sailing canoes/kayaks

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

pommy chris

sailing canoes/kayaks

#1 Post by pommy chris » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:38 am

hi. i have a mate at work who is into sailing.he is building his own boat. a bruce roberts ocean going sail boat.
just recently he has purchased a canoe to mess about with.and tells me he intends to fit a sail to it.this is something i havent come across before and sounds good fun.
i have seen some posts on this site mentioning canoes.do any of you have them rigged for sailing? or have you come across any on your travels before.
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

GrahameA

#2 Post by GrahameA » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:59 am

I would suggest that you:

Start reading "Wooden Boat" magazine - especially back issues.

Try and get (borrow) a copy of, "Rushton and His Times in American Canoeing",

Try and get (borrow) a copy of any of John McGregor's work, this is a good start, "A Thousand Miles in the Rob Roy Canoe"

a link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_MacGr ... ortsman%29

Do a search on Project Gutenberg.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Sparra

#3 Post by Sparra » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:54 am

If you take a look at KFDU(Kayak Fishing Down Under)they have a section on kayak Sailing...Mostly SOT Kayaks but it will give you an idea..
Cheers...Sparra

Chuditch

#4 Post by Chuditch » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:01 pm

A family friend is right into R and D with all things sail and he made a ocean going kayak sailing rig. Side mounted centreboard and mast setup. Seemed to go alright when I had a go on it.
DjidiDjidi, Nullark Gullart Nyarrt.

pommy chris

#5 Post by pommy chris » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:04 am

cheers for the replys lads.weve had a look on you tube.and theres quite a bit to look at.seen a couple were they have fitted small pontoons for stability and seem to go pretty good.hopefully we will start getting into a bit better weather overhere.so by the time he gets it rigged up i will be able to go and have a day out with him.
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.