New toy

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

piggy

New toy

#1 Post by piggy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:48 pm

Having never shot a long bow I thought I should give it a go so I purchased a nice Howard Hill Ruffed Grouse long bow with red elm and bamboo limbs, ebony riser and elk antler tips @53#.
My first shot was about 1" high @15m second shot 2" to the left @ 15m the next 2 were on the money and the shafts were touching each other.
Well the third shot I got a bit of string slap near the wrist and never having this happen with the recurve I didn't think much of it, the next shot WHACK on the arm again mmmmmm better get the arm guard out ( bright spark I am) well that fixed that problem.
Shooting well now I thought I would give the Flu Flu's a try.
First shaft had a bit of the fletching at the front peeling off but not a problem with the curve, so shoot away and a lovely cut appears along my hand.
Well you would have thought that I would stop at that but no not me did it again ( just call me Homer) so thought I would give you all a bit of a laugh at my expense.
Generally speaking though a nice little bow and a bit of practice and I will be out hunting in no time.

Cheers

Paul

Sparra

#2 Post by Sparra » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:52 pm

I'm looking for a longbow myself...where did you pick it up from???
Sparra...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:17 pm

Arrgh a longbow, now ya talkin!!! :wink: :lol:

I tried one and loved it and I'm still shooting one nearly 23 years later. :D

Jeff

piggy

#4 Post by piggy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:26 pm

Mate just have to work on some wood shafts now and I'm set :D

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:37 pm

Wood shafts, only way to go. :D

Jeff

jindydiver

#6 Post by jindydiver » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:43 pm

Where's the pics mate :D
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:43 pm

Piggy

I thought you were a one bow man. :D It's good to have choices I reckon. I'll bet your Howard Hill is very nice indeed. One of the blokes at my local club just bought himself a new Howard Hill and it's a very nice bow indeed.

You will now be able to shoot in the Geelong Longbow Challenge coming up in a couple of weeks. You really ought to try to make it, as you would have a ball. It would be great to finally catch up with you there. 8)

I'd be interested to see a couple of photos of your bow, if you have some.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

piggy

#8 Post by piggy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:08 pm

Hey Mick, I was down your way on the weekend, every time I drive up past the Mt Moriac pub I think I should call in and say G'day

jindydiver

#9 Post by jindydiver » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:37 am

I like the antler tips. Does that mean you can use fast ftight or some other hitec string material?
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Axe

#10 Post by Axe » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:57 am

got a bit of string slap
Have had the same experience with any longbow I have shot and like yourself never with a recurve... but I still own one :D

Good luck with yours :)
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"

piggy

#11 Post by piggy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:07 pm

Jindy I think it is there for looks. I contacted Howard Hill bows and they said I can shoot with fast flight string but it is recomended to use dacron.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:29 pm

Just a couple of comments after reading the above posts. I think if you are shooting a longbow (not the deflex/reflex semi-recurve type bows) then you will have the string contacting with your forearm. This is because of the way you should hold a longbow as opposed a recurve and also the longbow has a lower brace height.

I know I have said it numerous times before but we have been using Fastflight and now Dyna Flight flemish twist strings on our bows for 15 - 17 years and have not had any problems. We even use them on very fine tipped self bows and no reinforcing. IMO a properly made flemish twist string from the modern materials will not harm your bow or lession its life. Remember the linen strings of old were also non stretch - just no where near as strong as strings made from the modern materials.

Jeff

Mick Smith

#13 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:37 pm

piggy

Drop in next time you're passing. We'll have a chat over a cuppa. :)

It's funny, I've often experienced the same thing when first testing a new bow. I don't know why, but they shoot like a dream initially and you think you've finally managed to find a "magic" bow that shoots straight. The only problem for me, has been the "honeymoon" only lasts a short time and then I'm shooting back in my normal mediocre way. I don't know why this is so, but it happens to me time after time. At least it proves the bow is accurate, even if the shooter isn't. :D

I manage to hit my bow arm with the string much more often with my longbows than what I ever do with my recurves. I think this is partly due to the lower brace height of my longbows, plus I tend to cant them more than when shooting my recurves.

I really like your new bow! :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

piggy

#14 Post by piggy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:46 pm

Thanks Mate,
I will let you know when down your way next.

I'm shooting a 640gn shaft with my 59# = 10.84grains per inch with my black widow I am concerned that shooting a new bow will upset my accuracey between bows.

53# x 10.84 = 574.52
If I shoot an arrow which weighs 574gns should that arrow have a similar fligth path.
Just a thought but I want to know is it worth testing this out to see ?

Cheers

Paul

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:00 pm

piggy

I usually do a lot of stuffing around to ensure all my bows shoot pretty well in the same place. I try lots of different arrows before I settle on a combination that gives the results I'm looking for.

Sometimes I'll change my style slightly, like canting the bow more to help achieve the same point of impact as my other bows. They must shoot where I'm looking. I'm not happy until this is what happens. Most times it's pretty straightforward.

The only way of making this happen is good old "trial and error". I sometimes change the weight of the points. Othertimes I will cut the shafts down slightly to stiffen the spine. If a set of arrows simply won't perform out of one bow, they usually will out of another. That's one advantage of owning a heap of bows. :D

In my experience with longbows, you need an arrow that's spined spot on for the bow. If it's too stiff, it will shoot to the left and if it's too soft it will shoot anywhere, but most often to the right.

As far as the trajectory is concerned, I think you will find that the longbow will shoot noticably lower at all ranges when compared to your recurve of the same draw weight. I think it would be a mistake to go for lighter arrows in an attempt to compensate to get the same trajectory. Longbows and heavy arrows are a good way to go. You might have to just get used to the different trajectories by shooting them both often.

Mick

piggy

#16 Post by piggy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks Mich I was concerned the arrows wer to light @574gns but it shoots a 700gn arrow well I just don't want it to effect how I shoot my recurve as I'm donig well with it.

Cheers

Paul

piggy

#17 Post by piggy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:01 pm

Can anyone tell me where I can buy heavy field points for wood shafts.
145gn, 160gn and 190gn or around those weights

Thanks

Paul

robbbo

#18 Post by robbbo » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:09 pm

G/day mate try Wildwood Archery i know they can get them in for you
Robbbo
Life is not measured by the breaths we take,
But by the moments that take our breath away.

piggy

#19 Post by piggy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:12 pm

Thanks Robbo

Paul

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:29 pm

John at AMSO128 may have the heavy field points in stock as well.

Jeff

humphrey

#21 Post by humphrey » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:55 am

nice bow paul 8)
if you have problems sourcing field points, 3 rivers has plenty of different styles and weights to choose from, and shipping might not be too bad cause they could post them in an envelope.

memo

#22 Post by memo » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:31 am

Piggy,
I have purchased 160gn field points from Townsville Indoor Archery. They said they can order anyting from 3 Rivers who also have 190 gn points for woods.
Memo

piggy

#23 Post by piggy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:48 pm

Thanks all.

Cheers

Paul

ole_silver

#24 Post by ole_silver » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:14 pm

Hi Piggy..

very nice bow mate...

yeh, i had John send some brass points.. look very smick on the wood shafts..

cheers
Steve..
ole_silver1..................

"have a go now, 'fore ya can't have a go at all"