Riser wood

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Troppo Sticks

Riser wood

#1 Post by Troppo Sticks » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Has any one used American walnut, furniture grade to make a riser. I have not used it before as most of my bows have bubinga or local iron wood or blood wood handles.

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:01 pm

TS

I've never made a bow personally, but I know there's a number of bows currently available with American walnut as an optional riser timber. One of my bows, a Chekmate Attila recurve, has black walnut limbs and there's certainly nothing wrong with the way they perform or look.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:39 am

Hi, I have used American Black walnut in my longbow risers, comes up nice, grey/black in colour. The weight of the walnut I have used is comparable to Australian Blackwood, similar workability.
I dont know about its suitability for recurve risers but correctly laminated I am quite sure it would be fine.
I am going to give it a go in limbs soon as the peice I purchased recently has a great grain pattern to it. Steve

Troppo Sticks

riser wood

#4 Post by Troppo Sticks » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:14 pm

Thanks steve, I will try it.