Whatcha hunt??

General discussions. Politics, scuttlebutt, whatever: you're getting married, changing jobs, got a gripe or a compliment, dying to get out with the bow etc.....

Moderator: Moderators

Sewer Rat

Whatcha hunt??

#1 Post by Sewer Rat » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:35 pm

I know that you have lil piggies in some areas, and indian buffalo (or are they asian?)... but what else do you guys hunt out there?? Is there any native species that is huntable, or is it all imported stuff gone "bad".....

I keep figgering that by the time I can afford it, Africa will be totally out of the equation, so am starting to think about Australia and/or New Zealand....
Toodle Pip, Ta Ta, Old Chap

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:00 pm

G'day Sewer Rat,

Nearly all game hunted in Australia is introduced (feral). As you said, pigs are probably hunted the most of any. Other introduced game includes, goats, fox, wild dogs, rabbits, cats, donkeys, camels, scrub bulls (wild cattle), and six species of deer.

About the only native animal I can think of that you can hunt would be the dingo. Jeff

Sewer Rat

#3 Post by Sewer Rat » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:39 am

Do you guyz have public hunting land, or do you have to gain permission to hunt properties (remember from Crocodile Dundee movie that ranches, er stations are huge)... is there a season on these critters??

erron

#4 Post by erron » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:49 am

Rat, it varies state by state. Here in victoria, you can hunt on some public land, and that's where a lot of the Sambar are. Other states I hear tell you can't hunt on any public land. Some states have just banned crossbows, others are in the early stages of changing laws relating to hunting with bows in general. Some of this is good, some, bad news.

The overall state is a shambles, and one thing I'd like to do is provide a link to somewhere all this can be read in the one place. Failing that, we may have to do it here on Ozbow, ourselves.

Others will have info. on the situation in their state. Dennis La Varenne has extensive experience fighting on behalf of bowhunters in OZ, but after a long stint is taking some time off, I understand. So, we may not hear from him for a while. :cry:

cheers,

Erron

Sewer Rat

#5 Post by Sewer Rat » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:21 pm

Well cool.... and here I thought it was all pay-to-hunt or come-n-git-it-fer-rodents....

We got Sambar on a Fed Widlife management area that is an island. Been tryin fer two years ta get a tag (its a lottery system). The island usta be a rich dudes play ground, and the pigs and sambar are the only things (other then the native white tail deer) that survived... oh yeah and I guess the island is infested wid snakies too.....

Thats cool though that you have some public areas... do you guys have alotta crazies aka bunny-huggers over there??

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:52 pm

Sewer Rat,

Yes we do have bunny-huggers over here. You sure have a way with words :lol:

All my hunting is done on private property and this is the case with a lot of us over here. In a majority of cases we hunt for free. By that I mean the property owners don't charge us to hunt but I always make sure we take gifts for them eg: seafood, food stuff they don't regularly get in the outback. Also it is always good to be able to give the owners a helping hand when we see they need it.

We appreciate the privilage to hunt on their properties and they appreciate the little things we can do for them.

I'm from Queensland and to my knowledge we can't hunt on public lands. Jeff

Glenn Newell

#7 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:58 pm

Sewer Rat we can hunt our native dog the dingo but that's it the rest is all feral, the buffalo we have are Timor buffalo. In Queensland it's all private property hunting, but access is getting harder to get and with all of this liability insurance it will get a lot harder because property owners wll be reluctant to let visitors on incase they get sued if they hurt thenselves on the proterty...Glenn...

gundy

#8 Post by gundy » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:27 pm

I guess I am a little different to you guys up north. Most of the hunting areas around these parts are public.

So, when are you guys going to come down and come and hunt Sambar with me and Erron?

Traditional gear only! That should be a challenge...

Seriously, I would be glad to swap a hunt with any of you fine stickbow folk...