselves.

Coach

#6 Post by Coach » Thu May 14, 2009 7:02 pm

Stephen Georgiou wrote:
I don't know what was said or who said it but next time THINK.If you don't agree with something said, think about who will benifit from your correctness. Remember that opinions can be found, stacked high! So before you add another one to the pile, again I suggest that you THINK.

I am personally sorry we are losing an active member, that with a little tact by others, might never have made this descision to leave.

Just one more thing. 1385 is the number of posts jape has put on this site. So if the people who know why he is leaving can't show a little guts and fix this should have a good hard look at themselves.
Steve , I'll do this as nicely as I can :D Read Japes post again mate ,, it has nothing to do with the members , it has to do with Admin , so , maybe as you say , you should THINK as well :wink:

As for showing Guts and Fixing it ,just because we KNOW why he is leaving , there is little I or anyone else could do to change Japes mind , apart from telling him to "Don't let it get to you mate" . He has his convictions and has stuck to them .
Anyway , it's his decision and thats the end of the story , I wish him luck .
I hope I havent offended anyone :)

Jeff

Sparra

#7 Post by Sparra » Thu May 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Coach wrote:
Stephen Georgiou wrote:

Steve , I'll do this as nicely as I can :D Read Japes post again mate ,, it has nothing to do with the members , it has to do with Admin , so , maybe as you say , you should THINK as well :wink:

As for showing Guts and Fixing it ,just because we KNOW why he is leaving , there is little I or anyone else could do to change Japes mind , apart from telling him to "Don't let it get to you mate" . He has his convictions and has stuck to them .
Anyway , it's his decision and thats the end of the story , I wish him luck .
I hope I havent offended anyone :)

Jeff
:lol: :lol: :lol: Your always offending people....All the best Jape...

Cheers...Sparra
Cheers...Sparra

There is always someone doing it tougher than you...

Coach

#8 Post by Coach » Thu May 14, 2009 7:26 pm

Sparra , this isnt about me ,, lets not make it that way please .

longbow steve

#9 Post by longbow steve » Thu May 14, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi Jape, Sorry to see you leave :( , I love reading your posts and your humour appeals to me. You know how to contact me should you need to know why your arrows are going left etc. Steve :P

Nephew

#10 Post by Nephew » Thu May 14, 2009 7:49 pm

It's a shame you see no alternative to this mate, but I respect your opinion. You have my number and address, stay in touch.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

longbowinfected

#11 Post by longbowinfected » Thu May 14, 2009 8:25 pm

I love your questions Jape.
I will miss them and you.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Stephen Georgiou

#12 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Thu May 14, 2009 9:50 pm

You are right Coach it's not about you its about losing a mate of a number of blokes here.

And about thinking. Enough said.

I have never met Jape but one day, maybe I will, and as such I wish him the best until then.

jcm

#13 Post by jcm » Thu May 14, 2009 10:29 pm

No farewells.
Thank you
John

Glenn

#14 Post by Glenn » Fri May 15, 2009 6:52 am

Thanks for the post Jape, hopefully one day our paths may cross. Good on you for speaking your mind Jape, I can relate to everything you say. If people knew what goes on behind the scenes of this site they would think you are making it up...Glenn...

Brett Finger

#15 Post by Brett Finger » Fri May 15, 2009 6:57 am

Take care mate,
understand compleatly.
Kindest Regards, Bretto :D
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

looseplucker

#16 Post by looseplucker » Fri May 15, 2009 1:54 pm

I have enjoyed the interchanges here and there on the forum and through emails etc, however this site is not owned by the members - it is there for the benefit of the members and it is moderated and is subject to posting rules. By posting we agree to be bound by those rules. I have had a couple of posts moderated myself and took no issue as the reasons for moderation were set out clearly by a moderator and I accepted the referee's ruling.

It is unfortunate that a member feels they have to leave, but for mine if there are rules made by those that run the site for our benefit then it behoves us to act in accordance with them.

Moreover I feel there is a big difference between censorship and moderation - but if Jeff or the others wish to delete material on the grounds of taste, decency etc then that is their prerogative, and having that in mind it does no good to rail against that. And I suppose if folk are not willing to abide by the rules of a forum they have the clear choice to set up one of their own. But I can say from experience in posting on 'anything goes' sites of various forms these do not last long as they get eaten up in malice and invective - largely due to 'Net Rage - where people will say whatever they want from the safety of a computer screen - which they would unlikely say to the person's face.

Just my 2cents.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Gringa Bows

#17 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri May 15, 2009 2:04 pm

well said looseplucker............shame to see you go Jape.....................Rod

aroadik

#18 Post by aroadik » Fri May 15, 2009 4:52 pm

Jape / Roland, it has been close to one year since I have posted here and I stopped for similar reasons, keep checking in - I do ! p.s. I have enjoyed your contributions, regards Peter.

kerrille

#19 Post by kerrille » Fri May 15, 2009 5:54 pm

yes roland sorry ta see ya go ...now i'll never no if you ever get that bunny, all the best.

...nev..
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Al Kidner

#20 Post by Al Kidner » Sat May 16, 2009 12:45 pm

Sorry to see it come to this mate. I enjoy your posts from time to time whenever I drop in as there is always another angle on things that you seem to always think of, for that read below...

"Illegitimus Non Carborundum"

All the best,

ak.

looseplucker

#21 Post by looseplucker » Mon May 18, 2009 12:15 pm

BTW

I did often find Rolands posts and emails and stuff informative and funny - my previous was not a criticism - hope you'll reconsider and come back in the future.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Antonio

#22 Post by Antonio » Mon May 18, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi Jape Sad to see you go but the door is always open .
I for one have been in an organization for recovering Alcoholic's for years 16 to be precise .And been there that long I know a thing or two but have to keep an open mind so best for me to always be a student rather than a teacher .

For a lot of years I used to go there listen and relax and other people would be plugging away in the back ground .It took me years before I realized that things don't get done by themselves .So for this organization to survive there had to be people in the background doing work to keep it going .

I used to think if some one drops it there is all ways some one out there to pick it back up and keep it going . Some times some one does not pick it up and the whole things falls apart .
(for example the Victorian ash shafts where very good shafts at low cost and no one has been capable of taking that place up again)

in that organization I found that the biggest critic's about how things where run when I picked up some responsibility where the ones that never could pick up responsibility .

That aside there is a primary purpose there and that is stay clean and sober and carry the message .

I learnt one thing and that is very simple stick to the primary purpose .
Stay alive stay sober stay healthy .

So the primary purpose of that place is to stay sober and help others do the same full stop.
If I want more from that place it does not do that .

It does not pay my rent .It does not give me a social life .It does not give me money .
It does not take me out for holidays .It does not give me unlimited amounts of women .
It does not give me material things .

So it does give me the primary purpose to myself stay sober and being sober I can teach an other how I did it .And help them find their way of staying sober or more precise tell them its possible .Full stop .That's the end of that one .

Now for me its pretty simple .When I need money I go to the bank .
I don't go to the bank to get groceries I go to the bank to get money .

When I need groceries I go to the supermarket store to get them .

When I need to post something I go to the post office .

Each place has a primary propose a mission to accomplish .
Each place serves its purpose .

That primary purpose is central to each organization .
Each organization lives because its primary purpose .

I don't know I could be wrong but what I get is that there is a primary purpose here in this sight .And that purpose I believe (I could be wrong ) is to keep Bow hunting alive in Australia .

So this is what I am getting .That the primary purpose here is to keep traditional bowhunting alive in this country .And what a beautiful country it is .
In the UK they banned bow hunting .Its great they still have a big traditional archery scene .

Over here you have big spaces of land one of the most wiled places on earth vast spaces of land uninhabited .What I great place to bowhunt .I am not saying other parts of the world are not great but .I got to value what we have here .And what we have is a pretty good start .
I think there would be something wrong with some one who likes Bow hunting if they did not value some of the great hunting places we have here .

In Alcoholics anonymous if some one tells you they are doing this stay sober thing for the people around them and all they care about is other Alcoholics to stay sober .
These people that say this are full of it these people are very charismatic .People tend to look up to them .

Be carefully of these types these types suicide after many years sober .
And they're listeners are always surprised .

I am not surprised! I am honest .I am selfish I am there to save my life .THEY CALL IT A SELFISH PROGRAM .And that is what it is .You got to take a lot before you can have enoph gratitude to give .

You can't give what you don't have .
When you have received a lot over the years and you are overflowing then you can give a little.

People in Sydney have truly lost touch with reality .They sit down to eat steak after work or eat chicken they eat lamb they consume it all the time either they eat it in Chinese restaurants in pies or kebabs or Mack Donalds .They lost touch that every time they eat that food some one had to put the animal down that is covered up they don't show it on television .They have lost touch with their Essen .They should have a traditional Cooking show where they show the person planting vegetables then sharpening breadboards making they're strings and making their bows quiver globes and arm brasses then showing that person practicing shooting .
Then them hunting and achieving game and last the cooking of the meal and tanning of the skins .

We are blessed In this country with lots of wild life and hunting places.
It is a great place to bow hunt .And bow hunting are one of the beautiful things in life for me .

A chain is as strong as its weakest link .We can't have a beautiful country like this close its doors to bouncing such beautiful land to bow hunt in .

So for me there is a saying you can't be half pregnant it here you are pregnant or not .

In Alcoholics Unanimous there are rules and principles we live by .
Things can really go of the rails some times in AA and we have a saying principles before personality's .

Some times there are big personality's who want to do away with the principles .
And it takes work on the side of the long term oldtimers of the place to bring it back to they're version of principles .

At the call center that I work at the primary purpose is to sell that's how I see it .
For the sales person has to sell .
That gets you in the door .Some time administration has a new comer and he or she will have a different primary purpose and that is to control people .And at one point normally that administrator will have to make a decision what's more important to try to control people or get the sales rate up .Eventually back and forward they make a decision .

The primary purpose in that call center for that day with over 100 people on the floor is to sell .Sell sell sell .

Most of the times every thing gets back to normal when every body starts to focus on the primary purpose to sell .

Humane beings can be very but very complex .

So for me its best to keep it very simple .
This sight has been running from 2003 and its done a very good job .
I am grateful that the administrators here have been keeping this sight going for that long .
I am also happy that they are keeping it alive .

This sight has given me a lot how to in the traditional archery .Such as quivers arrows shooting string making ,bow making that I want to get into .
And these people do Bow hunting and traditional Bow making .Fantastic
And there is some thing in archery that I love really find fascinating .
So I am grateful I can come back from work switch on the computer .
And can see people who have been hunting and people building bows and arrows .

allso I am greatfull this place networks archery avents and I can contact bow makers get ideas on arrow making
its a HUB .and suports local tradicional archery Bussines .so as keeping archery equipment in archers hands .
and bussines to be able to suply it .and those bussines would not be able to survive if people did not love archery .the bussines Guys Girls and the Buyers .

PS Jape If you do get that deer dont hesitate to post it up .It would be great to see.
all the best for you Jape stay alive stay healthy .love youreself and the things you love . :D

anyway the comon element here is that people like tradicional Bow hunting and you cant hunt tradicionaly if you have not got traditional equipment bows arrows strings quivers ,bowmaking ,arrow making.

Brett Finger

#23 Post by Brett Finger » Wed May 20, 2009 7:20 am

that... my friend is a well constructed responce :!:

alibit a a "TrAD" longwinded, i needed a drink after that...

Of Coffee :!:

17years sober and counting this way brother.....

Kindest Regards, Bretto :D
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Antonio

#24 Post by Antonio » Wed May 20, 2009 10:13 pm

Brett Finger good to hear good to hear :) .Yea every time I read it I notice it is quite long :shock: .Obviously I must have felt I needed to say some thing :D :lol: .What I meant to say :? :shock: ? I am not quite sure :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: .But I can assure you it made sense to me at the time. :lol: :lol: