Where to purchase Exotic Woods?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

hillbilly WA

Where to purchase Exotic Woods?

#1 Post by hillbilly WA » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Hey Guys
I was just wondering if anyone knew where in Perth, or WA, i could get some exotic woods. I want some desert ironwood and a burl of some type, and will try other woods that i like the look of.
So if anyone knows of a place that sells exotic woods in Perth, i would love to know where!
Also, if i can't find a place in Perth, where would you recommend i buy from to get it shipped to WA?
Thanks, Carl
I did have a signature... It was a very good one in fact... It made me laugh... But i lost it... So i dont have one anymore.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Where to purchase Exotic Woods?

#2 Post by greybeard » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi Carl,

As I live on the eastern seaboard I do not know of suppliers in your area.

I have found Google search [Australia] to be helpful if you have the time and patience. Where possible find the botanical names before searching.

If you are after burles check out the wood turners, they are probably the best source for information. Machinery suppliers such as Carbatec may also be helpful.

Your state forrestry department is another source.

Finally let your fingers 'do the walking' and check the Yellow Pages.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

gilnockie

#3 Post by gilnockie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:45 pm

You could try mathews timber in Melbourne:

http://www.mathewstimber.com.au/store/page.pl?id=284

You could also purchase a copy of Australian Wood Review. At the back of the magazine they have several pages of classified adds and you will find several suppliers of local and exotic woods.

http://www.woodreview.com.au/

Failing that, buy a copy of Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. You will find several suppliers of really exotic timbers in that magazine.

http://www.tradbow.com/
Norman

Draw, anchor, loose.

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:23 pm

hillbilly WA wrote:Hey Guys
I was just wondering if anyone knew where in Perth, or WA, i could get some exotic woods. I want some desert ironwood and a burl of some type, and will try other woods that i like the look of.
So if anyone knows of a place that sells exotic woods in Perth, i would love to know where!
Also, if i can't find a place in Perth, where would you recommend i buy from to get it shipped to WA?
Thanks, Carl
If you live in Perth try Carbatec Perth as a starter
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

hillbilly WA

#5 Post by hillbilly WA » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks very much for the replies guys, just two days ago i asked another archer/bowyer and he reccommended carbatec.
Will try and get down there soon.
Carl
I did have a signature... It was a very good one in fact... It made me laugh... But i lost it... So i dont have one anymore.