Big Cats in OZ

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Slackshot

Big Cats in OZ

#1 Post by Slackshot » Mon May 26, 2008 5:12 pm

Fellow Archers
I have never believed in the big cat theory,i have friends who hunt and believe that they exist. I thought that seeing there are so many young and not so young guys and girls are running around with some sort of weapon that one would have met its demise by now,hmm.I was surfing the net the other day and found this.Type in (big cats) go to page two ,scroll down to (big cats not a tall tail) and read.Now i have a mate down that way and was talking to him last night,his place has a lot of deer on it and he wants me to come down and nail one soon while they still have antlers.So i mentioned about this article.....casually he says yeah ive seen the prints.Has anybody else on the site had experiences????My theory is one of you have.
Slackshot aka Gary Case

Sparra

Re: Big Cats in OZ

#2 Post by Sparra » Mon May 26, 2008 5:54 pm

So what did you find and where do we type in Big Cats????
Cheers...Sparra

There is always someone doing it tougher than you...

Slackshot

#3 Post by Slackshot » Mon May 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Sorry Sparra
Im not that good at computers.In the box up top where i says (search the web)on the ninemsn page or maybe try google or broadband.Update I just tried google and that works
Slackshot aka Gary Case

Coach

#4 Post by Coach » Mon May 26, 2008 6:37 pm

Best bet is to put the link here , type out the address in your address bar here :wink:

jape

#5 Post by jape » Mon May 26, 2008 6:48 pm

Couldn't find that link. But there's a few stories round central Vic, and locally round Glenlyon area. I've seem what I think was one, ran across the track in car headlights early hours of the morning. Not as big as I would have thought, but at least the size of a labrador and actually chasing a big ginger tom cat of the neighbours so I had a size comparison. It was light coloured and the tail was shorter, curled. Rear legs looked different too. When I was in the CFA, the mechanic of the local CFA reckoned he has sent fur samples from barbed fence wire to the Melbourne Museum and was told it was puma, but I never checked into that further. A local saw mill owner says he recorded big cat yowls from the bush behind him and they were also confirmed by Melbourne Zoo, but again, who knows .... lots of stories but little evidence and although I know what I saw, twice, I truly can't tell. The second time was across a big paddock to a dam, saw it, same pale colour, same size (I know the paddock well enough to judge). Again, the tail was curled at the end and it seemed to walk differently to a cat. We hear about once a year of a sighting but they vary from black panther to orange to fawn and from huge panther to dog size like mine so who knows?

Slackshot

#6 Post by Slackshot » Mon May 26, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi Jape
I thought it would be easy,but as i said (no computer skills).Coach said do this thanks coach .Basically the outcome is that the N.S.W dept of Ag sez that they could exist .Some people in high places (Vet,s extra) say yep!!.Now looking at the paper in front of me i will try the link bisso http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/ ... 00706.html Hows that Coach??We used to go hunting on a property and the lady that owned it said that she had a large cat on the veranda at intervals and it was Big.I used to think maybe it was the isolation.As i said im skeptical about this,but i find it interesting.Hope you get onto the site because you seen what you saw and it seems you are not alone.
Slackshot aka Gary Case

piggy

#7 Post by piggy » Mon May 26, 2008 10:12 pm

I know of a farmer who was finding his deer dead and wedged in the forks of trees, one night his dog was going off and grabbed his spotlight to see what believes to be a large cat sneaking through his paddocks.
After this incident he now has a rifle and 2 x spotlights sitting just inside his back door and he won't go out into the bush without his gun.
I'm not saying I believe his story but he must have seen something to make him carry his rifle at all times.