Rainy days...What do yuo do?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Zilant

Rainy days...What do yuo do?

#1 Post by Zilant » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:52 am

How do you occupy your self when its raining, like the past few days?

I inventory and maintenance on all my gear (bows, knives, pack…ext.). After IK have done all I can possibly do with my gear… I don’t really have anything I can do apart from go to work and sit around watching DVD’s.

flyne

#2 Post by flyne » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:58 pm

i just go hunting :wink:
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:12 pm

I take the time to relax , as there arent many rainy days here :D

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:01 pm

well first of all you wonder when the rain is going to stop. The Sunshine Coast has been awash of late with severe flooding all other the place. I was living on an island for a little while but it wasn't for too long before we rejoined the mainland.
So what did we do - well we put on the gumboots and raincoats and sloshed and puddle jumped our way down town (well truth be known it was only me jumping in and out the of puddles).
Steve started cresting a set of shafts and I did some sewing (when the power was on) when we got back. Watched a bit of tele and kicked back.
I'm not sure how Poppy faired, and Scrub Bulls archery course is probably rather soggy.
Anyway the sun came out of Sunday........woo hoo.
sue

Mischa_26

#5 Post by Mischa_26 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:09 pm

I practice techniques from all my martial arts. Do a bit of training on the punching bags
Too speak without thinking, is too shoot without aiming.

doc

#6 Post by doc » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:58 pm

sleep's good, tanks overflowing, so hot bath is nice...with the man of my choice, barista service to bathtub too.....my barista bloke does organic coffee, from tree to tastebuds..fresh is best. then of course there's always watching the floodwaters redirect the creek's course thru our archery range, and stack all the stop butts by the bottom fence, discovering new sink holes, springs etc around the camping area is novel, but after all the excitement of driving out of flooded valleys, past land slips etc, a good red wine, great company and a warm fire to share are the best things to enjoy on a rainy evening. lots of work cant be done in the rain, so enjoyment & hedonism are fine alternatives. bring on more rain!
Each day is a gift. Enjoy the Present.

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:06 pm

Making arrows is always a fun thing to do, or maybe messing around with some leathercraft project in the shed. Sometimes I shoot targets in the backyard. I've got a special under cover shooting position for just such occasions. :)

I don't usually hesitate to go hunting on wet rainy days, as sometimes they can be the most productive days of all. The wet forest litter makes for silent walking. The wet ground makes it easy to see sign. I remember one very wet miserable day, I was hunting red deer when I came across some very fresh hoof prints. The prints were huge, from a bull, as it turned out and they had little water in them indicating they were very fresh. I followed the prints for about 400 metres when I noticed a patch of bush that didn't look quite right. It was brown hair. I manovered a little closer for a better look when the bull twigged that there was something close. He had his back to me when he swung his head around and caught me out in the open. I froze, of course, but he just kept staring and staring. I was staring too, at those deadly looking horns. My eyeballs were scanning from side to side in search of the good climbing tree. Suddenly my bow seemed inadequate for the task at hand. The bull was about 4 metres away with just light scrub between us.

After a while I started to lose my balance, as I had been standing on just one foot. When I had to move a couple of inches to regain my balance the bull instantly recognised me for what I was. It roared. It's eyes almost popped right out of it's head!! My eyes almost popped right out of my head!! I started chewing on my heart. Luckily the bull decided to decamp immediately. It took off like a bulldozer, knocking down small shrubs and trees in the process. I could still hear the bush being parted and smashed for some time as the bull got further and further away. This was my first encounter with a fully wild scrub bull. :shock:

It sure beat watching TV, I can tell you! :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

ole_silver

#8 Post by ole_silver » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:16 pm

love it Mick......... i can just see ya standin like a stork..

it dont rain up here very much but when it does i just clean up the shed, take evrything up to the other end n then take it back where i got it from..
this way i pass the beer fridge twice as much.....

i love playing around with my bow gear or the servicing my fishing reels..

but i do have a big tv with dvd/vcr in the shed n rewatch my bow n arrow gear education tapes n discs.... trying to learn more...

cheers
Steve..
ole_silver1..................

"have a go now, 'fore ya can't have a go at all"

alicat

#9 Post by alicat » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:59 pm

Over here its always raining so i put on a good jacket and go hunting or 4wdriving.

The Gnome!

#10 Post by The Gnome! » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:12 pm

I do a bit of hunting when I can. Read a couple books, have a nice hot cuppa milo, sit back look at my kids and just enjoy life.