Knife Laws in Perth?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

hillbilly WA

Knife Laws in Perth?

#1 Post by hillbilly WA » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:44 pm

Gday guys
I was just wondering if you knew about knife laws in Australia, particularly Perth.
Because when i was younger i always kept one or two pocket knives on me, but i stopped doing that because someone told me it was illegal. So i was just wondering if you guys knew if it is possible for me to carry a knife (a folder) in my pocket while im in public, or a place like the city. Also, im only talking about holding knives, not about which ones are permitted.
Thanks, Carl
I did have a signature... It was a very good one in fact... It made me laugh... But i lost it... So i dont have one anymore.

MaylandL

Re: Knife Laws in Perth?

#2 Post by MaylandL » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:03 am

G'day Carl

Check out http://www.slp.wa.gov.au and search for Weapons Act 1999 and Weapons Regulation 1999. Its talks about prohibited and controlled weapons. The regulations give a list of controlled and prohibited weapons and folding pocket knives are not included in the list. Essentially the Act (sections 6 and 7 mainly) says, you can't own/carry prohibited weapons but you do need a lawful reason to be carrying a controlled weapon, like going to or coming back from martial arts training or the archery range. That being said, whilst owning and carrying a folding pocket knife is not illegal, waving it around in a threatening manner, showing it to cause fear and/or using it on someone will get you arrested (That's in Section 8 of the Act).

This is close to me and I have had to be read the act and regs because I have a weapons bag of knives, swords and sticks (wood and bamboo) for my Martial Arts training. All of my weapons are classified as controlled weapons. So if I was waving my bamboo training sword (shinai) in the middle of hay street for no other reason than I felt like or if I carried my metal sword unsheated in hay street, would get me arrested.

Btw, bows and arrows are classified as controlled weapons under the regulations and section 7 of the act applies. Interesting enough crossbows (except for pistol crossbows) in WA is only a controlled weapon and not classified as a prohibited weapon like in other states.

Its all commonsense.

Hope this helps.

Happy shooting :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

jape

Re: Knife Laws in Perth?

#3 Post by jape » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:20 am

Haven't heard from you here for ages Mayland!

I would also join AKC http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/akc-homepage.html
just in case you are stopped somewhere.

I got stopped by the Police in a general roundup of punters in a Melbourne St. after an assault somewhere. I always carried a pocket knife since a kid and they got really stroppy with me, despite the fact it had pencil streaks and paint on it, showing obvious practical usage. I was on my way back to the Rail Station from an art exhibition I was helping with and used the thing for a dozen reasons there, as we all do. They were going to kick sh*t out of me just for the hell of it despite the fact I was well dressed, cashed up and from out of town. Pigs. But I had the AKC card in my wallet and when the Senior Sergeant strolled over to see what the fun was about, he actually listened to me and patted me on the back for being a responsible knife user (!) and sent me on my way whereas the younger cops just felt like kicking someone on any excuse.

Happened once in UK, many years ago, same thing on the way home from overtime work as a carpenter. So you have to be aware that if the cops want you, they will do you, for whatever reason, and beat you up for arguing your case. Nature of cops, they get caught in their own nasty world. Understandable and shameful but true. Same the world over mate. I wouldn't carry one in my pocket in any town in this day and age. Mine is in the car, strapped under the seat, and it is now not a folder either, it grew up.