Why Do We Look But Say Nothing?

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Graeme K

Why Do We Look But Say Nothing?

#1 Post by Graeme K » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi All
Its raining and I guess I am in a pondering mood.

The question is why do Australians look at the threads but say very little.
I often notice that hundreds of people will view a thread but you may only get half a dozen replies. I realise that sometimes you just dont want to get involved in a particular conversation but I figure that is a minority of cases. So what is it about us as a society that makes us so reluctant to contribute.

I am just as guilty of this as anyone and find that I usually only contribute if I think that I have something significant to add but when you think about it that reduces the interaction to the point where the site is often almost inactive. And at the end of the day you dont have to say much to keep the conversation going, it really only takes a few words to let others know what you think and this may well evoke a response in someone else.

I guess my reasoning in all this is if you want to have something to look at then you sort of need to do your bit to make it work. For my part I am going to make a conscious effort to try and reply to all the threads I read.

It will be interesting to see how many people read this but do not reply.

In the end it may just be that we are a bunch of voyeurs.

Maybe our motto should be " I like to watch "

Graeme

hillbilly WA

#2 Post by hillbilly WA » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:49 pm

I like to watch :wink: ...

Wait a second :shock: ...

:D

Good point Graeme

Cya
I did have a signature... It was a very good one in fact... It made me laugh... But i lost it... So i dont have one anymore.

bsrecurve

#3 Post by bsrecurve » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:24 pm

I usually only contribute if I think that I have something significant to add
....that's me.

but i do see your point mate.

Coach

#4 Post by Coach » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:32 pm

I have often thought about this myself , not only on here but on my site as well.
I have also noticed that some only reply to something I have said to try to contradict me etc , yet when I put up a Hunting pic/story , the same people have nothing to say . :roll:

I usually have a "well done" or "that looks good" comment for a lot of posts ,, but other posts just don't excite me or I know nothing of the subject , so I just "look" :wink:

Benny Nganabbarru

#5 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:38 pm

G'day Graeme!

I wonder if Australians are more inclined toward the adage of "Have more than thou showest; speak less than thou knowest"?

I do know that, from browsing the Yankee Leatherwall, much of the comments there are enough to make one puke, but perhaps it is a cultural thing.

So, short of finding the perfectly-balanced middle ground, I'd prefer to err on the side of not-enough-said, than to err on the side of far-too-much-said-and-with-poor-manners-beside (as in the aforementioned Leatherwall).

Although, Tradgang.com seems to have that perfectly-balanced middle ground, as a website where the polite Yankees (and a few lost Australians) "hang out".

So, if we could just emulate that here, that'd really be something!

Good hunting (and happy chatting) to all!

Ben

Poppy

#6 Post by Poppy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:22 pm

I must admit I'm one of those people that visits the site every day or two, but occasionally posts/replies.
I read most posts and find them generally interesting, but I choose not to comment, Guess I don't have a lot to say. (Closed mouth gathers no feet)
On the other hand Graeme did you allow for the guests that visit the site in large numbers.
It would be interesting to see how many members compared to guests visit each day?
Cheers
Paul

Graeme K

#7 Post by Graeme K » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:30 pm

Hi Paul

Yes that is an interesting point --- I had not thought of people who visit and can not post, undoubtedly Jeff could tell us and if he reads this I would be interested to know but my guess is that most views are members.

Graeme

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:00 pm

Graeme

16:03 Sunday

Right at this moment there are 4 registered user on-line and 21 visitors.

Forum Statistics

Number of posts: 42594
Posts per day: 28.62
Number of topics: 4374
Topics per day: 2.94
Number of users: 909
Users per day: 0.61
Last edited by GrahameA on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Hood

#9 Post by Hood » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:01 pm

I'm guilty I look but don't always comment for various reasons.

Some times I'll have a quick look at a topic, then I either have to go out/leave for work or the Master calls. Then I leave the page with out commenting and then I forget to go back and comment (or forget what I was going to say :roll: :oops: ).

Or I simply have nothing to add to that topic.

Other times as I'm sure others have and do do is that your waiting for a few others to comment before you add your 2c worth.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

ole_silver

#10 Post by ole_silver » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:05 pm

i like to look at every thing and like commenting the "well dones " just like this from coach..

I usually have a "well done" or "that looks good" comment for a lot of posts ,, but other posts just don't excite me or I know nothing of the subject , so I just "look"

but i do know i hold back a bit thinking i will catch it next round...

any, best regards to all
Steve..
ole_silver1..................

"have a go now, 'fore ya can't have a go at all"

Al Kidner

#11 Post by Al Kidner » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:50 pm

I'm mostly guilty of this "Looking and not posting" type behaviour. But in my defence I've been working away a lot of late and have just taken up a new position in town so one would think he should be around a lot more... :wink: .

I like to consider myself as a thinker and reader rather than someone running off at the lip like some others I know, hence not posting...just reading.

We have some talented people on here as well as other web sites so I gather all my info/gossip from all of the above, with coffee in hand mostly so that makes it hard to type..... :lol:

A.K.

puk

#12 Post by puk » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:46 pm

I have also noticed that some only reply to something I have said to try to contradict me etc
No they don't!

Puk.

sorry, couldn't resist, i was just talking with a mate about the Monty Python "argument" sketch a few days ago. :lol:

robbbo

#13 Post by robbbo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:56 pm

Like a lot of others here I read the posts,but do not comment a lot for various reasons. 1 /There is a lot of talented people here that I enjoy reading their posts but do not have enough knowledge to reply2/On the hunting scene again I do not have a lot of knowledge like some of the othersand again leave it to more experienced members3/I will reply if I think what I am doing is correct in my mind.

I have learnt a lot from JUST reading the posts and one day hope that I can help with others posts from what I have learned myself.
on my own defence I also work 12 hours a day 7 days a week and have been doing so for the last 4 months and when I come home enjoy the down time of reading these posts.Hoping to contribute more in the future

Robbo
Life is not measured by the breaths we take,
But by the moments that take our breath away.

Steven J

#14 Post by Steven J » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:20 pm

Great idea for a post Graeme. I hope that this sparks a little more passion from our members, and encourages our guests to become members.

Having gone down the road of building bows, I like to give encouragement to others trying as I know how difficult attempting new designs can be. In offering encouragement I hope that we don't turn OZBOW into the mutual admiration society! Where I understand (or think I do) I try to offer constructive critisism as this is how we all improve.

When it comes to hunting I have nothing to offer except for comments that reveal my jealous thoughts, as I have not attempted this adventure yet.

In reference to the Leatherwall that was mentioned by Ben earlier. Lets never let OZBOW head down the road of the regular posts on that site that follow the lines of --> "I was wondering if my 100lb longbow shooting 900 grain arrows is suitable for hunting rabbits?" These threads make me laugh :)

Steve

jcm

The pond is still but moving too

#15 Post by jcm » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:30 pm

The pond is still
Beneath the surface there is movement.
Some watch,some comment but what is wonderful is the
action that the thread may do in stimulating the reader/s to create that
ultimate bow,set of arrows,quiver, armguard,flemish string,sharing that hunt,photo ,put out another thread.
Keep the threads coming sometimes we can have interesting strings.
Good Night GK... Thank you for sharing your ponder.
John

Arra Slinger

#16 Post by Arra Slinger » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:46 am

very good thread,,, I have to admit im one of the ones
that much rather look than reply yet enjoy all the comments
that others have to give and really do admire the guys that take the time to
be the regular “posters” ever if its just a well done etc etc
ill try to reply a bit more but man I wish I listened in school and
learnt how to type faster and spell better :) (this only took 1 hour to write :lol: 8) )

catchas later

clinglish

#17 Post by clinglish » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:02 am

It may have taken you an hour arraslinger but your spelling and grammar are impecable. :D
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

wysper

#18 Post by wysper » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:04 am

i have a simple reason for not posting much.
This is all very new to me and I feel I don't have much to add (at this stage)
My interest here is knives and bows - I am pretty sure I am about to sell/trade my compound and get a longbow.
I don't hunt, so I have nothing to add there either.

I hope as I get more confident I will post more, people here seem pretty friendly and ready to help and that is encouraging.

But for now, I am trying to absorb knowledge and giving it a whirl in real life before posting my 2 c worth.

(good topic too!!)

John Allan

#19 Post by John Allan » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:59 pm

This is a bit deep for us stick benders.
What makes us tick?
Well after looking at a lot of other sites on the subject I feel that we pass more real information on what counts than any of the others. The less dross you have to wade through to get at the gems the better. As others have observed it's cultural. Say it if you think it is valid or forever hold thy peace!

Regards
John

Dennis La Varenne

#20 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Clinglish,

Two c's in impeccable. :D

Arra Slinger,
You may have missed out on some schooling, but we can understand what you are saying just the same. There is a spell checker at the posting window to help if you need it. Just write the way you talk to people. It will come out pretty right. No-one judges you on that account.

If you need a hand with grammar and spelling, you can send your post to one of the administrators to check through for you if you feel a bit uncomfortable and we are happy to tidy it up for you and send it back to you for posting.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Arra Slinger

#21 Post by Arra Slinger » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:15 am

Thanks for the offer Dennis ill take you up on it. I have a little article half done about some special arrows I got given me so ill flick it over to you when she’s done if that ok.
I must admit I owe these bowhunting sites and the mag big time, as over the past id say four years my spelling and grammar have just improved out of site,, I used to be so embarrassed writing but yer now even though I still aint flash im sure people get the gist.
Thanks again
Ben

ed

#22 Post by ed » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:19 pm

I am also guilty of this, but I think it is not such a bad thing. I will reply if I have an opinion that I think needs expressing or may contribute in some way.
For the most part I like to read what others have said and to ponder it. Not being overly quick to come to an opinion generally, and happy to learn from others.

Dennis La Varenne

#23 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:34 pm

Ben,

I have helped a few people with editing material over the years, and it is important not to change what they say so that it does not read as though they were writing it.
That can be difficult at time, but it is really being honest to the integrity of the person who is doing the writing.

As Grahame A wrote on another thread, some people try to write with something serious to say and are honest in their intention but can make themselves look less intelligent than they really are just because they were unfortunate enough to do well at English as school.

At a later age, you are not a lost cause if you missed out at school. Just read anything which interests you and try to increase the amount you read.

Novels are excellent at teaching you your own language without your realising it because the English used is usually of a higher level and the use of words more creative with subtle shades of meaning that people don't use in everyday speech . . . and ALWAYS keep the dictionary handy.

Regards, and thanks for your trust,

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

Coach

#24 Post by Coach » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:54 pm

I really admire people that admit they have a hard time spelling etc ,, but in the long run ,, we generally get the message /story across :D So that shouldnt stop people posting .
What does peev me off a bit , is this Text /MSN talk /spelling from our youngsters , IE "CYA L8er" "See you later" type stuff :roll: What are our teachers teaching these days ? Or is is it just a by -product of the internet ?
Anyway , I digress ,, I like reading the stories /posts :D

Dennis La Varenne

#25 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:45 pm

Coach,

Hear, hear! It does take a lot of guts and in having those guts, it shows that they want to do something about it.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne