Recurve Limb Performance

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Recurve Limb Performance

#1 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:53 am

Good Morning All

There is an extremely interesting post concerning Recurve Limb Performance on Archery Forum. (Well it is interesting to the bow builders.) GT is a bow designer with Hoyt.

Read post number #18 on this topic.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

buzz

Re: Recurve Limb Performance

#2 Post by buzz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:02 am

Thanks for that - an interesting read all the way through. And then GT comes in with the hard data and facts.

Loved this bit:
In past testing, I have taken 42# G3 foam core limbs (which is the standard endurance test marked weight) to 1,000,000 shot cycles at a peak draw weight of 50#. Obviously this is done with a machine, and requires about 38 days.

:shock:

And that he went and used in competition a set of limbs that had been through cycle testing. Thats faith in your product. Also a bit interesting that strings continue stretching for up to 10,000 cycles...

woody

#3 Post by woody » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Looks like my 452 X string is about to be retired.... :lol:
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:39 am

Morning Woody.

Yes, based on the comments there 452X is not a good choice for Recurves.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:08 am

Hi Grahame, very interesting and informative.

On the subject of strings I wanted to try some 8125 but was told by shop attendant that it is just D97 in a thinner strand are you familair with those two materials?
Steve

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:15 am

Morning Steve

I know very little about strings - I make them from B500 and D97 for my bows and for the club bows that is about it.

This is what BCY Says:
1.jpg
1.jpg (17.63 KiB) Viewed 905 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (21.69 KiB) Viewed 905 times
That would imply they are not the same.

It is worthwhile reading the comments on the BCY Q&A and Also read what Brownell has to say.

Somewhere on the web there is an excellent post about all the different materials but I am unable to remember where it is.
Grahame.

longbow steve

#7 Post by longbow steve » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:29 am

Hi Grahame, Thanks, I had a $40 spool of 8125 in my hand and asked the question. Not a good salesperson me thinks even though I was already sold :) .