Broadheads: Which is the best?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

TradlongbowV

Broadheads: Which is the best?

#1 Post by TradlongbowV » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:56 pm

Hi everyone,I have tried two kinds of broadheads for hunting various game, but I have not been bowhunting long enough to make a good judgement. I can tell you that I used Ribtek broadheads on a large Philippine wild pig. It took three arrows to finish the job, all Easton Aluminiums (2117), and the Ribteks were all bent well out of shape upon recovery. I have used Outback Broadheads on jungle fowl, and they flew straight and true (even with straight fletching). They were recovered without damage, which is not surprising, since jungle fowl are small, lightweight animals. Other than these, I have no info on any others. What would you folks recommend as the best all around broadhead for a longbow shooter who uses 5/16" wood arrows and a 50# draw? My intended game would range from rabbits to axis deer, and perhaps the odd bush pig.
Regards,Glenn

Buford

Re: Broadheads: Which is the best?

#2 Post by Buford » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:31 pm

i'm not a hunter but have been along with guys who are and I must say i'm surprised to hear of ribteks bending? They look like they would be upto the task to me....
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Jaydo

#3 Post by Jaydo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:03 pm

im surprised to hear that the ribteks are bending on you, during a poor shot one time in my shed, i hit the brick wall behind my target, the shaft shattered, as i was shooting timber shafts, but the 145 gr ribtek i was tuning with was embeded into the brick wall, upto about the 2nd rib,

ive heard of the tuskers bending, as they are designed a bit different to the ribteks

never shot the supremes, i should get some :D

Jayden
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

Benny Nganabbarru

#4 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:57 pm

They all come a gutser from time to time. I've used Tusker and Ribtek successfully, but I've also had some horror stories with them. I haven't had a problem with Magnus, and yet another fellow has. My brother managed to bend a Grizzly 160 on a billy goat, would you believe. I could list my personal favourites - okay, I will; they're Magnus II 125 grain 2-bladers, and STOS 160 grain 2-bladers - but they are only my favourites because I happen to have made some great bowhunting memories with them. Ask another fellow, and you WILL get another answer. The best broadhead in the world will be the one you happen to have used successfully most often, after some (or no, if you use just one continuously) trial and error. Happy hunting and experimenting, and well-done on the pig! :D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:59 pm

G'day Glenn,

It think you will get a lot of different answers reagarding people's favourite broadheads. :D

I have been using Ribteks for approx 18 years and must say they are my favourite head. In the early years I had a few bend but Col changed his design in 1996 and I have never had a problem since. I use 190 grain heads most of the time but have used the 160 grain head a little with my self bows. I only use wood arras and my arra weights average around the 700 - 750 grain mark and I have taken dozens of animals with them.

Jeff

aaron

#6 Post by aaron » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:17 pm

I have been using Ribteks for 3years and never had a problem. But like all hunting ideas and advice what works for sum won't for others :D :D
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:16 pm

yep ribteks are the main broadie i use usually 190gr.but using 155 at the moment and at $1.60 each im happy with them

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:28 pm

The way I see it, broadheads will be a very minor expense on any sort of the hunting trip. Compared to the petrol costs and the other gear that's necessary, broadhead costs are insignificant, yet nothing else is probably as crucial as having a good dependable broadhead when you finally get to do what you're there for.

I have no reason to suspect that the Australian broadheads are in any way inferior to the much more expensive US manufactured broadheads. I have had some problems with some brands of Australian made broadheads with bending, but others, like Ribtek and Blackstump seem to be excellent. However, I'm more than happy to pay a little extra to buy a good strong broadhead with a 'triple' strength tip. I like those broadheads that have the ferrules that extend right to the tip, thereby giving you additional steel and strength in this crucial area should you have to penetrate any bone.

My favourites are exactly the same as Ben's, not just the brands, but the individual models and weights too. I've been using Magnus 125 grain 2 bladed broadheads for some time now and they're certainly very strong. More recently, I've been trying out some STOS 160 grainers and I'm extremely impressed with them. I think they're well worth the extra money.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

kerrille

#9 Post by kerrille » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:45 pm

I have used ribbys for 20yrs never had a prob also woodys outbacks are good too

...nev..
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

flyne

#10 Post by flyne » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:13 am

i use ribbys 190 on my wood's and outback supreams 160 on my carbons the only prob that i ever had with the ribbys was when i put them on a addapter and put them on alloys until i got a better fit adapter prob solved
Flyne
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Gringa Bows

#11 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:56 am

yep ribbies are the go imo and the money you save goes towards more fuel :lol:

losty

#12 Post by losty » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:55 am

Do you save money on ribbies these days? I was sure they were owned by yanks these day and going for the usual rate of abou 6 bucks a head.
There's no adventure in knowing where you are.

TradlongbowV

#13 Post by TradlongbowV » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:04 am

Thanks for the input, guys. Perhaps I should add that the climate in the Philippines is more moist and humid, even during the dry season, and most areas along the island coasts get a fair bit of salt seasoning in the humidity. Where I hunted that pig, it was raining heavily most of the time, and when the sun did poke out of the clouds, there was a steamy heat that permeated the local environment. My arrows and ribteks had been exposed to this kind of climate for a long time prior to the hunt, and knowing that car bodies made of sheet steel corrode fairly quickly in our climate, this may have been a factor in my experience with ribbys. Might be different now, since the climate here in the bottom end of Oz is pretty dry. At least now, I have your ideas to try out for myself. Thanks very much.

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:40 am

nah Losty i paid a $1.50 each for the last lot i got

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:41 pm

I don't know what the problem was with the heads you had mate but I doubt the climate had anything to do with it. All the best with find a head you like.

Losty,

The Ribtek's are all Australian mate. They aren't however currently in production. Thankfully I know someone and should have a good supply to see me out. :D

Jeff

aaron

#16 Post by aaron » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:33 pm

Do you save money on ribbies these days? I was sure they were owned by yanks these day and going for the usual rate of abou 6 bucks a head.
100 for $150 shop around :roll:
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor

adam

#17 Post by adam » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:49 pm

The 1996 new design ribtek was and still is very hard to bend I love em still to this day.
My fav broadhead though is Blackstump vented heads, they love to penatrate bone with a chisel head and I seem to get the most use out of them over any other head. But the greatest broadhead won't bring down game if the shot isn't right.

Adam
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

gundy

#18 Post by gundy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:55 pm

I have never had any problems with Ribteks and still have a heap stashed away to this day.

Of late, I have been using the Magnus 3 blade 'Snuffers' with great success!

They certainly do bring game down fast!