New to this.

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Nephew

New to this.

#1 Post by Nephew » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:51 pm

G'day. I've been wanting to try archery for a few years now, and for whatever reason haven't, but something about turning forty makes you change your priorities (did for me at least) so it's time. I have been told by a couple of folk that I should start with buying a Re curve and spend a year learning about various aspects of archery at a club. Would you people agree with that and have you heard of others taking up the bow this late in life?

Steven J

#2 Post by Steven J » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:11 pm

G'day Moreton,

What a great hobby to take up at any time of life. 40 is no older than you feel. It is only 9 years away for me, and I hope to be doing this for many decades yet.

There are so many aspects to archery that you can choose to get into. You can of course learn to shoot the gear that you buy, however you can also get into making your own equipment such as arrows, leather work for arm guards and quivers. You can even build your own bows.

I would surely advocate that you join a club to learn how to shoot. The sport may come naturally to you, however there are so many things that you can learn from others. You also get to make new friends too.

The bow you choose is a personal preference. Recurve bows are fine weapons but I love my longbows. Others feel the same about their equipment too. There are advantages and disadvantages of each type of bow design, but remember every bow is going to be more accurate than we will ever be. You will off course have to get to know your own gear and tune the arrows to the bows well - oh, and then practice regularly.

Welcome. Spend time browsing this site. Over time your questions will become more specific. You will find plenty of information in the archives on all manner of topics.

Steve

Poppy

#3 Post by Poppy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:15 am

Welcome to the world of archery young fella. I'm 50+ and know a few archers that are well into their 70s, its an sport/obsession for all ages.
Totally agree with what Steve said.
I tried everything but I ended up back with the simple stick and string (Trad), I found it to be the most rewarding. Plus we Trad folk are special people :wink:.
BTW where are you situated (area).
Welcome again
Paul

Jeffro

#4 Post by Jeffro » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:40 am

Gday mate, are you left or right handed?
There are usually a few bows for sale on here by members and you will get good advice on what is going to suit you.
Recurve or longbow its all good fun and if you use timber arrows it is enjoyable making them.
Any questions are always met with a comprehensive range of answers on here so it wont take you long to know how to do most everything :D

Jeff

Nephew

#5 Post by Nephew » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:14 am

Thanks a ton, fellas. I appreciate the advice, and the welcome. The closest club to me is at Belmont in Brisbane (I live on Coochiemudlo Island) and they're having a "come and try" day on Sun 16th Sep so I reckon that's my best bet for now. Once I feel confident I'd like to go down to North Albert Field Archers in Yatala and practice as much as possible with an eye on an eventual hunt. But for now, I just gotta get started. I'll keep an eye on the second hand board here and see if anything suitable for a beginner comes up.
Anyway, good onya's, and thanks a lot! Oh, yeah, and by the way, "Young Fella"?? Poppy, your a mate for life all ready!! :wink: :lol:
One last thing...I'm right handed and I think right eye dominant.
Last edited by Nephew on Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Allan

#6 Post by John Allan » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:57 pm

Moreton,
As others have said, join a club and do the beginners course. Do this before you buy any gear. When you do the course they will teach you the basics of shooting with unsighted and sited bows also you will have to shoot left or right handed depending on which eye is dominant. After the course you will have a reasonable idea just what to look for in a bow to match your needs. You will also have the advice of the coach and club members. A lot of places will sell you whatever bow you pick off the shelf regardless. You need a bow set up for you with arrows to match. If you get the basics right to start with then good results will come a lot sooner than if you follow the trial and error method. It will also save a lot of money spent on equipment that is not right for you.

Happy shooting
John

Nephew

#7 Post by Nephew » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:23 am

Thanks John, actually, I've signed on for the beginners course at Belmont and it starts in Oct. Very much looking forward to getting started, I can tell ya! So, it seems my best bet is to hold off buying until I've completed the course. I imagine the club would have basic equipment to practice in my own time as much as possible with until then?

Abaci

#8 Post by Abaci » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:33 am

Moreton,
I only took up archery at the start of the year. I didn't do a beginners course as Matt my b/f had been doing it for quite a while. I bought a relatively cheap recurve (samik mind takedown recurve at around $250 if I can remember) with an extra $200 spent on 8 arrows, finger tab, hunting sight and so on... It didn't take me too long to figure out how much I enjoyed archery and it wasn't long before I ordered my own martin Savannah long bow which is my pride and joy.

I personally went to the longbow as after looking at all the other archers with their compounds or even a recurve with all the gear (long pin sight, clicker thing, stabliser and so on) I wondered where the challenge was. Anyone with half a brain can shoot a target with a magnified sight and a bow that you can hold for ages at full draw... but shooting barebow (whether it's longbow, recurve, horsebow, flat bow, self bow...) is a fun challenge as is making your own arrows and gear (if you're into that).

Anyway, that's just my thoughts and how I got into it. If you don't have a good friend to help you out with your gear, a beginners course is the next best thing as is this website where everyone here's pretty nice and will be able to collectively answer any question about trad archery.

Good luck in October.
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

Keen as Mustard

#9 Post by Keen as Mustard » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:07 pm

Anyone with half a brain can shoot a target with a magnified sight and a bow that you can hold for ages at full draw...
Well ummmm its just a personal preference...alot can be said about people that shoot something that went out in the dark ages...

but we all love the sport that we do,,,, and no matter what discipline you shoot they all take skill to master....

Cheers

KAM
A BAD DAYS HUNTING IS BETTER THAN A DAY SHOPPING WITH THE WIFE!!!!

Abaci

#10 Post by Abaci » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:54 pm

Mustard,

Didn't mean it to sound like compound shooters don't have any skills. All archery takes concentration. I just personally find it more satisfying being able to hit a target without using the latest technology.

I'm happy to be a trad shooter is all.
Nokhoi Khori! ("Hold the dog!" in Mongolian)

Coach

#11 Post by Coach » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:27 pm

Abaci ,, at the risk of being shot down , I agree with ya :lol: 8) Anyone with half a brain can do it :wink: I too am not putting compound shooters down in any way ,, gee ,, I used to shoot one :wink: It's a personal thing ,, IE , how far do you want to push yourself and test your own skills etc . Plus the Trad bow is a lot more enjoyable to carry in the hills :D
.alot can be said about people that shoot something that went out in the dark ages...
without the original bows ,, you wouldnt have compounds today , something to think about :wink: It's all good :D

Gringa Bows

coochie

#12 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:34 pm

giday morton i use to fish around coochie 30 years ago when there was only a couple of houses there i guess its changed a bit since then iwas living at capalaba in those days

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:09 am

Mrning Moreton

So how was your "Come and Try" day at Mt Petrie?
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nephew

#14 Post by Nephew » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:33 am

G'Day boys! Yeah, Coochie sure has changed since then LB, mostly in the last six or seven years. That's when The Money found the place, and you can imagine what's happened to it since then!! :x :roll: It's becoming just like any other suburb mate. I can't understand why folk move here , and then lobby with their money to change it into the mainland, y'know? To me, it's one of those places I just can't think of as an "Investment Opportunity"(believe it or not, there are FIVE real estate agents here now, on an island 1.5x0.5 kms!!), but I'm in the minority here these days, so that's that.
I had a great day at Mt Petrie thanks, Grahame. Trevor Stubbs gave us a two hour tuition, just enough to see if you want to continue with it, then I start their two day induction course on Oct13/14 so's I can join. It's predominantly a target club, (Trev doesn't seem to keen to take me to their field archery area for whatever reason. He actually seems like he wants to discourage me from hunting!) but it's close by, I can get there on public transport (currently don't own a vehicle, it's a long, boring story why)) and I can go there and practice heaps during the week. Eventually, once I buy a car, I'd like to sign up with Nth Albert Field Archers. Have you been over at Mt Petrie before, Matey?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

GrahameA

#15 Post by GrahameA » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:36 am

Morning Moreton
I had a great day at Mt Petrie thanks, Grahame. Trevor Stubbs gave us a two hour tuition, just enough to see if you want to continue with it, then I start their two day induction course on Oct13/14 so's I can join. It's predominantly a target club, (Trev doesn't seem to keen to take me to their field archery area for whatever reason. He actually seems like he wants to discourage me from hunting!) but it's close by, I can get there on public transport (currently don't own a vehicle, it's a long, boring story why)) and I can go there and practice heaps during the week. Eventually, once I buy a car, I'd like to sign up with Nth Albert Field Archers. Have you been over at Mt Petrie before, Matey?
Good to hear you enjoyed yourself. Good to hear you are going back for a second round as well.

Nth Albert is a different sort of club - but still an excellent club. Your difficulty will come when you make the decision on the style of Archery you want to shoot.

Been to Mt Petrie a few times. :roll:
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.