A kiwi in your midst

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

wysper

A kiwi in your midst

#1 Post by wysper » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:26 pm

Hi All

I am in Hamilton, New Zealand. I am a member of Riverglade Archers.
I am looking to get into shooting a longbow. I am currently shooting compound (finger release). I like the idea of the longbow, no sights, no trigger, just me, the bow, the arrow and the target..

I will be trying to suck up as much advice and knowledge as possible before buying a longbow, I will keep shooting compound as well. A foot in each camp :mrgreen: So there will be many questions. But I will try to read as much on the forum as I can too!

I cant wait to get in to it.
Are there any other kiwis on the forum?

cheers
wysper

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:04 pm

Welcome to the site mate. There are a few other Kiwis on here but they have been quiet of late.

All the best with finding a longbow.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:12 pm

Hi wysper,
Welcome to the forum.
Before buying a longbow it would adviseable (if possible) to try different bows at your club. More importantly don't over bow yourself as you are holding all the weight at full draw.
Cheers,
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

wysper

#4 Post by wysper » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:58 am

Hi Daryl

Good advice, unfortunately there are not longbow shooters at my club.
But NZ being the small place it is, I am sure I will find one some where.

cheers
Greg

Iceman

#5 Post by Iceman » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi Wysper
Welcome to the site.I live in Auckland and belong to the Massey Archery Club.At our club we have about 40% of our members shooting Longbows or Recurves.I agree that You should try out different weight bows before buying. :?: I have 2 bows with a weight difference of 13lb's.I mainly shoot a 40lb Samich as I do not practise enough to be able to shoot my 53lb bow consistently.We are having the Hincho Memorial late August and quite a few people shoot longbows there.Our club also has the Massey Safari which is a 2 day shoot which incorparates the NZ longbow Champs which is in February each year.In November this year we are holding the Pacific 3D champs held over 2 days.This is going to be a really big comp as it is being run with a lot of Kiwi and Aussie competitors.All classes of bow will be shot so if You can come up and check out the bows. :D :D :D
Cheers
Ray

wysper

#6 Post by wysper » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:17 am

That sounds like a good idea.
I will see if i can make it.
We have a good number of recurve shooters at our club too.
But I am more interested in longbow than recurve.

cheers
wysper

Jim Comeaux

#7 Post by Jim Comeaux » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:24 pm

I'm a foreigner here too and in another life I also shot the compound with fingers. Since coming over from "the dark side" I have found that traditional bows are so much more fun to shoot. It takes the technical side out of the process and leaves just yourself and the shot to deal with. I may not be all that good with the bow but, for me, it's two sticks and a string and I'll just have to learn the rest. I prefer the recurve, but I do own one longbow. It is a Howatt Custom (64" AMO, 60# @ 28"). I hope that one day I'll be good enough with it to hunt with it. I do hunt with my recurves, but the longbow is considerably more challenging to me.
There are 10 kinds of People in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.