okay, I am hooked...

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

gundy

okay, I am hooked...

#1 Post by gundy » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:06 am

being relatively new to traditional gear, I chose to shoot a local comp on the weekend with the longbow.

Having lately been very 'hot & cold', I was really unsure as to how I would go, but bugger it, I was going to have a go anyway.

I made a goal for myself and after the first round (3 arrow ABA), I had beaten it by 14 pts. I was happy, but man, I threw some very strange shots down those lanes and at most times, all 3 arrows...Well, it was not going to look good for the 1 arrow I thought, but hey, I am learning, right?

The one arrow was soon over and I was only down from my original score by 6 pts - I was happy. Happy because I was finding my own mistakes during the first round and was reasonable at correcting them on the second.

Now after the 'pack up', I tackled the practice range and low and behold, found the one bloody thing that was making my arrows spray left and right! It was my grip. All I did was lower my grip on the bow 1/4" and that was all it took to get near perfect line. Now being extremely happy with my shots from 20yds and closer, I moved out further and further. WOW! I was having the time of my life! I was actually going okay on the distance and brain, eye & hand co-ordination was actually working - pick a spot, pick a spot....sweet! A little change in stance, a litte change in canting the bow more and wow, talk about feeling more natural.

I left it at that as I was sure that I had 'over shot' myself....very tired. I am going to rest for a couple of days then hit some more targets for practice. Can't wait really, I have a feeling things are going to be a little different... ;)

Thanks to all for giving advice in the other thread, goes to show, you just need to take the time to 'find it' sometimes...

Who wants to buy a compound bow? ;)

later people...by the way, I came second, but there was only 2 of us in the lonbow division and the other guy shot his PB, so if your reading this Mick, well done! It was a fun day.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:28 am

Congrats Guy!!! Not on coming second :wink: but on having a winning attitude. Really glad you sorted a few things out and are nailing your share of targets.

A timely warning might be appropriate here though - before you pick that bow up again in a couple of days (if you can wait that long) be aware that should you do this you may be overcome with the TRADITIONAL virus - it may already be tooooooooo late for you :D By the way, there is no cure.

The medical expenes will be huge also. Think about it - Physiotherapy requiring new bow after new bow to exercise those ageing muscles. Shooting gloves for protection of sore fingers. A continuous supply of arrow making equipment so you can go to the workshop and make arrows to help relieve the stresses of everyday live ect ect. :lol:

Oh, I almost forget - PAIN relieving medication for many a sore head after the Missus finds out you've bought another bow :(

Well mate, the decision is yours. If it helps any the virus isn't deadly but some of us have had it for many years now. Jeff

gundy

#3 Post by gundy » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:51 am

too late Jeff, c/c is maxed out... :(

I am still not going to hunt with the trad gear yet, not until I am more confident of my shots.

The 3d state titles are coming up at the end of this month, my wife is slowly talking me into shooting the longbow rather than the compound...she is giving a lot of support which I find strange...hmmm, maybe because it is cheaper (???). Smart woman... :?

You brought up something else in your reply, how does the 'method' differ from bow to bow? Eg. I shoot 50# now, if I pick up a 65#, after the first couple of shots etc, does the brain/hand-eye co-ordination know that trajectory is flatter, therefore changes to suit it?

I see a few people have more than one bow and I guess when goig on a hunt etc a choice might be made as to which one to take.

...or should I just shoot the same poundage always? I can handle anything up to 60-65#, nothing over.

Thx again...

erron

#4 Post by erron » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:12 pm

Great post, Guy!

Just got the package away, sorry to be tardy about that. :(

Yeah, Trad. does get its hooks into you, that's for sure!

>>>>>>
Who wants to buy a compound bow?
<<<<<<

er, not this little black duck, :lol:

cheers,

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:23 pm

G'day Guy,

Yes, it is important to hunt with equipment that you are proficient with. However, if you are prepared to limit your shots on game to the distance that you are accurate to with your longbow there is no problem. Getting within two metres of game can be tough though hey? :P

As for the question about bow weights. I have found that, for me at least, a change in weights doesn't seem to make much differenc at all. It usually only takes a few shots and the old brain seems to automatically adjust.

I believe that it is best to shoot the one bow all the time. You get to know the bow and arrows and it really builds your confidence when it matters - when your shooting at game. About the only time I change bows is when I use my selfbow as opposed to my longbow. Jeff

gundy

#6 Post by gundy » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:06 pm

Got the parcel today Erron! I know what I will be doing tonight... ;)

Jeff, I feel really confident at ranges up to 20-25 yds. So you are probably right, I should go out and see what happens.

Well, I could not wait a couple of days to shoot again, so last night I found myself out at the practice range again, and bugger me, I have improved slightly, although still a long way to go.

Hopefully Erron's package can help me out... :D

hennypenny

#7 Post by hennypenny » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:35 pm

Gundy, I let my 'other' half spend as he pleases...but, there is method in my madness. :P
I do a dollar for dollar thing..lol..for every one he spends on 'bowstuff' I get to spend too..its a win/win situation :D
Peace always +

erron

#8 Post by erron » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:38 pm

henny, I could swear you've been talking to my wife :wink:

I've just finished the Traditional Bowhunters Club of Australia page, and uploaded a new home page to get there by. Let me know what you think.

Good to hear you got the package so quick, Guy. Hope it helps.

By the way, be sure to keep us up to date here on your Fallow exploits, if possible? That sounds like a GREAT place you've got permission to hunt in!

cheers all,

Erron
Last edited by erron on Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gundy

#9 Post by gundy » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:53 pm

Sounds like HP has been talking to my wife too! ;)

Erron,

it was a fantastic place, seriously, I have not been this excited about a property since I started bowhunting 15 odd years ago. The only thing I can see changing, is the sights, wheels and release aid will eventually get left at home... :D

I 'watched' your package at lunchtime, wow, talk about an eye opener...I have work to do...

Mark

#10 Post by Mark » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:11 pm

Sorry about my ignorance but TBC, BTW you lost me!

Mark

erron

#11 Post by erron » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:24 pm

Sorry Mark, I'm a lazy typist :oops:

BTW is short for By The Way. It's a TLA: Three Letter Acronym (seriously, that's what they're called :) ) There is a thread I posted in the FAQ campsite that covers most of the usual ones. Worth a read, if only for a giggle.

TBC is unforgivably slack on my part: Traditional Bowhunters Club of Australia. I'll go and edit that post now.

On the subject of the Traditional Bowhunters Club of Australia, check out the main page link to an information page regarding the club I put up this afternoon.

cheers,

Erron