Robin Hood, 2 arrows at once trick

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

jape

Robin Hood, 2 arrows at once trick

#1 Post by jape » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:18 pm

I am just foolish enough that I tried Robin Hood's trick of firing two arrows at once, holding his longbow across his hips and nocking an arrow either side of his hand.
First time, one arrow fell off, the other went alright but wobbled.
Second time, one arrow went sideways and hit the house, the other flew quite true.
I got more careful with the nocks on the right bit of serving so they didn't slip and concentrated, so third time they both flew about forty metres and actually landed about a meter apart. So maybe he could have done something similar and cut two ropes as he did in the TV show!
However, you can't draw far back holding a bow like that (which still would have had his trick work as he was only twenty yards or so away from the two ropes he hit). It is difficult to get both arrows nocked properly as you don't have a grip on them so they rest on the bowstring, thus they can shift if the nock isn't just right.
The fourth time, one arrow flew sideways again and span round the back of the bloody bow, the fletch somehow sliced through the web between two of my fingers.
So I have proven he could have done it.
Also that I am an idiot. It is dangerous.
jape

longbow steve

#2 Post by longbow steve » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:18 pm

Can you try making out with the peasants daughter and doing a back flip of the roof aswell? Anonymous :lol:

Poppy

#3 Post by Poppy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:50 pm

At least you can say you can hit the side of a house (similar to Barn) :lol:
Cheers
Paul

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:42 pm

Hmmm..........

A better place to start.

Byron Ferguson "Incredible Shots" Vol' I and II

And just to add an appetiser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KMu9VdKXKc
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

jape

#5 Post by jape » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:46 pm

longbow steve wrote:Can you try making out with the peasants daughter and doing a back flip of the roof aswell? Anonymous :lol:
Well I did the back flip a few years back and thats why I have five discs gone and have so much time to fool around!

As for making out, I liked the ex-sheriff's daughter, Marion, but she stuck a small knife in a guard's neck with a throw at ten metres and can handle a bow better than me (did you notice how she drew the arrow, 2 above, 1 below?) - I like 'em feisty but shes a bit dangerous, even for me!

Was the blond peasant's daughter the lass from Doctor Who? Looked like her .. she gets around in time as well as space then!

Actually I have hit the barn (through the roof), so there, as well as the glass door of the shed, the wheelie bin and the house, oh and the car but that was a ricochet off the watering can. Near the target is the safest place to be.
jape

erron

#6 Post by erron » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:23 pm

I thought the story was from Doctor Who...

:?

Talusadur

#7 Post by Talusadur » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:37 pm

You know< I was hoping that the English Production company that did this version of Robin Hood would get it right. The accents are correct, not like Good Ol Errol or Kevin Costner, but the fantasy of two arrows at once....spare me. I am a medievalist and run an Historical re-enactment group and if I could do those things I would be able to charge good money. Did any of you also find the sword throwing incident where he clocked two blokes at the same time a little disconcerting?

perry

#8 Post by perry » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:13 pm

I missed the first episode - bugger - still reckon the late 60's/70's cartoon of Rocket Robin Hood was the best version , his boomerang arrow , his rocket arrow and his hog tie arrow where my favourites. Howard Hill does the two arrow trick on a short film called Shorts on Arrows .It of course inspired me to try- fiddly but not that hard really I have seen other caboolture trad shooters playing with the trick as well - we must be a talented mob up here .
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#9 Post by GrahameA » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi Perry

Hill also does it in "Cavalcade of Archery" as well - I seem to remember. However the sequence in the tv series was different. Bow horizontal and arrows either side of hand.

Ferguson does it using two nocking point and two arrow rests with both arrows above the hand.

IMHO you could replicate it using the Ferguson method and place the bow hand between the arrow rests.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.