The Huntingdale

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

The Huntingdale

#1 Post by GrahameA » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi All

The Huntingdale was originally shot at Grange Company of Target Archers and is now shot at Grange Bowmen.

Originating query:
http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4373

A quick trip back in time. All photos courtesy of Dale Marsh. (And they may have been taken by someone else even earlier.)
Attachments
The Shield and Competitors
The Shield and Competitors
7.jpg (62.19 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Tom Petrie and Tom Hannay
Tom Petrie and Tom Hannay
6.jpg (39.1 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Competitors
Competitors
5.jpg (62.03 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Max Flower (?), Max O'Reilly and Lucy O'Relly.
Max Flower (?), Max O'Reilly and Lucy O'Relly.
4.jpg (36.36 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Reg O'Reilly and Dale Marsh with the first arrows on the first target.
Reg O'Reilly and Dale Marsh with the first arrows on the first target.
3.jpg (37.9 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Dale Marsh
Dale Marsh
2.jpg (28.42 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Pin from the first Huntungdale
Pin from the first Huntungdale
1.jpg (27.01 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Glenn Newell

#2 Post by Glenn Newell » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:27 pm

Thanks for posting the photos Grahame, the photos are a little bit before my time but I do know most of the people in the photos especially in the Shield and Competitors photo. That photo looks like it was taken at Bob Dorings "Omaru Park" in the early 70's, looks like target one in the background...Glenn...

perry

#3 Post by perry » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Wonderfull old photo's Graham ,theres a few faces I recognise in those photos as well from my early days at the Grange company of Archers and Grange Bowhunters.Thanks for posting them.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:07 pm

From memory the first Huntingdale Shoot I attended was at the Grange Bowhunters when they were out at Trouts Road and the round was shot with broadheads.
Daryl.

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:29 am

Good Morning Darryl. Perry and Glenn

Thank you for the feedback.

Dale has been kind enough to lend me his photo album which has some photos from the 1960's and then a huge jump to the 1990's.

Even so, it is fascinating to look at the old photos and I even do not even know the people. But the equipment they are using is real history. Plus there are some great names there.

Very helpful is the bit of feedback from you putting a bit more information to the pahotos - people, time and location.

All I know about the Huntingdale is that the first was shot along the banks of the creek next to Grange CTA and Dale Marsh both set out the course and won it.

There are a few photos of the '64 Archery Nationals etc. in it so for me it has been an education.

Please feel free to add more photos to the thrad and any iformation you have about it.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Glenn Newell

#6 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:24 am

Grahame, the Grange archery club is where I first learnt to shoot a bow in 1975 I think, I get confused with dates now,I wish I had of kept records from back then. Peter Macey (looks like him third from the left in Shield and Competitors photo) at the club took me down to the field range down on the creek when he found out I wanted to bowhunt. It was a good time back then and no compounds around then even though they showed up around that time. Looks like Keith Keddie from Aracauria Archery in the striped shirt far right.
I think the best shoots I have ever been to in my life were at Bob Dorings Omaru Park, it is also the site where ABA was formed when the bowhunting greats of the day met in an attempt to save bowhunting after it was banned in Tasmania. I will have to have a dig through my old slides now...Glenn...

perry

#7 Post by perry » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:03 pm

I am constantly surprised at the number of people who began there Archery lives in the Grange Company of Archers or the Grange Bowhunters clubs . Even though I recognised many of the faces in those photos I was struggling to come up with names , thanks Glenn for jogging my memory. Those two clubs have a facsinating history .Sad to say I think its been mostly forgotten down at the Grange Bowmen , theres still one or two oldtimers downthere that I'll make extra effort to pump for information next time I see them . regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:03 pm

Those photos are well before my time but there are also some familiar faces to me also.

Roger Walker is far left in the fifth photo and 4th from right (standing at back) in the shield photo. Bob Doring 3rd from right in shield photo and Chris Lhotka (spelling) sitting at the front. There are probably others but can't tell from the old photos. I didn't pick Keith Keddie or Peter Macey in the photos for example until Glenn pointed them out.

My first Huntingdale shoot was at the Grange Bowhunters in Trouts Rd also. It was in 1981 and Jude and I were members of the North Albert Bowhunters club at the time. It's a shame that a lot of the clubs have changed their names away from Bowhunters now days.

I have attached a photo of Jude at the 1981 shoot. She is scratching the belly of 'Arnold' the pet boar that the Grange Bowhunters had wandering around their club grounds. Whenever a shoot was on he'd come down for a free feed and to get some attention.

Thanks for the photos Grahame and I look forward to seeing any more that others may have.

Jeff
Attachments
Arnold-the-pig.jpg
Arnold-the-pig.jpg (82.26 KiB) Viewed 2563 times

GrahameA

#9 Post by GrahameA » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:03 pm

Hi Perry and Glenn

Well chaps, I guess it is time for you to dig through your photo collections and see what else can be dragged up from the path. What with these photos and Ants Australian Bowyers (http://www.ozbow.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4309) it is becoming Nostalgia Alley.

Now some photos of Omaru Park would be nice. :D
Grahame.

Glenn Newell

#10 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:07 pm

The Grange Company of Bowmen were the original club at Stafford( or is it Salisbury) and the Grange Bowhunters came after when bowhunting became very popular. Dennis Lambert who is one of bowhuntings gentlemen and the first bowhunter to kill a red stag legallyunder the tag system in Queensland, is to the right of Chris Lotka in the front from the Roving Bowhunters from Widgee (they were nicknamed Raving Bowhunters, real good bunch of blokes they were). Fourth from the left back row is Alan Podlich, second from the right in the back row is Jim Taylor (not sure about Taylors christen name). I have a slide of Jim and Pod in a foot race to decide who should be the winner of the Field Tournament when they tied. They were going to have a shoot off for first but Pod decided to have the foot race up the track instead which is just behind the group photo, that was about 1976.
I have sat around that camp fire many times at night at many shoots, Bob Dorings workshop is on that site now which has been sold since.
I have been thinking of getting some of my early slides copied onto a dvd, I will do that over Christmas and post some... Glenn...

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:17 am

Hi Glenn

That sounds good.

Stafford - Salisbury is on the Southside of Bris'.

I will do a print of this thread and give it to Dale when I see him on Monday.
Grahame.

dawallace45

#12 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:27 am

I think it was about 1976 that I started shooting , it was with Brisbane Valley Bowhunters ,

Those names from the pictures certainly bring back memories

I still remember some of the colourful characters I used to meet at the club and most certainly at the inter-club shoots , Grange Bowhunters , North Albert and let us not forget Renegade Bowhunters certainly had more than their fair share of characters , a great many of them were true gentlemen of the sport , when turning up to a big shoot a number of people always stood out , Roger Walker , Allan Podlich, Ted Mitchell just to mention a few , a young feller by the name of Brett Bullfin [ not sure of spelling ] tended to blend into the background right up to when he started to shoot then he really tended to stand out ,

Peter Macy and Kerry Wruth were another couple of characters , both very likeable people whether you agreed with them or not , Peter tried to get me interested in building bows about 28 years ago , always been sorry I didn't take him up on it , one thing I do remember well , we had a meeting to discuss holding a fun shoot to raise money for our new range , we needed ideas to make it better and more memorable than those held in the past , there were about 10 of us at the meeting , between 8 of us we probably come up with about 4 ideas , peter handed in about 2 pages of ideas , all solid workable stuff but Kerry had come up with over ten pages of ideas , much of it too far out there for the more conservative of us there but most of it good workable ideas , those two guys used to come up with so many new ideas about so many things I just couldn't keep up , I used to run into Bob Doring regularly at gunshows and such up until I moved about 10 years ago , was still very much a character and always good to talk to , any one know if Peter Macy is still alive ? are many of the old crowd still shooting ?

David

Glenn Newell

#13 Post by Glenn Newell » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:21 am

My memory is getting bad Grahame, I think it is Stafford now, it was on the North side and I'm fairly sure the creek it is on is Kedron Brook, even though I come from Brisbane I grew up in Sandgate-Shorncliffe area.
David thanks for mentioning Kerry Wuth, you're right they put a lot of thought into archery in those days, as far as I know Peter Macey is still alive, I went around to his place in the early seventies to have a look at his bow building exploits. You were flat out moving around his place as he use to make all of the animal targets for the Grange Company of Bowmen, he had cardboard and targets everywhere, it was fantastic...Glenn...

perry

#14 Post by perry » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:51 pm

Peter macey is still kicking ,wish Ihad some old photo's from the 70's to share
One fond memory I have of the Grange bowhunters was when they had a chook shoot [ cardboard ] with a frozen chook as a prize and some mischeavious reporting in the local rag landed the club in hot water.
As a young tacker I was impressed by gents such as Roger Walker & Dick Coates rest his soul and a true gentleman Merve Kelly.Of course Pod ,Mike O'Niel are still about - the list is endless
I was rapt with the photo Jeff posted of Arnold , 90 kilo's or so of barrow , does any one remember the time someone who'd had a few tried to pinch him ,Arnold tore up the inside of his car . Heaven help you if you didnt share your cream bun with him aswell regards Perry

- Charles Darwin

dawallace45

#15 Post by dawallace45 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:16 pm

Glen
Last time I was around Peters place [ many many years ago ] he was building bows , kayaks and tomahawks as well as a lot of other stuff , I have a feeling the man never actually slept

Perry
Yep , remember Arnold , still remember the time he pinched my sandwich right out of my hand , thought he was going to take one of my fingers with it , my cry of pain didn't seem to faze him at all , he actually come back and laid down beside me trying to look cute so as to get another sandwich , the bugger had all the cheek in the world

Any one know if Brett Bullfin is still shooting ?

David

perry

#16 Post by perry » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:53 pm

Brett married a mates sister , theyve split now and have 2 teenage sons I think . I spoke to his boys a few years ago and they said they and Brett still shoot but only on private property , nothing with any organization Gotta be 10 0r 12 years since I spoke to him . Sorry Icant help more

- Charles Darwin